Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: electric priming /back up fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
I've been drawing up a plan for reworking my Yanmar diesel fuel system too.
An electric feed boost and polishing pump is part of it.
AutoZone (and probably most other auto parts places) carries two models of that "Mr. Gasket" pump (among others).

Mr. Gasket/Electric fuel pump (12S) | Fuel Pump | AutoZone.com

Mr. Gasket/Electric fuel pump (42S) | Fuel Pump | AutoZone.com
Read the reviews on Amazon for these.... They suck ... Or stop sucking as the case may be... I had the same exact experience with one... works one minute... and then nada.......

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08   #17

Re: Electric Priming /Back up Fuel Pump

I'm thinking mine came from NAPA. I have no complaints.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
One word... Walbro

Not sure I want "cheap" in a pressurized fuel system and all the cheap ones seem to fail.

I've had great service from both Stewart Warner and Walbro lift pumps. I prefer to wire them to an oil pressure switch with a manual override switch for priming and filter filling.
Scott Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:22   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

I have got a a similar looking pump on my fuel polishing system. It was a spare pump with the boat. It does not seem to have a brand on it, but its been pumping on my fuel polishing system for an average of 10 hours a day 300 days a year, for the last 5 years.

I think its on its last legs, as it now takes a few seconds to start when switched on, but its pumped a lot of fuel in its lifetime.

PS great re-build story on the other thread.
Old 06-08-2013, 13:12   #20

Boat: Norsea 27

I too have a Walbro that I installed for a Dickinson diesel heater with a couple of three way valves so I can alternately us it as a priming pump for my 2GM20. It's so much better than using the almost useless manual lever on the Yanmar. The switch is located on the heater of course.

Barry
Old 06-08-2013, 14:43   #21

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Would there be any issues in running the electric pump and the mechanical pump at the same time?
Would the the extra fuel pressure.reaching the engine cause any problems or would the excess fuel just bleed thru the fuel return circuit ?

I am thinking my engine rpm peak is restricted by available fuel going thru the filtration systems, so adding a electric pump may assist, but I don't want to cause issues with the engine. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2013, 23:15   #22

Boat: Norsea 27

The pressure to the injector pump doesn't matter, it meters and puts out as it needs as long as the delivery is sufficient. The electric pump is pressure controlled. The flow through the mechanical diaphragm pump should be fine as the one way valves would open to allow the fuel to pass. Mine's been working fine for maybe fifteen years and though I've not had to use it often, it's a blessing not having to lay across the drive train to get at the pump and needing someone else to crack the filter, the fitting into the injector pump and at the injectors. You need a fine touch on the filter not to strip it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
What is your reason for wiring it that way, to run all the time?
It's doesn't run all the time, only when the ignition key is in the "on" position. That's the way my diesel mechanic said it should be wired. He's steered me right on everything else. And, it certainly has worked well for me.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:06   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just used one from NAPA and it worked fine. (85 HP Nanni) However, Walbro are the "bees knees" when it comes to fuel pumps. I plumbed mine in with 3way valves so fuel wasnt drawn through the pump all the time.... the pump orifice seemed awful small to me, that and worry about dirty fuel clogging it. I guess it's OK to pull fuel thru one all the time... I wasnt sure if it was or not so did the valves..... I used the squeeze bulb on a couple of boats and it seemed fine, but one did get rather soft after time... I just installed a switch right next to the pump, below the floor boards.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:52   #25

Boat: 1969 Hinckley Model 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Mine is wired so that when the ignition key is "on", the pump is on.

It makes it so easy to bleed the system after changing fuel filters.

All I do is cut on the ignition, wait a couple of minutes, and the system is bled and ready to go. Much easier than the way I had to do it with our farm tractors, and unscrewing each injector one at a time while pumping a tiny hand pump by the fuel bowl.
This was questioned and answered below in this thread but I think my pump is running all the time because I have an ignition switch and a start switch. The ignition switch is what starts the pump so I assume it is always running. Not aboard right now or I would check.

Now that I think about it it doesn't seem right running all the time. Any recommendations?

Thanks

IP Man
Old 09-11-2014, 14:09   #26

Boat: csy 37

I think the answer is yes, its always running, unless its in the starter relay circuit, which would be highly unusual. If you have a working engine driven fuel pump in the fuel line than you probably dont need the electric pump to run all the time. Thats how mine is setup.
My electric pump is only used for bleeding. I have it on a seperate power switch so I can turn it on and off when I need it.
Old 09-11-2014, 14:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I think the answer is yes, its always running, unless its in the starter relay circuit, which would be highly unusual. If you have a working engine driven fuel pump in the fuel line than you probably dont need the electric pump to run all the time. Thats how mine is setup.
My electric pump is only used for bleeding. I have it on a seperate power switch so I can turn it on and off when I need it.
Thanks onestepcsy37!

It's a 40 hp Westerbeke, I assume it has a engine driven fuel pump so should I have a third switch to ignite (bad choice of words I know ) the stand alone fuel pump only while starting?

Thanks

IP Man
Old 09-11-2014, 15:22   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The separate priming pump for my Yanmar 4JH3 BE had an ON/OFF switch located inside the door of the engine compartment. After changing the fuel filters, I'd run it for a few seconds until the sound changed, indicating that the air had been forced out, and then crank the engine, turning it off as soon as the engine caught. You wouldn't want it to run constantly, so a separate switch is the thing to do.
Old 09-11-2014, 15:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The separate priming pump for my Yanmar 4JH3 BE had an ON/OFF switch located inside the door of the engine compartment. After changing the fuel filters, I'd run it for a few seconds until the sound changed, indicating that the air had been forced out, and then crank the engine, turning it off as soon as the engine caught. You wouldn't want it to run constantly, so a separate switch is the thing to do.
Thanks Hud3

I would tend to agree with that!

This is not the only thing I have discovered recently that was installed incorrectly on the boat......

The most recent find was an "exciter" wire to my add on alternator cruise controller regulator that was run directly to the house bank instead of the starter circuit according to my guy currently working on the boat in the yard.

I found out it was a problem while looking for my galvanic corrosion problem. I touched the regulator attached the the outside of the alternator and it was hot to the touch It was puling a couple of amps and along with the fridge on I could not bring the house bank up from an accidental run down.

Oh that's another thing I discovered inverter is drawing from and charging two starter batteries instead of working off the house bank of three

I recently thought I was getting my head around what it actually takes to keep an old boat like this working but clearly I had no idea, luckily I like working on stuff and have some time I can dedicate to her.

It's that yard stuff that gets expensive.

Thanks

IP Man
Old 09-11-2014, 22:29   #30

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP Man View Post
I assume it has a engine driven fuel pump so should I have a third switch to ignite (bad choice of words I know ) the stand alone fuel pump only while starting?
Most likely it has an engine driven mechanical fuel pump. There is a possibility that the the mechanical pump was removed and an electric pump installed to replace it. Better check it by following the fuel line from tank to injector pump.

I kept my mechanical pump (perkins 4-108) but decided to add an electric pump to make bleeding easier. Bleeding the 4-108 can be a PITA. The electric pump is on it's own on/off switch. I normally do not use it, but depend on the mechanical pump only.

My system looks like this;

fuel tank > electric pump > racor fuel filter > mechanical pump > engine fuel filter > injector pump.

Tags
electric, fuel, fuel pump

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: