Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Engine Oil Analysis

Greetings,
I have a perkins 4107 and been dealing with some oil issues. I think my engine oil is reproducing as the level is getting higher. Good news for our domestic energy needs but probably not good for my engine. So here is the question, anyone sent out a sample for analysis of fuel contamination. I have searched google and found papers and labs but I want some first hand opinions.
Engine was blowing oil due to old hoses and gaskets and got them all sealed and pressure holds steady at 40 PSI so it all new oil in crankcase.
Thanks
Rich
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Engine Oil Analysis

Yeah, plenty of labs will analyze yer oil for $20.00 or so.
Did that on my 4-108 when I bought the boat and sure enough, they found 6% diesel in the oil.
Have since analysed the oil half a dozen times over 13 years to look for trouble. Wise investment indeed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Yeah, plenty of labs will analyze yer oil for $20.00 or so.
Did that on my 4-108 when I bought the boat and sure enough, they found 6% diesel in the oil.
Have since analysed the oil half a dozen times over 13 years to look for trouble. Wise investment indeed.
Did you locate the source of the leak? From what I have found possible sources are manual lift pump diaphram, injection pump seals and blow-by past piston.
Thanks for you response.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53   #4

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
Greetings,
I have a perkins 4107 and been dealing with some oil issues. I think my engine oil is reproducing as the level is getting higher. Good news for our domestic energy needs but probably not good for my engine. So here is the question, anyone sent out a sample for analysis of fuel contamination. I have searched google and found papers and labs but I want some first hand opinions.
Engine was blowing oil due to old hoses and gaskets and got them all sealed and pressure holds steady at 40 PSI so it all new oil in crankcase.
Thanks
Rich
I had an engine problem that was somewhat baffling. I had white smoke at start-up and some loss of power, but otherwise engine started quickly and seemed to run OK. I had the engine oil analyzed and was shocked by result. They said engine was "critical" because of signs of antifreeze in oil and high wear levels of engine metals. This info prompted me to buy a compression gauge and I found very low compression on one piston. This led to a tear-down and I found a small crack in cylinder head and piston was badly pitted from anti-freeze leak thru the crack. The oil analysis was right on the money. I used this company and was pleased with results Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Sampling Methods . Their summary was in non-technical language and they sure saved me from a complete engine failure.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:28   #5

Boat: CS 36t

I have used Blackstone Labs many times including problems with fuel in the oil. It can't tell you exactly where the fuel came from but it will confirm that it is fuel and let you know whether there is anything else. It is never a bad investment to get it done.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

"Making oil" is mostlikelya faulty lift pump....if the oil isn't milky colored

If is milky....it is water
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39   #7

Oil seems black/grey but it is new oil. I have seen engines with water iun them mine looks all oil. I saw Blackstown labs so I will try them. I think I will also buy a new lift pump probably due anyway. It is trial and error so start with cheap simple stuff first.
Old 08-08-2011, 14:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good idea on the lift pump but you could just pull yours and very carefully check the diaphragm for a pin hole leak with a good light.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:57   #9

I ordered a new pump from TAD for about $51. Hopefully this is it cause it gets more expensive as the next fix candidate is attempted (injector pump). But i think I will also do a compression test first just to rule out piston problem.

If it is not, the old lift pump will go into the spares drawer. I think the engine is original on the boat which is 1975 and the lift pump looks original.
Thanks for all the help.
Rich
Old 15-08-2011, 10:47   #10

Follow up: Got the lift pump from TAD and removed old pump. Bad news, new pump from TAD does not match my pump. My pump attaches with four bolts the one they sent attaches with 2 bolts. After talking with them they said I have a 4108 not 4017 engine. Which surprizes me cause my engine block is stampled with 107 SSN.
Anyway I removed my old lift pump and took it apart and checked diaphram. Looked OK. I put it back together and pumped it by hand holding finger on suction side and it produced a suction that held. So I do not think this pump is bad. I put it back on and checked engine oil level and marked it on a piece of paper. I then ran the engine for 15 minutes and checked engine oil level again and there was not signifigant change. That is good. So I think next weekend I will take it for a longer spin to see what happens......
Old 29-08-2011, 11:01   #11

Went to boat over weekend during hurricane Irene and checked oil level. I marked on a piece of paper level last time I checked and then today. Level was about 1/8 inch higher. I got the kit from Blackstone and will send in after I run engine next weekend. In the meantime:

So it looks like to get to pull the injector pump next weekend. So besides TAD in Virginia is there anybody else near me in Georgetown on the Sassafras that can check out the pump?
Will I harm the engine if I bleed a little bit of the oil out and run it for a couple of hours?
Thanks
Old 29-08-2011, 12:15   #12

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

I had a similar problem with my 4108. Changed the lift pump which did not cure the problem. We looked further and found the IP seal was leaking and that the water pump">raw water pump bearing was also leaking into the engine. The leak hole in the RW pump was blocked and as my engine is reverse mounted, it was not easily seem.
Good luck
Mark
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:24   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
Went to boat over weekend during hurricane Irene and checked oil level. I marked on a piece of paper level last time I checked and then today. Level was about 1/8 inch higher. I got the kit from Blackstone and will send in after I run engine next weekend. In the meantime:

So it looks like to get to pull the injector pump next weekend. So besides TAD in Virginia is there anybody else near me in Georgetown on the Sassafras that can check out the pump?
Will I harm the engine if I bleed a little bit of the oil out and run it for a couple of hours?
Thanks
Not an expert here but it is my understanding that diesel oil is different from gasoline in that it is a lubricant. I have the same problem as you do on a yanmar engine. I was told by a wise mechanic in Mexico that it would be a good idea to change the oil. Run the engine for a half hour with the new oil and then to change the oil again. I resolved the problem with the lift pump by bypassing it completely and installing an electric lift pump. When I returned home from Mexico I replaced the lift pump but am once again having the creating oil problem. Long story short. The diesel will decrease the viscosity of the engine. The question as to whether it will damage the engine or not depends on the level of diesel contamination. I have been told that the contamination can also come from injectors that are not atomizing the fuel properly.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:24   #14

Boat: CS36T

Did you run the motor this time before checking the oil? It could be that the oil is running back out of the engine when it has time to sit. The engine passages and oil filter hold a significant amount of oil and it takes some time for them to drain back down into the pan. i usually find my oil level slightly higher before startup if it has sat for some time.
brindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brindal View Post
Did you run the motor this time before checking the oil? It could be that the oil is running back out of the engine when it has time to sit. The engine passages and oil filter hold a significant amount of oil and it takes some time for them to drain back down into the pan. i usually find my oil level slightly higher before startup if it has sat for some time.
I did not run the motor. (sat for 2 weeks after last run) I thought about this and will do this before I send a sample to Blackstone to veryify that oil drain did not happen.

Tags
engine