Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2007, 16:18   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Question Endeavour 40 Fuel Tank Size

I'll be posting this to the Endeavour Owners forum but it's not too active so I'm covering all bets.

I am replacing the bladder tank currently installed by the PO in my 1981 40' Endeavour. The original tank was destroyed to get it out so I don't have dimensions for the tank. I have approximate dimensions of the original but would like to get a more accurate set of dimensions. To get to the area where the tank will go requires some major surgery to the sole, engine compartment and removal of the battery box and A/C.

Does anyone have a source for the tank dimensions. I have a quote from Florida Marine Tank (the original builder of the tank for the Endeavour) for an aluminun tank and it is a resonable $ figure. Before I commit to the quote I would like to fell better about the dimensions. I am calling FMT tomorrom and try to find someone there that can assure me that the tank they quoted is the correct size.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Engcon
S/V Setting Sun
Old 15-05-2007, 07:38   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
This may not be exactly what you need but could help. When I was researching purchase of an E40 a few years ago I got these tank replacement / repair photos from a member on the Endeavour Owners Forum. Unfortunately it's not real active lately as you've found.

Anyway, to best approximate the tank size this picture at least shows you the void space after the tank has been removed. If you can measure the depth of your keel pocket that will give you a ballpark figure at least. I remember learning that the original tank plans etc were held by FMT as you've discovered.. several owners had purchased replacements from them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I've long ago lost the email address of the gent who sent me these photos...

Old 15-05-2007, 08:20   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by engcon

Before I commit to the quote I would like to fell better about the dimensions. I am calling FMT tomorrom and try to find someone there that can assure me that the tank they quoted is the correct size.

S/V Setting Sun
Yo Sun,

it sounds like you're in good hands with the original tank manufacturer. If you'd like a higher degree of confidence before ordering, using the tank-maker's dimensions, build a tank mockup out of foam board or cardboard. Then you can try it in place.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 10:15   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Thumbs up Endeavour 40 Fuel Tank Size

Thanks for the pictures and other input guys (markpj23 & Terra Nova).

I'll keep you posted on progress. Talked to FMT today and they need the tank label to pull the old drawings so I am out of luck there. Will keep digging.
Old 16-05-2007, 18:45   #5

Boat: Endeavour 42
I have an E-40 also. Seems like I was able to access the tank enough to measure it at one time. Unfortunately I didn't record the results. You may have to pull out the shower sump though in order to get the height of the tank.

Tags
endeavour, fuel, fuel tank