Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2015, 23:47   #16

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Engine oil disappearing.

If OP doesn't already have manuals here are the links.

http://westerbeke.com/technical%20ma...r_tech_man.pdf

The above will be of use as it gives you a pretty explanation of how to test your engine for compression issues and other general trouble shooting info.

http://westerbeke.com/technical%20ma...r_tech_man.pdf

The above is the general link to the Manufacturer's manuals, parts lists, bulletins, and other really useful info page.

I'm fairly sure that there isn't an oil cooler on the W27, but again I haven't looked at one with mine own eyes, I've just perused the manuals linked above. There could be a transmission oil cooler depending on the type of transmission but that shouldn't be the problem here.

Old 17-03-2015, 23:53   #17

Boat: production yacht, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I had a similar experience "losing" oil, on a delivery trip: no oil in the bilge, no oil in the (fresh) cooling water, no water in the engine oil.......
Engine was hard to start, could not see blue smoke, no oil slick on the following seas.......
Using nearly 1 lt per hour.
Engine just had a complete (many $000) overhaul.

It took a mechanic more than a day to find the cause: the airfilter got sucked in, and on top of the inlet, severely restricting airflow, so the engine sucked up oil past the new rings.....

Old 18-03-2015, 04:48   #18

Probably combusting the oil because of faulty rings.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:31   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
One minute you say its raw water cooled, the next you describe a fresh water cooled arrangement.

How hard can it be to LOOK and see if there is oil cooler?
I have an antifreeze loop cooled by raw water through a heat exchanger. I would say that is raw water cooled. Others say that although I have a heat exchanger, there is an antifreeze loop directly cooling the engine, without a fan or radiator, and that is a fresh water cooling system. You tell me what you want to call it.

I have searched the whole engine (that I can get to) and all the manuals (parts and overhaul) and can not find any item that is called an oil cooler. I can not find any oil lines going to the heat exchanger. How hard can it be to look? Very. If you can't find something you don't know for sure exists, how do you know you haven't missed it?
Old 20-03-2015, 09:35   #20

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Thanks, I do have these manuals.

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that there isn't an oil cooler on the W27, but again I haven't looked at one with mine own eyes, I've just perused the manuals linked above. There could be a transmission oil cooler depending on the type of transmission but that shouldn't be the problem here
Exactly my problem. I do know there is no transmission cooler though, I replaced the transmission two years ago.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:43   #21
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I doubt that the oil is going into the cylinders and burning. 3 quarts in 7 hours I think would make for a pretty smokey exhaust and you would notice so I would believe it is leaking into the raw water cooling system. While I don't know anything about a Westerbeke W27 engine it does appear to have an oil cooler as it links to threads here on CF for replacement units.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:59   #22

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I have an antifreeze loop cooled by raw water through a heat exchanger. I would say that is raw water cooled. Others say that although I have a heat exchanger, there is an antifreeze loop directly cooling the engine, without a fan or radiator, and that is a fresh water cooling system. You tell me what you want to call it.

FWIW, in common parlance, and hoping this is useful...

Your system is called a freshwater-cooled system. Fresh water, more likely a mix of anti-freeze and fresh water, courses through the engine block's cooling passages. That freshwater (anti-freeze) is then cooled itself by raw water as they both run through separate tubes in the heat exchanger.

A raw water-cooled system literally runs raw (sea, lake, whatever) water through the engine block's cooling passages, there's no fresh water (nor anti-freeze), and no heat exchanger.

-Chris
Old 20-03-2015, 10:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post

I have searched the whole engine (that I can get to) and all the manuals (parts and overhaul) and can not find any item that is called an oil cooler. I can not find any oil lines going to the heat exchanger. How hard can it be to look? Very. If you can't find something you don't know for sure exists, how do you know you haven't missed it?
The standard terminology is a little confusing, but your system is a fresh water cooling system. It's not a matter of what I want to call it, that is an industry standard. A raw water system is one where the salt water is directly circulated through the engine.

If you had an oil cooler it would not use the main heat exchanger. It would usually be one that connects to the oil filter housing, and to the fresh cooling system. Usually. Look for oil lines leading away from the base where the oil filter screws on.

Tags
engine, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: