Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-04-2016, 20:54   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Do transmission or oil coolers "wear out"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I know that when I was considering the Pearson 422/424 that I came across lots of comments about the transmission oil cooler and that many people had just removed theirs with no problems at all. You should check on the Pearson Owner sites for an answer based on experience for your boat.
Are you sure it wasn't the cooler for the V-drive oil you're thinking about? Not sure about transmission or oil coolers but I know several Pearson owners that have removed the salt water cooling through the V-drive since it eventually eats through the case and kills the drive. Some have been running for years and hundreds of hours with this setup with no problem.

Old 17-04-2016, 21:07   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Many yacht engine/trans systems are run at small fractions of their maximum ratings. In such cases, the cooler may well be unneeded. In any event, simply monitoring the transmission temperature, either with an oil temp gauge or an IR external thermometer and with the water flow shut off temporarily will show if the cooler is needed.

Jim
This is how I understand it. The BW velvet drive and the Walter V-drive are used in power boats with much more horsepower and higher speeds than my little sailboat. For a sailboat at low speed and a 58 HP engine both are operating at well below their maximum rated capacities and should run much cooler as a result.

Old 18-04-2016, 06:07   #33

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Many yacht engine/trans systems are run at small fractions of their maximum ratings. In such cases, the cooler may well be unneeded. In any event, simply monitoring the transmission temperature, either with an oil temp gauge or an IR external thermometer and with the water flow shut off temporarily will show if the cooler is needed.

Jim
Well that settles it. The coolers are just put on so they can charge extra for the boat. I'm taking mine off next weekend.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:26   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well that settles it. The coolers are just put on so they can charge extra for the boat. I'm taking mine off next weekend.
Actually I don't think that's what we are saying at all. Simply that coolers may be specified for a particular transmission (and in my case also a V-drive) but when using that transmission in a boat that that has a much smaller engine and load than the maximum rating of the transmission, then that transmission will of course run much cooler and an external cooler may not be necessary.

Boat builders will generally go with the more conservative approach and install the cooler if specified by the manufacturer to avoid claims and concerns from the customers. If you want to assign more nefarious motives to the practice I can't deny it could be possible.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:08   #35

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
May I suggest that you first control the temperature of the transmission-fluid in your gearbox when running under engine for a while? On my boat they first tried without and, after finding out the temperature is getting too high, installed the oilcooler for the transmission.

Fair winds
Dody

Tags
oil, transmission

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: