Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2011, 01:48   #1
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Electric Conversion of My Catalina 30

I've sat down and caught up on documenting the progress of converting my Catalina 30 to electric propulsion. The photos are up on my blog at www.definegravity.net/

Parallel to the engine project, I'm doing a bottom job (since we hauled the boat, it was time to kill a bunch of birds with that one stone). She should be ready to head back into the water in a few days. I have to take a little break to deal with all the tasks which have been accumulating while I've been playing boat full time for the last two weeks (including actually having to work). But I hope to start wiring the system up next week.

I really think that electric is going to take off. It isn't right for everyone, but when it's right, it's really right...

JRM

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11   #2

Re: Electric Conversion of my Catalina 30

Do you still own the electric sailboat? I am hoping to have a group of electric sailboats at the Dana Point Boat show and Green Expo. If interested in doing a raft up and showing what an electric system can do, let me know.
Mike
six two six 298 2262

Old 10-03-2011, 22:54   #3
JRM

Re: Electric Conversion of my Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunning View Post
Do you still own the electric sailboat? I am hoping to have a group of electric sailboats at the Dana Point Boat show and Green Expo. If interested in doing a raft up and showing what an electric system can do, let me know.
Mike
six two six 298 2262
I'm scheduled to work that weekend, but it would be a lot of fun. Maybe as it gets closer I'll be available. That would be a great sail down. Maybe not so much back up :-)

JRM
Old 11-03-2011, 05:50   #4

Re: Electric Conversion of My Catalina 30

Hope you can make it. We might also be up at the Ventura Boat Show. Noticed an attachment between your motor and the shaft/flang. Is that a forward and reverse gear or your reduction gear. I assume since your system is direct drive, you must have a reduction gear rather than a belt/pully system.
Regards, Mike
Old 11-03-2011, 20:06   #5
JRM

Re: Electric Conversion of My Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunning View Post
Hope you can make it. We might also be up at the Ventura Boat Show. Noticed an attachment between your motor and the shaft/flang. Is that a forward and reverse gear or your reduction gear. I assume since your system is direct drive, you must have a reduction gear rather than a belt/pully system.
Regards, Mike
That's a Browning industrial gear reduction box. I've got 2.5:1 reduction gears in it. It also makes for a really handy motor mount. It's driving an Acme 3 blade 12.5 x 14 prop (I'm pretty sure it's the 14 pitch). I gave up some top end speed for efficiency at the 2.5:1. Best estimates for my top speed are 5.5 knots, although I don't really plan to travel any distance at greater than 4 knots.

I was bummed when I saw the dates for the Ventura show. I'm going to be out of town. However, you should contact James at Propulsion Marine, he'd probably bring his electric boat down. He's got all kinds of fun toys in his, and hopefully his articulating solar array will be finished by then.

JRM

Tags
catalina, catalina 30

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: