Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 08:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Engine Noise

My question is general and broad in nature .

Which of the major diesel engines built in the last 15 or so years is the quietest?

I own a Perkins Prima 50 designed in the late 80's and produced for about 15 years 89 to 2001. In looking for a new to me boat I would like a quiet engine. I know quiet is relative and reliability and operating expenses are #1.

The new engine manufacturers seem to be Yanmar, Volvo , a few Westerbeeke and others.

I believe Yanmar is the engine of choice however how does it compare to the noise level.

Has anyone installed Sound down or something similar noise insulation in the engine compartment and if so did it make a noticeable improvement?

Thanks

Fletch

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Engine Noise

It would be a common rail engine, which one I don't know, but would bet common rail and turbo
It's possible to quieten down a common rail to almost spark ignition levels of NVH
NVH stands for Noise, Vibration and Harshness
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:32   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Surprised you're letting go of your 400. I've found the quietness of the Prima 50 and Beneteau's installation to be slightly above average compared to other sailboats I've been aboard. On a previous boat I installed the expensive sound insulation only to find it didn't make a huge difference. I determined a lot of the noise to be the result of vibration and the installation of the exhaust system/waterlift muffler. Not that I wouldn't have wanted the insulation, just that addressing the other issues would have made a bigger difference.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:34   #4

Yanmars in general seem to be comparatively quiet. Although today I think the Beta/Kubota are more the engine of choice, I've not had a Beta though. It's a good question. A Nanni/Mercedes was probably the noisiest I've had.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:47   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I used my Yanmar for a season with no insulation. After adding Sound Down insulation to 3 sides and the top of my engine box, I can report that it made a big difference - much quieter. Money well spent.

I look forward finishing the job. However, insulating the rear of the engine area will be a challenge as this is where all of the electrical, plumbing, and drive shaft connections are located.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:52   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Do the sound proofing right and it won't matter what engine you have. I doubt any brand is that much quieter than any other.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Do the sound proofing right and it won't matter what engine you have. I doubt any brand is that much quieter than any other.

The Common rail motor in my pickup would amaze you, even cold it is very quiet, not much more noisy than a gas motor, my older DI motor would raise the dead, especially when cold.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 15:33   #8

The various engine are all going to sound quite similar. If you want the lowest noise look for naturally aspirated and low rpm, then insulate the engine room very thoroughly.

That said, I'd rather have a Yanmar over a Volvo or Beta any day. Way better parts availability as you travel around.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:24   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I found both Vetus and Westerbeke relatively quiet (I think these are both Mitsubishi).

I found new Volvo very very quiet at slow revs but somewhat irritating once at fast cruising speed. The reverse with a Yanmar - very clunky idling, much smoother at higher revs. Similar sound to Volvo overall.

A Beta (I think this is Kubota) very decent sound, way finer than Volvo or Yanmar. This one was a bit noisy at slow revs but it got only somewhat louder at fast pace. Definitely a nice one.

Surprisingly (really?) the best sound I have heard in any new engine was a Bukh. Bukh was louder but the sound was lower. I may be somewhat over sensitive to high pitchy sounds.

So, I found Bukh best. Beta second best. Vetus and Westerbeke next.

All were small engines - 25 hp max, I think.

Cannot say which engine had best insulation though ... best mounts ... and how the differences in boat construction dampened or exaggerated the sound of these engines ;-(

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:29   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Common rail motor in my pickup would amaze you, even cold it is very quiet, not much more noisy than a gas motor, my older DI motor would raise the dead, especially when cold.
This!

I walked by my friend fixing his bike. His car's hood was open and the engine was running. I looked and asked what he had. He said it was a 120 hp diesel. The car is about 20 years old. Looks something Japanese.

THAT was the quietest diesel engine I have ever heard.

Why a 1/10 hp marine diesel is 10x that loud ... ??? Beyond me.

As others said, it must be the common rail technology. Not found in small marine diesels, I think (???)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:40   #11

While you are looking for a smooth quite diesel may as well look for a sail boat that don't lean ! Man you have to suffer with us hA hA
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 05:54   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

That is a sound idea!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 17:15   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Common rail designs are indeed much quieter than traditional diesels with fixed injector timing. They are also inherently more efficient... really cool, that!

BUT, they are subject to absolute reliance upon a very complicated electronic system, coupled to a very complicated injector system. This means that simple electrical failure can still its beating heart, to say nothing of more sophisticated maladies.

For me, this rules them out for auxiliary power on any long distance cruising boat, and makes them dubious in less demanding applications. Which is a pity...

Jim

PS We currently have a Kubota based Nanni engine which has been a good'un... but it is not any quieter than other similar sized conventional diesels that I've heard.
Old 18-09-2016, 19:05   #14

Thanks to EPA mandates, common rail is required for the larger sail boat engines (-100hp) so it's probably only a matter of time before all new diesels have it. No different than all new gas engines being fuel injected.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 19:40   #15

Boat: Kaufman 47

I have a Yanmar 4JH4-TE 75hp turbo in our boat. I put a lot of time into our sound proofing so can't say much if it's the engine or that work. But, I have heard that turbo desiels are quieter than comparable non-turbo engine.

You can search our site in my signature for our engine room revamp.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise