Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 16:10   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Does diesel fuel return line have to be above fuel tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Honest question: why? All one seems to need to know is fuel consumption for range planning, i.e., how many hours per gallon or litre your engine uses. How much goes into engine use and how much is returned is immaterial. Interesting to know, but useless for real world operation and boat range.
Honest answer (from my perspective, not Jackos): Jacko's first sentence (post #19) explains it. To see if the degree of fuel polishing is sufficient to be effective.

Take say a 25 litre fuel tank and a 2GM20 engine running at ~ 1litre per hour (consumed). If the return line is returning 2 litres per hour (at that throttle setting), then after 8 hours of operation, all the remaining fuel has been though the primary and secondary filters at least once.

IMO, this is good real world information however I agree it isn't essential!

However if the numbers are different then conclusion is different
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 13:59   #32

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Does diesel fuel return line have to be above fuel tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Your problem was they were Volvos, the most complaint ridded power plants in the marine world, as are their cars in the auto world. The car division is owned by the Chinese, don't know if their engine builder is too.
Here we go again, someone spreading negatives & bad-mouthing a proud brand name product with no specifics. I wish you would either state what your personal problem with the product is, before you start bad-mouthing them.
If you knew anything at all about the automotive business, you would know the Chinese are the corporate owners of the Volvo name, but the product is still built in Sweden as well as a number of other countries. If you don't know the truth, please do not bad mouth a good product just because you may have had a bad experience yourself.
I have driven Volvo cars for the past 50 years & never had a problem. I have accumulated more than 300.000 MILES on more than just a few of them, so I think I know what I am talking about; furthermore, many so called "problems" are often found to be caused by improper, or neglected maintenance ... & no, I do not work for Volvo, & have been retired for more than 20 years in the trucking industry. I do own some old Volvo cars with very high mileages & they all continue to run well ... because they are properly maintained.
Although I have never owned a Volvo marine engine, I have no doubt they are equally as good if well maintained. So enough of the bad mouthing unless you have some proven facts to back up your comments. You run the risk of becoming known as a "muck slinger"
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank