Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 18:19   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Engine not starting after filter change

Anyone any ideas? Just changed the secoundary fuel filter and blead the lines but engine will not start . Purchased Nigel Calders book {boat owners mechanical and electrical manual} and have done all he says. ie bleed line from lift pump to secoundary filter,bleed fuel injection pump, undone banjo nut on injector and turned over motor to make sure diesel is getting to head. Calder says if all this is happening that the engine cannot help but start! well mines not!

does anyone have any ideas what am i missing.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:23   #2

What kind of sound does it make? Is there compression? Is it especially cold?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:57   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
You left your compression lever in the up position.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Are you getting fuel when you crack your injection lines a bit?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:01   #5
TOM

It makes the normal cranking sound ,the engine did actually start after i changed the filter but died after about 3 secounds ,the engine does not have a compression lever or auto shutoffs
Old 18-02-2009, 19:04   #6
TOM

Hi David yes fuel is coming thru ,that is whats so frustating everything that is supossed to be happening for the motor to start appears to be right.
Old 18-02-2009, 19:05   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Air.

Bleed nearest spot to engine.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:11   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
If you will be cranking (bleeding) using the battery be sure to read up on closing the raw water intake. if it is open raw water can be pumped inot the cylinders. If there is no exhaust gas the water lift will not be working.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:12   #9
TOM

That would be the fuel injector have done that
Old 18-02-2009, 19:21   #10

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
When it turned over did it sound uneven?

After I first replaced the primary filter in the BD it would never seal again, letting air back into the system.

How far from your primary filter to the fuel pump?

Damn boats can be frustrating.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:32   #11
TOM

primary filter to fuel pump is about 18 inches . also i should mention i have a gravity fed header tank which is supposed to make things easy! . The injectors spurt out drops of diesel when i crank a drop then a gap then another drop is this right or shpuld it be a continoues flow?
Old 18-02-2009, 21:32   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Open your throttle to about 3/4 then crank the engine with the injector lines cracked open. The fuel should have some "spurt" to it. Make sure the engine shutoff is not pulled/engaged. If you have a waterlift muffler....drain it down...back pressure will cause an engine to not start.

Do NOT use ether to get the engine running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 22:05   #13
TOM

OH NO! I did try using Aerostart without turning on the glow plugs however it did not start the engine hope i have not done damage.I have tried cranking motor with just one injector line open ,should i open them all? have checked engine shut off and muffler is clear
Old 19-02-2009, 00:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Battery?

Have you checked how good the battery is? Diesel engines need a decent spin to get the intake air hot enough to ignite the diesel which is sprayed in by the injectors.

It may be worth pulling the battery off the boat, taking it to a battery shop and getting them to check it, and if it is OK to fully charge it.

My guess is that you have a series of problems and only when they are mostly fixed will the engine run.

My suggestions:-
1) Starter - Check that all connections are nice and snug with no corrosion evident. It may even be worth unbolting the cables one by one and checking them off the engine. Replace any suspect ones. If it does not spin freely with a good battery it may need further checking.
2) Battery - As previously described.
3) Air leaks in the fuel system - Check all hoses and clamps and replace them if they look old or suspect. Double check all filter "O" rings or seals and ensure that filters are totally full of fuel.
4) If you have a lift pump replace it.
5) Take off your air filter.

Some have suggested warming the engine or the intake air with a hair dryer or similar. Others may be able to comment on this.

At this point make sure that NO bodily parts or clothing can get caught up in rotating machinery. Even a small engine can do serious damage.

5) If there is an air bleed point on the injector pump crack it while cranking until clear (no bubbles) fuel comes out.
6) Crack the nut on top of the first injector. Crank the engine until there is a "spurt" of clear fuel.
7) Tighten the nut, and crank the engine. If it does not start then do the second injector.

If this does not work then I think that you are getting into the relm of compression tests, checking the timing and so on.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 06:40   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Tom,
How was the engine running prior to change?
If it was starting ok, then open all injector lines at injector.
Have someone crank the engine over while you watch the injector lines/injectors.
If you have a a spurt at each injector tighten them up and then try to start.
If you supect you have aproblem with glow plugs, get a heat gun and heat the air uo going into the engine.
A one time use of Aerostart probably has not caused any damage.......It is never ever ever used with a glow plug assisted engine.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the engine is not seeming to be up to the normal cranking speed, get the batteries checked/charged. Glow plugs and starter are a heavy drain on a battery.

What kind of engine is it?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine