Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-04-2016, 07:55   #16

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Engine doesn't stay primed

Then, the check valve that has failed should be in the return port of the injector pump. I will have to wait for a few days before going back to the boat.

I have the workshop manual for the engine. There isn't much information about how to service the injector pump but it's clear it must be done with the engine out of the boat, for the timing position mark is on the flywheel, at the back of the engine, i.e. hidden in the gearbox...

Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:20   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
The check valves should be in the supply and return ports of the injector pump. They may look like adaptors. The screen should be in the seat of the supply port below the check valve. You should never have to dismount the injector pump to service these parts.

Never dismount this pump without putting the engine in the timing position first.
You will be right about some engines but e.g. on small VP engines the valve is in the pump body. Most all small VP engines have one pump which may be something built by Johnson or Perkins or whoever built the engine actually.

I have a big perkins too but not at hand, I can't check how they solved it there.

So, in some cases, the valve is in the pump body ;-(

As for timing on small engines - you can turn the engine by hand even if it stopped in the 'wrong' position. On bigger engines - you can check how the 'lever' (it is an oval gear) is positioned by manually priming first - it is safe to take the pump off if you can easily manually prime the pump. (This implies the gear in the engine is at its lower position).

A word of caution is if any of the lines is a hard (metal) line then be very cautious when connecting to the pump after repair - I did see a hard fuel line connector cross threaded into a soft alloy body of the pump by a zealous ignorant mechanic - ended up in a dangerous leak and a new pump needed ;-( So, re-connect carefully and without forcing anything.

In our boat the out line is rubber too, now (modified some time back).

barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38   #18

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Generally the timing position is with the #1 cylinder piston in the top dead centre position on the compression stroke. i.e. piston at top with both valves closed. However, I do believe that the pump can be removed and reinstalled in any timing position as long as neither the engine nor the pump are rotated while the pump is removed. Just not good practice so I advise against it.

Always also a good idea to scribe a spot on the pump and engine case to ensure proper alignment when reinstalling the pump if in fact it has to come out.

Good luck let us know how you make out as I would be curious to hear.

undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: