Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 11:27   #16

Re: Engine making "clackity clack" noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I thought I was the only one who listened to his diesel and heard all sorts of imaginary clanks, clunks, moans and thuds. What a relief.

Look for anything loose in a nearby locker.
haha...yep!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Loose valves usually "tick" and are usually very well timed the "clackity clack" is usually dirty injectors and is sort of a sporadic sound, old Redneck way to clean up injectors was automatic transmission fluid in the fuel, it's a high detergent oil, but best is to remove and have tested
Dont do that You will ruin the injectors.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 12:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
I'm just about to change the engine oil at the end of this summer season in my 15 year old Universal 25 HP diesel 3 cylinder engine. About 1500 hours on it.

When I took the cover off, I could distinctly hear a "clackity clack" noise. Fairly consistent at any rev speed.

Any suggestions as to what this might be ? Thanks. If you need more details, please respond. Could I record the noise and put it on this forum somehow ?
Normal sounds for a diesel. The valves, lifters, and slides all make noise. Ever hear an old diesel benz or new diesel trucks. In any event do NOT tighten anything unless you really know what your doing. Tolerances are real fine and over tightening will destroy your engine. If you really need to fuss with this engine pay the cost of having a real diesel mechanic listen to it. Maybe even take an oil sample in for analysis. Otherwise if you regularly change the oil, keep the fuel clean, and make sure it does not over or under heat, then it will last a long, long time. 80k hours not uncommon on small diesels; some even go up to over a half million hours without much fussing.
Old 22-10-2015, 12:29   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Dont do that You will ruin the injectors.
No, you won't, Marvel Mystery oil won't ruin injectors either, and if it's cold enough to be below the fuel wax point, 10% or so of gasoline won't hurt them either.
I'll never have my boat where wax precipitates out of the fuel myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Unfortunately valves tend to get tight not loose. While there is wear on the valve stem tips, rockers, lifters and cam, most often it's the valve seat and face that wear, causing the valve to sink in the head and reducing clearance.
gotta disagree there. I cant count the number of engines I have done or recomended valve adjustment due to loose ( and clacking ) valves.

valve adjustment with a solid lifter is definitely something to check. then again diesel engines do make a horrible racket when everything is right. if the noise is new or louder I would certainly be worried and investigate the change
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:30   #21

I agree with poster re Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. As they remove the sulfur from diesel fuel it reduces the lubrication that the fuel provides for the injection pump, etc. MMO is a great fuel system cleaner. I would also suggest rather than Sea Foam that you run a can of Lubro-Moly Diesel Purge through the fuel system. There are You Tube videos showing people doing it on cars. You tap into the system and run it straight until it is almost empty, then dump the rest in the tank. It reduces the noise (somewhat) on Mercedes diesels. Of course, a certain amount of the "clackety-clack" is normal.
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:33   #22

Boat: Niagara 31

Changed oil this morning. NO clackity clack !!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe old oil was getting thin or used out ??
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:34   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=macbeth;1942680] I could distinctly hear a "clackity clack" noise. QUOTE]

My guess is my ex-wife stowed away.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:42   #24

Quote:
Changed oil this morning. NO clackity clack !!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe old oil was getting thin or used out ??
Usually old oil will be full of crud, black, and heavy. Unlike gas engines where old oil may actually be good for the engine, not good for diesel. Perhaps you did not have enough oil in the engine.
Old 22-10-2015, 13:49   #25

Agree with reed1v. Level was probably down. Also, sounds like you need to shorten your oil change intervals. Oil and filters are relatively cheap. I have become a believer in synthetic oil in diesels. My Ford F-250 7.3 needs 16 quarts, so it's a pretty expensive proposition. Not so on a small marine diesel with much smaller capacity.
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
gotta disagree there. I cant count the number of engines I have done or recomended valve adjustment due to loose ( and clacking ) valves.

valve adjustment with a solid lifter is definitely something to check. then again diesel engines do make a horrible racket when everything is right. if the noise is new or louder I would certainly be worried and investigate the change
Yup, never heard of a self tightening engine. Kind of contrary to basic engineering realities. On sailboats, given the low hours they are subject to, its not even a relevant issue. Again, spend the $100 bucks to learn what a diesel should sound like, what your oil is telling you, and what the diesel mechanic thinks of your engine. A small, well running diesel makes a terrible racket, like a gum ball machine gone wild. If its not making those noises, I would be worried(excess oil, over heated, and so forth.)
Old 22-10-2015, 14:39   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

OK, so you have hydraulic lifters then?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:50   #28

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Yup, never heard of a self tightening engine. Kind of contrary to basic engineering realities.)
Really? Where does the valve go if the valve face and the seat wear? Perhaps you should re-think your reality.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 22:32   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Really? Where does the valve go if the valve face and the seat wear? Perhaps you should re-think your reality.
In another life I was a motorcycle mechanic at two dealerships. After 1000 miles of running a new bike, almost all valve clearances would be less or tight.
Not the first time Reed has spouted off about an imaginary fact.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 22:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
In another life I was a motorcycle mechanic at two dealerships. After 1000 miles of running a new bike, almost all valve clearances would be less or tight.
Not the first time Reed has spouted off about an imaginary fact.
not an absolute, it can go either way sometime valve clearance will increase other times it can decrease. some design are more likely to go one way or the other. but not always
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise