Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 22:25   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Does Ford Dorset 2701e Stop Switch Activate When Forward or Back?

1 hello - i haven't run this engine before, i have bled air from filter t0 injectors, and all seems good. there appears to be a cold start button in the boss of the stop swing arm/lever, which i am using. but how to know whether lever is at 'stop' when back or forward (along centreline of boat)?. i have looked at the ford 88pp parts manual but it doesn't feature!

2 i occasionally get a blip of interest from the engine while running the starter, the only other thing i can think of is fuel -is there a 'fuel improver', or can injector cleaner boost combustion directly?

thanks all - and to those who responded so helpfully to my past posts on this engine!
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Does Ford Dorset 2701e Stop Switch Activate When Forward or Back?

Boracay had a similar engine when I brought her.

I put in a cable with a pull knob on the end which worked.

There should only be two positions. If you've tried both the problem could lie elsewhere.

I had three marine mechanics advise me that the engine was sound so I put quite a bit of money and effort into trying to get the engine to go, however it was old and in such bad shape that it was usless. I eventually gave the engine away in return for help in removing it. When taken apart it was discovered that the pushrods were bent.

For what it's worth I fitted a new battery and lift pump, then discovered that it would only start with a liberal spray of ether (which may have contributed to the bent pushrods).

Along with this I was advised to have the water pump">raw water pump rebuilt for almost $1000 and then discovered that oil was pouring out of the front engine. Another boat buck later with oil still pouring out I pulled the plug and sent it to the great junkyard in the sky.

I now have 200 hours on my John Deere 4045 DFM. It has run perfectly from the day it was installed.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

That excess fuel button was only intended for cold weather starting, and if the heater plugs are all glowing ok, its all you need

As I recall, when the fuel shut off lever is turned away from the front end of the engine ( away from the end with the belt pulleys ) it shuts off the fuel. That movment also resets the excess button, if the engine hasnt already been started. If you push the button and start the engine, it resets automatically after a few seconds.

Check there is an unblocked breather to the fuel tank.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If I remember rightly the solenoid I fitted closed and stopped the engine by pulling the lever to the front of the engine. Just seen Anjou's post and I am really confused now. I am sure the soleniod pulled when activated by the stop switch though.

Found this on my searches:

http://bf494.co.uk/assets/ford_lehma...rinisation.pdf

However, I agree with Boracay, the Dorset engines are even older than the Dover which I had. If you get it running fine, but don't invest any serious cash in it as there are newer engines about.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stop Solenoid.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	39609  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oops, I think your talking about the smaller 2.5L Ford engine rather than the larger 4.2L 4 cyl Ford.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote