Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-05-2013, 21:47   #16
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Engine at all oil and over revved like mad!!

My Perkins 107 manual says ues 30wt. My oil seems to get thicker as time goes on, not thinner.

Old 26-05-2013, 23:59   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
ok, you guys are scaring the crap out of me now.

i have a 34 year old perkins 4-108. i've owned it for ten years now. i've always used rotella t 15w40, changed it and the filter every 100 hours.

a few days ago i changed the oil and filter. instead of 15w40 i bought rotella t 30 - straight 30 weight. on the container it said that is was suited for older diesels, which probably convinced me to buy it. i ran up the engine and it seemed to run just fine, although i think i heard a single valve 'clacking' that i hadn't heard before. the oil pressure was about the same as before - 60 pounds.

so advise me. should i just drain it out and replace it with 15w40? those are the only two weights of oil that i've seen available.
RTFM. The 4108 engine will run quieter and leak less oil with straight 30 weight.

Old 27-05-2013, 01:47   #18

If you heard some metal clanking that could indicate a bad seal therefore causing crankcase pressure which would force and oil mist into the intake increasing rpms. The more rpms, the more fuel is supplied making the engine runaway further. The more rpms would cause the engine to burn more oil as well. Thicker weight oil could have been a bandaid for a deeper problem. Thicker weight oil may solve your problems for the time being.
Old 27-05-2013, 02:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Very good point - check that out. I think you sucked most of the oil into the engine through the intake. See if you have oil residue there.

Also, make sure your valve cover vent / breather tube is clear.

I don't know of a general 35 weight oil. If it was 30 weight, that is too thin for your engine unless you are in really cold temps - but probably still too thin even there.

I don't understand Atoll's point about becoming viscous and vaporizing - those are two opposite physical property directions.

Mark
yeah i meant less viscous! ie diesel entering the crankcase thinning the engine oil.

first thing i would check is the lift pump is not leaking,
the second is the govenor,that might have thrown a weight.
thirdly the injector pump that might have broken a spring and gone to max fuel delivery.

it is probably a good idea to remove the injectors and turn the engine over so you can check for abnormal rattels once you have confirmed it is not the lift pump or govenor that caused the overrun,though in a lot of cases the overun can destroy an engine,or damage the govenor etc,making diagnosis difficult as to what caused the initial problem.
Old 27-05-2013, 04:09   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Cheap oil is often the right oil for boat engines. You should be careful to strictly follow the manufacturer's specifications. "Better" oil, especially synthetics, can be deadly to a boat diesel. See: Oil for yacht engines

Synthetic motor oil, by the way, is not at all just "cleaned up mineral oil". See: Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27-05-2013, 04:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cheap oil is often the right oil for boat engines. You should be careful to strictly follow the manufacturer's specifications. "Better" oil, especially synthetics, can be deadly to a boat diesel. See: Oil for yacht engines

Synthetic motor oil, by the way, is not at all just "cleaned up mineral oil". See: Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the oil i was refering to is the type you find in supermarkets,normally half the price of a quality brand,and is generally recycled old engine oil that has been filtered
Old 27-05-2013, 04:56   #22

Boat: Gib sea 43

the oil was cheap yes, 15-40, mineral oil, not synthetic. also it consumed virtually all the engine oil in under 3 minutes, could this be done through the breather?

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 05:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
the oil was cheap yes, 15-40, mineral oil, not synthetic. also it consumed virtually all the engine oil in under 3 minutes, could this be done through the breather?
through the breather if it is connected to the air filter housing is the most likely cause
Old 27-05-2013, 05:06   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
ok, you guys are scaring the crap out of me now.

i have a 34 year old perkins 4-108. i've owned it for ten years now. i've always used rotella t 15w40, changed it and the filter every 100 hours.

a few days ago i changed the oil and filter. instead of 15w40 i bought rotella t 30 - straight 30 weight. on the container it said that is was suited for older diesels, which probably convinced me to buy it. i ran up the engine and it seemed to run just fine, although i think i heard a single valve 'clacking' that i hadn't heard before. the oil pressure was about the same as before - 60 pounds.

so advise me. should i just drain it out and replace it with 15w40? those are the only two weights of oil that i've seen available.

Rotella T is just the thing for many older marine diesels. It's meant to replace CC, CD, and CE and is top quality oil. My last boat had a Westerbeke 4-108 (awesome, bulletproof engine, by the way) and I seem to remember that the manual specified straight 30W. I think you should be just fine with that .
Old 27-05-2013, 05:15   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Rotella T is just the thing for many older marine diesels. It's meant to replace CC, CD, and CE and is top quality oil. My last boat had a Westerbeke 4-108 (awesome, bulletproof engine, by the way) and I seem to remember that the manual specified straight 30W. I think you should be just fine with that .
yeah should be fine.
the stuff i have been refering to is recycled oil,of very poor quality,that breaks down after 150 hours or so
Old 27-05-2013, 06:16   #26

I have removed the air filter housing and inspected the breather, not much in the way of oil there, very little traces of oil

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 27-05-2013, 06:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
I have removed the air filter housing and inspected the breather, not much in the way of oil there, very little traces of oil
have a smell of the dip stick if diesel leaked into the crank there may still be traces.

an engine running at over rev is going to vaporise the oil as it comes out the breather,and probably not leave that much residue.
Old 27-05-2013, 06:32   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
have a smell of the dip stick if diesel leaked into the crank there may still be traces.

an engine running at over rev is going to vaporise the oil as it comes out the breather,and probably not leave that much residue.
I believe your engine is the same basic engine as mine (4JH3HTE in my case). The lift pump is a roller cell job which is built into the injection pump, so pretty hard for diesel fuel to get into the oil that way as far as I can tell.

I am watching this thread with bated breath -- can't imagine how the oil all got into the intake tract. Seems utterly bizarre to me.
Old 27-05-2013, 06:36   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
through the breather if it is connected to the air filter housing is the most likely cause
How could all the oil in the sump rise up through the block and head and end up going through the breather? I'm not questioning your theory, I'm just really curious -- I can't at all imagine it.

These engines don't have air filters -- they have a rough circular screen. The breather attaches to the flange of the screen by a rubber hose from the valve cover.
Old 27-05-2013, 07:30   #30

well im off to look for a co2 fire extinguisher and some really thick oil, will try and restart and at least i can kill the engine if it goes mad!

Tags
engine, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: