Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22   #1

Engine Access on Shannon 28... Nil

We just brought our new ('83) Shannon 28 home to Solomons from Annapolis last Saturday. It's a very sweet and salty boat with a 2004 Yanmar 2GM20F engine.

Since then, I've been poking around in the engine 'room' getting to know where everything is. I had a Yanmar 2GM20 in my 1980 Southern Cross 31, so I am already familiar with doing maintenance on the engine.

But, after seeing the difference in size of the engine compartment, coupled with the configuration of this 2GM20, I can see that servicing the engine is going to take some pretty unbelievable contortions. The space is extremely cramped.

To name just a few of the challenges that I have noted so far... (1) water pump">raw water pump impeller in not easily accessible and may require removing the pulley to get to the back side. Otherwise, I don't see how I'm going to get a screwdriver in there to remove the cover, much less get the impeller out ; (2) lube oil dipstick port is not visible and can be reached only by feel. Took me 20 minutes with a mirror first time I checked the oil; (3) no space on top of the oil supply port... may have to pour oil in sideways from a tube arrangement. And those are just what I've noticed so far.

Maybe I've been spoiled with engine access on other previous boats... Westerbeke in Tartan 3500 and Volvo in Beneteau 36.7. But it sure looks like this one's going to be an enormous pain in the butt/challenge.

Anyone else out there with a Shannon 28 who can assure me that it's not that bad?

Thanks.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13   #2
KTM

Re: Engine Access on Shannon 28... Nil

I am interested in contacting other Shannon 28 owners. Shannon does not support a users group so it is up to us. If we can compile a list of owners we can email each other with questions. I have a 1980 Shannon 28.

Ken
KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30   #3

Consider replacing the Water pump cover screws with allen head screws... easier to work in the blind. Or at least buy a set and have them with your impellor for when the day comes!
Is it possible to put one of those plastic deck hatches in the 1/4 berth wall etc for more engine access?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

I've got a 3gm30f in a 27'. Pretty much the same deal on mine. I bet you'll get a good feel for the dip stick after a few months, and having to remove the whole pump assembly to change the impeller once a year doesn't seem like too much of a hassle in the scheme of things. That oil deal sounds a bit suspect though.

Also got added inspection ports through the side walls of the engine room as cheechako suggested.

A lovely boat, the Shannon28!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine