Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 11:42   #1

Boat: Boatless
Engine Oil Change Frequency

When I lived in the North and the boat was hauled each fall I'd change the oil, both engine and gear box. I'd generally have run 50-60 hours each season. But now I'm in the South and in the water all year. I only put 35-40 hours on the engine per year. Should I still change annually or wait until I get to some hour mark, e.g 75 hours, before doing so? Also, if I use synthetic oil can I hold off longer on time before an oil change?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:53   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Engine Oil Change Frequency

Do you think you get more moisture in the crankcase now or before? Water makes acid and such. The molecules in the oil itself only break up from wear I believe.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Yanmar Manual states: "every 250 hours or 1 year" after the first initial oil change.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

So what engine do you have and what does the manufacturer say? For example, my Universal/Westebeke manual says to change engine oil and filter every 100 hours and transmission every 250 hours, after the first time each at 50 hours. Seems like 50 or 75 hours is way overkill, but follow the manual. I'm no diesel mechanic, but you may find one to chat up at the local yard. I'll bet that synthetic is just wasted money for a small diesel and you'd be better off spending that on better quality beer.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:28   #5

Cant go wrong following the manufactures advice but changing more frequently wont hurt either, in our fleet we change @150 hrs (manufacturers recommendation was 250 hrs), since doing this we have gained on average up to 5000 Hrs of engine life in some cases, (our vessels normally run hard and 24/7).

Changing @ 75 hours sounds like way to soon, some older small engines dont have oil filters and therefore yes 75 hours would be good for that.

Even if not used frequently I would change seasonally as sitting around in the sump oil will degrade over time due to water/acids forming once used.

I would also change the coolant (if used?) every second year (max 3) as coolant turns very acidic over time (especially just sitting)and find this is one of the most over looked item in smaller privately owned vessels.

I would stay with conventional oil (good quality) as the synthetics really dont do to much in smaller engines to justify the additional cost
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 22:35   #6
cruiser

The Yanmar oil gets changed once per year, less than 250 hours. The same with our Westerbeke generator. Takes less than an hour to do both.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 22:58   #7

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Depends on usage.
Some long haul trucks on easy runs change every 400 hours while the same truck with heavy loads & steep grades it might be 200hours.
One critical thing is to see the engine oil regularly gets warm enough for long enough to evaporate condensation.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 23:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
One critical thing is to see the engine oil regularly gets warm enough for long enough to evaporate condensation.
Is this realistic? Mine goes through a cooler and never seems to get warmer than lukewarm.

I change every 100 or every 6 months. Whichever comes first.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 23:25   #9

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Is this realistic? Mine goes through a cooler and never seems to get warmer than lukewarm.

Can't see anything wrong with that.
OTOH if you were motorsailing days on end with a good engine, then 400hrs would work well.
An old engine with blow-back - more frequently.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22   #10

Boat: 1988 Hunter Legend 35

As I understand it, diesels are liable to have much more carbon in the oil which is not so good to leave lying in the crank case during the off season as it can join with any condensate to form acid.

I change oil and filter at the end of every season even though I put max 20-30 hrs in a season (off/on the hook and maybe a jaunt around NYC harbour), quite honestly it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24   #11

The best way to know what's happening with the engine and oil is send it for testing. I use Blackstone Labs, very reliable. Otherwise, every 250/once a year.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:31   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I would be concerned running an engine on luke warm oil. Engine oil needs to reach an operating temp of 150-180 degrees to work effectively.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

My 1978 W30 westerbeke manual recommends changing engine oil every 250 hrs or annually. Use manual recommended oil changed at end of every season along w/ filter. Engine has been rebuilt once by PO approximately late 1990's (no receipts). Currently about 2400 hrs on meter. Compression check 2.5 yrs ago (when purchased) was good and consistent across all 4 cylinders. Hoping she lasts another 20, years that is..
thnks
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedivebc View Post
I would be concerned running an engine on luke warm oil. Engine oil needs to reach an operating temp of 150-180 degrees to work effectively.
Well, it was designed that way by Yanmar.

It does make me somewhat nervous, however, and it's one reason why i change the oil frequently.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29   #15

Every 80 hrs or so. Fresh oil before winter lay up.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, engine, oil, oil change