Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 09:05   #1

Electric Motor Conversion

Hello and thank you for your time.
I'm considering a sailboat which is on the market with the following system:
Electric Yacht 10kw 48volt engine with hydro generator that produces up to 120 watts of charging while under way. 2x Blue Sea solar panels, 48 volt quick charge, 12 volt Intelipower charger, MPPT Solarburst 3024I, 4kw Champion Generator.

the battery storage is not disclosed, but I see it would have to be significant for any off shore passage. I assume that the battery charging would occur under sail. “5 knots of boat speed will give you 40 watts of charge and 7 Knots will give you a whopping120 watts.”
I also assume that there would be significant drag on the boat with the prop powering a generator.
If this system works, I have my hat off to the owner and his forward thinking including a composting head.

Please note that I much prefer to sail and might even tolerate a day or two becalmed rather than motor. However, I can't judge the practicality of the above arrangement for moving about in a harbor. The boat displaces about 7 1/2 tons.

Thank you so much for any advice.
fupisana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Electric Motor Conversion

I bet we see more and more of these when they are fully power and cost efficient. I'd be thrilled to see these eco-friendly machines in wide use. I'm looking forward to the day!

..........'haven't seen one in the hands of a common man out cruising yet!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Check all the other threads that have had this discussion. Just do a search for electric power and you'll get to see a lot of comments.

It's just my opinion but it hasn't been developed enough to be practical yet unless it's just to get in and out of a slip. My friend did a proper conversion, tried to sail to the Marguesas and then sold his boat.

It was a 32 foot sloop.
Old 10-05-2015, 13:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupisana1 View Post

Please note that I much prefer to sail and might even tolerate a day or two becalmed rather than motor. However, I can't judge the practicality of the above arrangement for moving about in a harbor. The boat displaces about 7 1/2 tons.

Thank you so much for any advice.

In terms of getting in and out of harbor, a 10 Kw electric motor it should provide as much thrust as a 13-15 hp diesel, so it should be OK given you displacement. How long it will do this for depends on the size of the battery bank....

It's obliviously not a motor-sailor....
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 13:59   #5

Obliviously.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 15:37   #6

Hudson Force-

A few years more for better % solar conversion and Kw battery storage capacities-but it's coming.

OP,get an understanding of batt bank and panel capacity.The hydro charger is not something to hang your charging hat on.
Seems may be workable in and out of harbor.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor