Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
If you must do this this way, then at least add another 2 way switch below the filter feeding primarily the generator.

However, if it was me I would pay for an additional racor just for the generator, and have a dul switchable racor just for the engine. KISS - keep them seperate.
Old 01-08-2009, 13:01   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If I can get a definitive reason not to set it up like this I will move on to a dual filter dedicated to the engine fuel line.
You would need two Y valves plus hose and clamps to make your plan work. You can't get by with T junctions. You make each Y valve accept from either racor yet supply only one engine. That is why you need two Y valves. The return lines from the two would of course remain as they are since you only have one tank. You never try to a operate a two from one racor setup even if only one is operating.

In the above setup the idea is you leave things as they are now with the valves set as they feed now. Should the emergency come up that you need the crossover to draw from the other racor you could for either engine doing a double valve switch. Set them up so they point the same and always know they both need to be the same and you are fine. You have two valves with two positions each. 2 of the permutations work the other two are disasters. You have 50 /50 chance of shooting yourself in the foot with the weapon you are about to install. It should be really really obvious how they go.

You want to locate all this plumbing as close to the racors as possible using the least amount of fuel line as possible. Don't just let the valves hang loose! You need to mount all this to an epoxy treated piece of plywood all nice and pretty with big bold first mate proof lettering. It should be some place you don't have to stand on your head to get at and should be well lighted (or add lights). You want no fuel lines running loose. They should all be firmly attached to bulkheads so they can't flop around or be knocked loose by falling objects or a loose foot attached to a crew member.

Spend the money and get the really good valves. If you don't, the valves will leak air down the road (may anyway). It shows up as not expected and takes a long time to figure it out. You will by then have forgotten this posting. My setup is two racors with two tanks and now 18 years later I'm chasing air leaks. Mine wa installed quite well by the PO. It isn't the easiest place to get to but it is lit well and poorly labeled. Lots of hose clamps (use only 316 clamps).

Make sure you bleed the system for both lines at the same time so you can easily do this instant switch and not have to rebleed the line. Testing just sounds too easy when you switch out the filters normally. If you don't do that then the whole system really is not useful. It means swap both filters at the same time need it or not. The warm feeling knowing you did run both engines and did a switch over test makes you glad you did all this work. It's not a cheap or that simple a thing to install well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 01:27   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Dual Racor Design?

Ii know that this is an old thread, but I surely do appreciate the; tips, pictures, & schematics. As they say, a picture is worth... and hopefully in this case zero headaches with fuel systems as well :-)
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor