Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 13:08   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Engine just sitting for years

The worst thing to do to a diesel is let it sit unused. Even a low hour diesel if not properly stored and proper maintenance not used can be a crap shoot. Acids in the oil from exhaust can play havoc on bearings and all moving parts internally. As is said in diesel mechanic circles. Kill it with kindness. A good diesel is like a thoroughbred, they like to be run and run often.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The worst thing to do to a diesel is let it sit unused. Even a low hour diesel if not properly stored and proper maintenance not used can be a crap shoot. Acids in the oil from exhaust can play havoc on bearings and all moving parts internally. As is said in diesel mechanic circles. Kill it with kindness. A good diesel is like a thoroughbred, they like to be run and run often.
and occasionally run hard.
Old 21-08-2019, 14:00   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
and occasionally run hard.

Absolutely. Diesels are a lot different than gas engines. Baby a gas engine and it will normally last longer. Baby a diesel and it will probably suffer. Back to the killing it with kindness. Run those baby's at the rated rpm under load and they love it. I was a bit hesitant to say run them hard earlier because that sometimes seems wonky to a lot of people and there are always those exception to the rule stories. Just like my neighbor across the street with over 250,00 miles on his 1972 purring like kitten Chevy Vega. It can happen
Old 21-08-2019, 14:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Absolutely. Diesels are a lot different than gas engines. Baby a gas engine and it will normally last longer. Baby a diesel and it will probably suffer. Back to the killing it with kindness. Run those baby's at the rated rpm under load and they love it. I was a bit hesitant to say run them hard earlier because that sometimes seems wonky to a lot of people and there are always those exception to the rule stories. Just like my neighbor across the street with over 250,00 miles on his 1972 purring like kitten Chevy Vega. It can happen
bet he has an iron duke under that hood not the usual aluminum block .
Old 21-08-2019, 14:27   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
bet he has an iron duke under that hood not the usual aluminum block .

Yeah I bet. He's a lot of fun though. We always give him a hard time for the fun of it. He's a good sport. Once we pulled an old trick on him my Dad taught me. He was telling us what wonderful gas mileage he was getting out of it. We would sneak over a few nights a week and add 2-3 gallons of gas to his tank. We did this for a few weeks and he kept bragging how his old Vega would get better gas mileage than the newer cars. Then for the next few weeks we went over and siphoned off a few gallons. He just couldn't figure out what the problem was.
Old 21-08-2019, 18:05   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If the guy just turned off the engine and walked away--maybe that is what one should do--but if one can get the vessel VERY cheaply--then it cbecomes a proposition to haul it out--re-engine, re-prop, remove any osmosis, replace any keel bolts, replace water and bilge pumps etc etc etc--in short--spend about twenty grand or more on it to get a vessel that would be worth more than that in shiny as-new condition.

Engine, paint job, vinylester or epoxy-repairs to any osmosis, replace rigging and anchor chain, possibly anchor too--the list goes on.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 18:10   #22

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Scorpius sat for over ten years at one point - although I knew it was coming and had poured Slick 50 into each cylinder. I went to the local Isuzu dealership (Klassen Diesel - wonderful people!) and asked them what to do. They said change the oil and all the filters and start it. I did that plus serviced the injectors. She started right up and has been running beautifully ever since - and that was fifteen years ago. Now have 5500 hours on her. That engine was bought as a re-build and installed in Scorpius in 1988. Dry exhaust and keel coolers help. No saltwater intake, pump, heat exchanger, etc.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 05:37   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

"started having major engine problems, culminating in some inner seals finally blowing and saltwater getting into the cylinders. "

Torque all head bolts to spec, every engine needs this done in accord w manf schedule.

Since the engine had low hours, but was old and unused, it should have been fully serviced.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine