Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2012, 01:37   #1

Engine life expectancy

I have been offered a 393 oceanis 2002 with a 4JHE3 Yanmar with 4500 hrs on the clock ex charter. Any thoughts on when I would need to replace it I.e. what's a reasonable life expectancy?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:05   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Engine life expectancy

could be anytime-or not- get the oil tested-

Old 11-11-2012, 02:10   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
could be anytime-or not- get the oil tested-
And get a compression test. Just because it starts today doesn't mean it will start tomorrow (guess how I know ... ) -- in fact you can get an engine survey.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:13   #4

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

My perkins 4.236 80hp is 22 yrs old 2 yrs ago i did a total rebuild on the engine at the time of rebuild it had done only 10,000 hrs it cost me only 3,400 euros for the rebuild and is now running as sweetly as ever it would of cost me over 10,000euros to replace with equivalent new engine 4,500 hrs is nothing as long as regular service and checks your engine will keep running
Old 11-11-2012, 02:32   #5

Thanks folks for your replies which are most helpful. I will for sure get an oil analysis -thanks for the advice, and of course a compression test. Another point on the 393 is the space to do normal maintenance-fuel filters. , etc etc.how easy?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160

If the charter company is anything like the one that manages my boat, servicing is done promptly and well. (It ought to... for the price they charge!)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:41   #7

Boat: Gib sea 43

I bought an ex charter boat with a yanmar with 5300 hours on it, it now has 6500 hours on it, still starts pretty much first time, does burn a little oil, but less than half a litre between changes, i would not worry about the hours much 10,000 is apparently the going rates for yanmars, though less if a volvo or so they say.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28   #8

Boat: 46' Bestway Marque
This topic makes me curious. So thought I would chime in.

I just bought a boat with two Detroit diesels. Both engines have 10,000 hours approximately. The engine surveyor says they were serviced nicely and run great. But after reading all these threads, i am starting to wonder if they need to be rebuilt due to the hours. When do engines generally need to be rebuilt? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeg View Post
Thanks folks for your replies which are most helpful. I will for sure get an oil analysis -thanks for the advice, and of course a compression test. Another point on the 393 is the space to do normal maintenance-fuel filters. , etc etc.how easy?
Very easy to change filters on a 393 with a 4JH3E. Just be warned that replacing the impeller is a job for midgets with tiny hands and it's easier if you take the alternator off. I have about 2000 hours on mine, a 2004. So far so good. The 393 Group has tons of information and over 600 members.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjpetersen View Post
When do engines generally need to be rebuilt? Thanks.
When something goes wrong like they won't start, or are pissing oil out everywhere. I had a large Ford Dover rebuilt at 25 years. Carried on fine until the next owner ignored the need to let it cool down after a long run and failed to change the oil. He put a rod through the block in the end.

If yours are running fine, keep the oil changes up, fresh clean fuel and just use them lots

Pete
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50   #11

Boat: 46' Bestway Marque
Thank you Pete. I have a mechanic coming by next week to give me another analysis and provide a quote to rebuild.

I am a new owner and don't yet know how to captain a 50' boat yet. Why do I need to use them a lot? I turn them on once a month right now. But won't actually navigate around for a year.
Old 11-11-2012, 14:57   #12

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Thank you Pete. I have a mechanic coming by next week to give me another analysis and provide a quote to rebuild.

I am a new owner and don't yet know how to captain a 50' boat yet. Why do I need to use them a lot? I turn them on once a month right now. But won't actually navigate around for a year.
the more often you use a diesel engine (and maintain it) the better it runs. Simple (really - I mean simple) as that.
Old 11-11-2012, 15:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:

use it or lose it applies to engines too
Old 11-11-2012, 15:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Given a choice between not running them and running them lightly at tickover I would leave them alone. If you can run them in gear that would be better, but you have much more hp than the average yacht so mooring lines and cleats might be under a bit more pressure. Also keep the engines dry. A damp engine compartment will just lead to the ancils corroding away particularly over the winter with cold temperatures.

Pete
Old 11-11-2012, 15:26   #15

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

Quote:
This topic makes me curious. So thought I would chime in.

I just bought a boat with two Detroit diesels. Both engines have 10,000 hours approximately. The engine surveyor says they were serviced nicely and run great. But after reading all these threads, i am starting to wonder if they need to be rebuilt due to the hours. When do engines generally need to be rebuilt? Thanks.

There is no set amount of hours a marine diesel will last. It depends a lot on how they were run, the maintenance, and how well they were built in the first place. Hours are ambiguous, the best measure of longevity is gallons of fuel burned. You could have two engines of the same make and model one is in a sailboat and pulls only forty percent of rated power and the other in a power boat that pulls eighty percent of rated power, both engines will burn approximately the same amount of fuel before overhaul but the sailboat will have twice as many hours as the power boat. That said a Detroit that is well maintained and not being pushed to hard will be just getting broken in at the 10K mark.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: