Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 06:13   #1

Boat: Southcoast 36
Engine at 5000 Hours

Our Yanmar 3HM 30HP engine has just clocked up 5000 hours on the hour meter. Less than a quarter of that is ours so not really sure how accurate that measure is. I have been keeping up to date with oil and filter changes but don't know about the past. Its raw water cooled and did all the anodes about 6 months ago.

However, at this 5000 milestone, are there any more major items of preventative maintenance I should be considering?

Generally runs well i think but i have nothing to compare that to.

Some blue smoke happens at maximum revs. No oil leaks that I can see. Have to add maybe half a litre of oil as it gets closer to 100 hours after a change. Have noticed some slight missing at lower revs after running at operational revs for some time.

Looks a bit daggy with surface rust and will do a clean up when next on the hard. Am considering taking it out so that I can access keel fuel tank and would give it a real external cleanup and paint job if that happens. Prefer to do the work myself but have no real experience on more major items.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Engine at 5000 Hours

You are probably due for fuel injection service, pump and injectors and lift pump. Valve adjustment if they are solid lifters. New thermostat because they fail and all new hoses. And some spray paint
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine