Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 12:16   #46

Re: Electrical Conversion

Have a look at this guy, straight forward and good advice along with some neat ideas.

http://www.electricauxiliary.com/
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 21:12   #47

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-27

Hey there everyone and thanks a lot for your input!

I don't take any offense to someone's opinion about my boat. It really isn't worth much without a working motor. I agree.

Now about life plans... while no one really knows, I do have a great job with a great future lined up locally. I really have little desire to sell anything I buy, so I'm not worried about resale value. Maybe that's called hoarding :P

I got a great job at the Port of SF and those paychecks will always cash.

Overall, I think I need to really think about how often I will use an auxiliary motor. For $250 +extras it may not even be a bad thing to just get my feet wet.

I am currently re-writing the boat and then will redo plumbing. For parts and everything except my time, it has come out to about $800. That's for wire, new lights, connections, labels, etc, pumps, etc.

I bought the boat at a steal. I'm not afraid to put money into it. It's my home and I will have it until it sinks.

I have access to a lot of knowledge and goid people during my Sea scout days. That will be valuable when it comes time to procure anything else.

I have thought about using an electric motor and just seeing if it'll work for me. If not, I can strap on a small outboard and use them together.

Thanks again for all the input. Nimble, I will PM you and we can figure something out!

I value all your opinions and I hope to see you guys on the water! Maybe at the next Giants game....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SailerMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 07:13   #48

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailerMatt View Post
Hey there everyone and thanks a lot for your input!

I don't take any offense to someone's opinion about my boat. It really isn't worth much without a working motor. I agree.

Now about life plans... while no one really knows, I do have a great job with a great future lined up locally. I really have little desire to sell anything I buy, so I'm not worried about resale value. Maybe that's called hoarding :P

I got a great job at the Port of SF and those paychecks will always cash.

Overall, I think I need to really think about how often I will use an auxiliary motor. For $250 +extras it may not even be a bad thing to just get my feet wet.

I am currently re-writing the boat and then will redo plumbing. For parts and everything except my time, it has come out to about $800. That's for wire, new lights, connections, labels, etc, pumps, etc.

I bought the boat at a steal. I'm not afraid to put money into it. It's my home and I will have it until it sinks.

I have access to a lot of knowledge and goid people during my Sea scout days. That will be valuable when it comes time to procure anything else.

I have thought about using an electric motor and just seeing if it'll work for me. If not, I can strap on a small outboard and use them together.

Thanks again for all the input. Nimble, I will PM you and we can figure something out!

I value all your opinions and I hope to see you guys on the water! Maybe at the next Giants game....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Hope to see you on the water in the bay! Also, a friend of mine has a 2-27 as well, and he is well versed in working on them. Perhaps we can all raft up one weekend, enjoy some steaks, and see what all needs to be done.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 14:14   #49

Boat: Morgan 33 Out Island

Hay Matt
Hows you project going been watching for up dates I went throw a conversion 2 yeas ago and have not looked back. Everyone that said it was not a good idea are pretty shocked when they go out on the boat needless to say they look at it differently now no noise vibration smell and very little maintenance There are quite a few EP conversions in our area that I kind a follow on the net. Would be kind a cool to see them get together. There is a lot of work building a liveaboard out of a old boat but its a lot of fun and before you know it you can take some real pride in letting others know you done it your self which from my 12 years living aboard is way more than happens with 95% of the boats in the bay
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 17:09   #50

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I more or less completed my repower, but still tweaking and improving. The whole story is in the thread below.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-129944.html

Tags
cal, electric, electrical