I did it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Day One: Friday Yotboss met me at the boat at 1300 hrs. We managed to loosen all of the motor
mounts. Then I began to take off the coupling and found out the bolts on the tranny side had been ground down. Why would someone do that I thought to myself. Hell of a time getting them off. The bolts had been ground such that there were only two parallel sides on the bolts and some of the sides weren't all there. I jammed a screwdriver between the trans and the wrench and managed to get 3 of them off. The fourth one needed a grinder. Turns out that a teleflex cable had gotten wrapped around the coupling and it had ground the nuts to a bad way. Pictures to follow. Then a beer
to celebrate our victory. Day Two: Saturday Morning broke out the new motor
mounts and there were 4 of the same ones. It was supposed to be 2 /410 lbs and 2 / 230 lbs. I had 4 / 410. Shop closed. couldn't get any of the 230lb ers. Decided to use all 410's. Didn't start working till about 1400 hrs Lifted the front of the engine
and installed the new mounts. Took the height from the old mounts and replaced them one at a time as Yotboss suggested. Back was a bit trickier to lift
but we got the aft ones in place. Day 3: Sunday I was not able to get the flanges to touch. Finally realized that the thickness of the drive saver had set the location of the zincs. In other words I had to dive the boat and take one of the two zincs off in order to get the flanges to touch. Dove the bottom in 55^ weather
. Burr Cold. Took off the wrong one. Ok dive again. Now the flanges are about 1/4" apart. Close enough to make the measurements. I found a bunch of rust on one of the engine
arms. I had to detach it from the engine clean the rust off and then paint
Sunday to watching the paint
dry. Sunday night I spent 2 hours crawling in and out of the lazaret to adjust the engine position. Got it to .0009". Had to work on Monday but set up to have a professional come help on Wed. Day 4: Pro showed up on time. We had it done in about 1.5 hours. Then a test motor and he spent some time teaching me how to remove the injection pump. All in all a successful project
and I won't have to hire it out next time. On my boat two people make it a lot easier.
Lessons learned : 1) bent the teleflex cable and had to install a new one --remove and get it out of the way, 2) remove the right zinc next time, 3) should have removed the water muffler
right away -- It was in the way for a good part of the job. 4) Check the parts
that are sent before you start removing the old parts.