Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 06:28   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Engine intake foam filter burns quite easily

Should i be worried that foam material I bought on amazon
burns quite easily. Type I got is Uni Filter BF-2 foam intended for fabricating engine air filters.
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-BF.../dp/B000ONZT5Y

It was when i was sewing it into round form to fit my intake and burning thread ends that i noticed is sustains flames quite easily.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:34   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Engine intake foam filter burns quite easily

The mesh metal flame arrestor is used as an air filter on my gasoline engines.

A flammable foam filter would not be appropriate in my application.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 07:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Flame spread index rated material ?

https://www.foambymail.com/blog/unde...-e84-standard/
Old 20-06-2019, 07:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On a Diesel it shouldn't be an issue, but just replace it with a K&N and be done with it, they are acceptable as a flame arrestor for gasoline engines.
But I bet as its oil soaked gauge it will burn too?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 08:54   #5

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Where was it made, and does it list any flame resistant properties?

If possible I would not use it IF there are alternatives that are more flame resistant.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 09:58   #6

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Speak to the wise guys at K&N and get a washable reusable air filter for your engine. I did this for my Volvo Penta D2-40 and while I can't say if the performance has improved the fact I'm not forking out £50 a pop for a replacement element sealed in a plastic body is worth the investment.

They will need the capacity and swept volume of your engine to determine which filter is best but that should be available in your engine manual.

Simples
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 11:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On a Diesel it shouldn't be an issue, but just replace it with a K&N and be done with it, they are acceptable as a flame arrestor for gasoline engines.
But I bet as its oil soaked gauge it will burn too?
Both gas and diesel can backfire through the intake. It's good to know that the k&N can handle that situation.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 13:27   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don't be too sure about K&N. Their ads (at least used to) say guaranteed horsepower gain. Well, in another car forum that was being debated (turned out OEM was actually better than all aftermarket for a stock engine) and I asked someone at K&N about what the gain was for these particular cars. They said they didn't know, couldn't promise it, wouldn't supply one for dyno testing. (In other words, they weren't interested in even finding out.)

They're a little short on numbers, when it comes to particulate size trapped versus flow rates and other real criteria.

MOST foams today are basically napalm, once lit up they keep on burning. I don't know about the older latex foam but almost everything on the market today is a polyurethane variant and while some have flame inhibitors added to them, that's a whole other question.

The metal mesh on gasoline engine air filters is a *spark* and flame arrestor, designed to quench a brief fire flashover by the metal stealing the heat from it. It won't really stop a good burn from going through. I kinda doubt the usual oiled K&N element would either.

The Amazon description says this foam is for ATVs, which are generally unregulated. And it is made of polyurethane, which makes great fire starter. Of course if your engine ingests it, that will just let it burn smoother.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:15   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

K&N have been around for an awfully long time, is there a fire risk problem with their filters? I would have thought anything would have come to light now. Why did I fit mine? well the K&N from the universal range cost me £30. Volvo wanted £130, although they can be cleaned apparently.

First take a bucket of diesel and then flush the filter through for a while. Allow to dry for some time, dispose of the contaminated diesel responsibly and fit the manky filter back on again hoping for the best. Or spend £30.

Doubtful there is any performance to be gained on the average yacht engine. Would you notice a 5% gain on a 28hp engine that is 30 years old? probably best to fit and just allowed to do its job, stopping FOD entering the air intake.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	194342  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:20   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Rather than trying to fab your own, just buy a K&N and be done w it. Ive been running them for years. Never had one burst into flames. Clean, reuse, no problems. Lasts for years.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 15:25   #11

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

don't have room in my round canister for anything other than rolling a stripe of foam around the metal cage.... It's a Universal M 18 diesel engine. I unearthed some packaging foam which looked porous enough and that's it for now.
Any info about a better solution?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190612_073310.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	194348  
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 15:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Take the pan off and see if it has a stub of intake tube the K&N will just slide on to.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 17:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

My 35 year old Perkins is in great shape with very good compression, it only came with a coarse screen. These engines are not run in a dry dusty environment that needs more filtering
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 18:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Engine intake foam filter burns quite easily

I have a long history with K&N from working with them for am ENCU filter for the A model Apache (encu is environmental control unit or air conditioner) to the engine inlet filter for the Thrush crop duster.
Attached picture is of my Daughter in front of the filter used for the turbine engine Thrush crop duster, I was putting together a class on how to clean them. These aren’t cheap as you can imagine, but will last a long time if properly cleaned, but once improperly will destroy it.
Anyway , only use soap, best to use the K&N soap, then let it dry completely out of the sun, it’s cotton gauge and sunlight will apparently shrink cotton.
Then only use K&N oil, the oil is the “magic” it’s what traps the dirt, it’s sticky, the gauge only holds the oil, do not use pressurized water to clean or high pressure air, you will blow out the gauge.
Look for an even red color, you really can’t over oil the excess will just drain away making a mess, but it won’t hurt anything.

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	194351
Picture of an over oiled one

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	194352
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 18:11   #15

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
My 35 year old Perkins is in great shape with very good compression, it only came with a coarse screen. These engines are not run in a dry dusty environment that needs more filtering
boat engines are never exposed to heavy dusty environment as is a Caterpillar grader or demo excavator(!)
Why then obsess on super fine and $$ filtration issues?
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine