Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 09:50   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Eng. Alarm Switches

Perkins 4-154. It has the typical gauges, however no alarms hooked up. I'm looking for a temp sender switch for an overheat alarm and a low oil pressure switch., not for the gauges but just for the audible alarm buzzer. Anyone have a good source?
tnx
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Eng. Alarm Switches

Do you have a good store in your area that specializes in marine engines and I do not mean a West Marine....which can be good for other things.

The Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland, CA specializes in what you need and they can ship to your location. They do more than outboards.

They have been my nuts and bolts place for marine engines for many years. The guys behind the counter in parts who also pick up the phones are very knowledgeable. They have been there for many years.

I don't know of any stores like this of this quality that are closer to you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Many alarms are fed by separate sensors. All in one sensors sometimes require the makers proprietary gauges, too. Probably every marine store has some overpriced alarm kit.
If you don't want to spend that much, my mains have separate oil and temp senders for my alarm. I use a radiator fan controller to set the alarm temperature (adj. 50°-250°F). I have my temp set to 10° above normal so I have some time before the engine has to stop. An oil pressure switch can be had at any parts store. Ebay is a good place to look.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 10:45   #4

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
Perkins 4-154. It has the typical gauges, however no alarms hooked up. I'm looking for a temp sender switch for an overheat alarm and a low oil pressure switch., not for the gauges but just for the audible alarm buzzer. Anyone have a good source?
tnx

We have been using these alarms for decades and very happy with them. They will do custom panels at a reasonable price.

https://www.aqualarm.net

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 24-08-2017, 11:28   #5

Boat: Allied 39

We have also been using these sonalert alarms for years.

http://www.mallory-sonalert.com
Old 24-08-2017, 11:55   #6

As mentioned, you can get the low oil pressure and high temp alarm switches at NAPA, Auto Zone, or other auto stores, and Sierra makes them and they are available in most marine stores. The switches are normally electrically open in the non-alarm condition and close when there is a fault.

Oil pressure usually faults at about 10 psi, and temp at about 205 degrees, give or take a little.

If you want to make a little alarm panel, or add to the existing panel, you can go to Radio Shack and for $10 or $12 buy two 12v mountable lamps, an audible 12v. buzzer and two diodes and wire one up yourself. Here's a wiring diagram:

DougR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alarrm Panel.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	154753  
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 20:16   #7

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I bought my sensors and Amazon. They were seven or eight dollars each. I didn't care about a panel or a light all I wanted was a real large loud buzzer so I bought that separately.

For about $25 I now have a low oil pressure on buzzer and an exhaust manifold overheat buzzer.

I really like the set up because the low oil pressure buzzer sounds each time I turn on the key until the engine starts. It is nice to know it works.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:46   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

Thank you all, that aqualarm is a great website, just what I'm looking for, my OCD loves the all in one panel. I went to an auto parts store not a NAPA, my bad and asked the cleak for the switches, the clerk just stared at me with a deer into head light look. I said never-mind, lol great info.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm