Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 19:55   #1

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.
Engine Breather mod .

I have a Perkins Prima M50 and would like to pipe the breather into the air cleaner duct on the vacuum side . The original set-up was basically a mesh hood that had a standpipe on it that the breather hose was plumbed to .

My concern is that with the new air cleaner creating a slight vacuum , not that the original hood wouldn't have done the same , would it draw excessive vapor from the engine ?
ALLAN WARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 21:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Engine Breather mod .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WARD View Post
I have a Perkins Prima M50 and would like to pipe the breather into the air cleaner duct on the vacuum side . The original set-up was basically a mesh hood that had a standpipe on it that the breather hose was plumbed to .

My concern is that with the new air cleaner creating a slight vacuum , not that the original hood wouldn't have done the same , would it draw excessive vapor from the engine ?

No that's how it's done. Well that or a connection to the intake manifold. Yanmar on the GM engines put a restrictor orifice at the manifold connection of about 1/16" inch ish.

Either way it will work fine.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 21:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

It won't create excessive vacuum in the crankcase. Actually in racing engines a vacuum is created so the crank and pistons don't have to push air. So you may gain a slight mileage increase.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 00:38   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

A vacuum on the crank case might also help stop oil leaks and since the oil lube system is all contained within the vacuum it should not cause any problems with lube pump suction starvation.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:50   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WARD View Post

Cheers/ Len
Old 08-05-2016, 11:49   #6

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Picture for a moment a situation where the fuel system fails somehow and the oil level rises with the mixed liquids. Been sitting a while as the injector return line dribbles (Some fords for example) or the diaphragm fails (most engine driven transfer pumps .Oil now gets up to the breather and away goes the rpm. Only way out is to shut off the air (GMC 2 strokes for example ) or put a conrod thru the hull
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine