Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 14:43   #1

Engine Cooling Overflow Problem

Have recently made one of my hot water cylinders heated by fw circuit from engine. its aprox 1mtr above engine height so to keep circuit full of water installed a valve that lets out the air but not water installed as high as possible in circuit. Now have problem with engine losing coolant. Radiator cap and overflow bottle at top of engine height and have to top up engine when idling so as to push water up to hw cylinder. Should I have installed a small tank with radiator cap at highest point at hw cylinder with expansion bottle and closed of existing radiator cap on motor with blank cap? May be I have leak in circuit thru hw cylinder if so how do I test it?
Catbird Suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: engine cooling overflow problem

The coolant filler cap must be at the highest point as you cannot pour water uphill to fill the system. Your engine is likely to airlock and then overheat with the current layout.

Here is a link to a good layout but your particular engine may need different rated pressure caps.http://www.betamarinenc.com/wp-conte...-DRAWING-2.pdf
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:53   #3

Re: engine cooling overflow problem

Thanks for that. Yes I think I haven't got it quiet right. I see from drawing that header tank is in return circuit and not just tee into circuit. Will look for suitable header tank.
Regards Andy
Catbird Suite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, engine