Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 04:26   #1

Boat: 53' Cutter
Drop-in Replacement for Ford Lehman

Does anyone know if any manufacturers that have designed a drop in replacement for the old Ford Lehman 85hp diesels? So far I cannot find anyone in Nova Scotia who can rebuild it, and companies in the US who can are on the high side, plus shipping costs both ways.

I also cannot get any dealers in NS to return my calls about a repower? Odd!
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Drop-in Replacement for Ford Lehman

I’d bet Beta can build drop in mounting feet for one of their engines.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’d bet Beta can build drop in mounting feet for one of their engines.
Yes, a Beta is probably pretty close to drop-in. I have problems getting beyond the prices they want. I can get the new-in-crate Kubota 85hp turbo engine for $5600 retail, and a transmission for $2650 retail. For what exactly are they charging the extra $9k+? Red paint? Exhaust heat exchanger? Jabsco pump? Manual oil change pump? Name tag? Website? It must be the boat shows and advertising?

Great engines, but they seem overpriced in my opinion. Who knows? Other options probably are not any better.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58   #4

It's hard to beat a Lehman. Too bad you cant find someone to rebuild it. No one out there with rebuilt exchange engines anymore huh?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:19   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
Does anyone know if any manufacturers that have designed a drop in replacement for the old Ford Lehman 85hp diesels? So far I cannot find anyone in Nova Scotia who can rebuild it, and companies in the US who can are on the high side, plus shipping costs both ways.

I also cannot get any dealers in NS to return my calls about a repower? Odd!
How do you determine what is a "high side"? A new engine will cost you. A rebuilt engine will cost you.

The advantages to rebuilding your engine or buying one that's been rebuilt are, it will not only fit, but it will connect to your existing transmission, controls and gauges.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27   #6

There's a place in Georgia that rebuilds lehman's. Take a road trip!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's hard to beat a Lehman. Too bad you cant find someone to rebuild it. No one out there with rebuilt exchange engines anymore huh?
If I want to pull it and ship it to Bomac in Georgia, they will rebuild it for $8800. Shipping both ways puts the total cost near $11k, and I still have a 36-year old engine (despite what some think, a rebuilt engine is not 100% new.) That price does not include going through the 36-year old transmission. Even though I think the Beta is overpriced, the total cost to rebuild the engine is 65% of the cost of a new Beta with new trans and control panel.

I cannot find anyone in NS even willing to talk about the Lehman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
How do you determine what is a "high side"? A new engine will cost you. A rebuilt engine will cost you.

The advantages to rebuilding your engine or buying one that's been rebuilt are, it will not only fit, but it will connect to your existing transmission, controls and gauges.
I understand your premise. But as above, the rebuilt engine still has some 36-year old parts on/in it. The transmission needs to be gone over as well, (and I doubt that is inexpensive), and I wouldn't combine a rebuilt engine with an old transmission.

Controls and gauges are not important. A new engine will come with a new control panel and transmission and was included in the $17k price tag for the Beta.

So to answer your question, "high side" is my opinion because a complete, new, in crate, 85hp Turbo Diesel Kubota (the exact same one Beta uses) with a new control panel is $5,600 ($8250 with transmission), and Beta wants $17k for paint, heat exchangers, and a few low priced other parts.

In my mind the rebuild cost of the Lehman is robbery. Why? Because if the engine were a Beta instead of Lehman, I could buy a new engine for $5600, bolt on the required parts from the old Beta and be done. If it costs $5600 for a brand new 85hp turbo diesel, how on earth can it cost $8800 to rebuild one?

My 8 cylinder 215hp International turbo diesel costs $4500 to rebuild. But a 4 cylinder 85hp engine is $8800? Get out!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18   #8

Too bad. There used to be places that supported the fishing industry etc all around. They rebuilt engines like those Lehman's etc. Doc Freeman's in Seattle used to specialize in those Lehman's. They are gone now and the fishing industry is very much a mega industry. There are really no machine shops up there in NS that do oddball engine work? My buddy does hot rods and he's into Buicks. He gets those old Buick engines rebuilt by the local automotive machine shop that's been there like 40 years.
Yeah , that 8800 sounds expensive, otherwise just take the engine down in your pickup truck and save the shipping.
You can marinize a Kubota I suppose if it saves that much money and you like doing that stuff. Heat exchanger, water pump">raw water pump, multi sheave pulley, mixing elbow etc. I've done a couple small ones. It's a lot of mucking around, but doable I suppose.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:27   #9

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Not sure in NS, But I would call yards that work on commercial boats. You may also want to call a few engine shops experienced with heavy equipment. Years ago we used to use a local shop that did a lot of work on stationary gens and heavy equipment they would rebuild just about anything diesel.

Anything drop in will likely be close to Beta cost. Just checked with a couple guys I used to deal with look like a Volvo or Yanmar would run around 13-15K USD for a 75 hp and transmission.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12   #10

Boat: 44 footer

What exactly is this engine doing that has you wanting to kick it to the curb?

These guys in Portland Maine have Ford Lehman as one of their lines: About Bob Chamberlain and Casco Bay Diesel

If not them, I would give a call to the Hinckley yard down in Bar Harbor and ask for pricing/shop between you and them that you could drop the engine in a truck bed and drive to. The talk about pallets and shipping is a few thousand dollars for a days worth of drive and ferry ride.

The guys down around Frenchmens bay ought to have someone local and knowledgeable as they've got a lot of boats they are responsible for that are older than dirt and kept in great shape.

Some guys are picky and want to remove and install the engine if they rebuild it with a warranty... Which isn't a bad thing.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There are really no machine shops up there in NS that do oddball engine work?
The boat is in a commercial boat yard - a very large one. My 85hp engine is a toy for these guys. Even if they would rebuild it, they are booked 18 months out. But like I said in the OP, I cannot seem to get shops to return my calls. Shops exist, but I guess they have more than enough work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
What exactly is this engine doing that has you wanting to kick it to the curb?

Broken piston, bent rod, possibly bent crank...I didn't do it, the previous owner did.

It is not that I want to get rid of it, I just do not like being robbed on a rebuild. Paying 65%++ of new is poor judgement.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39   #12

Quote:
The boat is in a commercial boat yard - a very large one. My 85hp engine is a toy for these guys. Even if they would rebuild it, they are booked 18 months out. But like I said in the OP, I cannot seem to get shops to return my calls. Shops exist, but I guess they have more than enough work.

Broken piston, bent rod, possibly bent crank...I didn't do it, the previous owner did.

It is not that I want to get rid of it, I just do not like being robbed on a rebuild. Paying 65%++ of new is poor judgement.
I was thinking along the lines of an automotive shop. But that engine sounds pretty broken. I would likely move on.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:59   #13

Yes, you are a small fry to a large commercial outfit. I will suggest a call to Baddeck Marine in Cape Breton. You never know...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Yes, you are a small fry to a large commercial outfit. I will suggest a call to Baddeck Marine in Cape Breton. You never know...
I did. Called and emailed with no response.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:23   #15

Quote:
I did. Called and emailed with no response.
Try henryweldfuller at gmail.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, men