Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 11:57   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: DIY Injection Pump Rebuild

All find and dandy for you young Bucks! But what's an ole fart gonna do with all that tool junk when gets his pump built and heads to sea? And how many of those pumps are ya all gonna rebuild.

The nice thing about taking it to a pro is it will get tested and a guarantee, I would hope.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:00   #32

It's not that it can't be done; the question would be is why, when it can be done cheaper, better with more reliability by somebody else. You'll have your injector pump "fun" just getting it off and on the engine, along with the added amusement of getting the engine to restart once reinstalled.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:58   #33

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Sea Hunter's right, in the end. You'll have several weekends' worth of fun getting it off, back on, and getting the engine to run again.

That said, all those Internet instructions are mega-cool, and I'm not sure I could resist the temptation to crack a pump open and try it myself. Oh wait! I actually did that last winter!

My CAV pump on a Volvo diesel was leaking fuel slowly into the bilge. I found Internet instructions on how to replace the seals on the top end without removing the pump from the engine. Found the seals, did the brain surgery. Putting it back together I popped a stud off overtightening it. Panic!

So I called Blue Ridge Diesel in Virginia. They had previously given me a quote on rebuilding the pump. I expected at the best, "I told you so," condescension. At worst a "you're screwed and need to buy a new pump". What I got instead was-- "Oh, no problem. I've got one of those. Can mail it to you for ten bucks or so." These guys are the Mother Theresas of the mechanical world!

So I got the pump back together, got the engine back together, and got the whole thing running. But... it still leaked fuel. So I called up Richard at Blue Ridge Diesel again, my tail between my legs. He was still supportive. "Sure, send it on up. We'll take a look at it and see what we can do."

I got a call from Richard a couple of weeks later. Apparently I had warped the top cover when I took it off or put it back on. "It happens some times," he said. "That pump was in pretty good shape. Just needed some new seals," he said. The total cost of the rebuild: less than half his original estimate. My engine now runs great!

I left the experience with: 1) if you haven't picked it up yet-- the HIGHEST respect for Blue Ridge Diesel. 2) a fascination with the design and workings of old diesel injection pumps-- thus my dangerous delight at reading some of the postings above. And, 3) far less fear about probing into the delicate innards of my diesel.

Still, I guess, unless I had an old engine I just wanted to play with, I'd send the pump to Richard for a rebuild.

Wait a minute, what the heck is a sailboat auxiliary EXCEPT an old engine I just want to play with?
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

One more thing, I used to have a sign in my shop, 25.00 per hr, 35.00 if you watch, 50.00 if you try to help !! 100.00 if you took it apart before you brought it in !! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I am going through an IP Rebuild with Southeast Power of Tampa doing the work right now.

To ensure that everything's copacetic when the pump goes back on, I left the high pressure lines in place when I dropped the pump off and asked the shop to clean, inspect and pressure test the lines and its a good thing I did. Yesterday I got a call from the shop to inform me that two of the pressure lines showed seepage at the pump under pressure and close inspection under a glass revealed some corrosion that had erroded the lines beyond sealing. Evidently water had gotten to them (I had had a leaky pressure cap for awhile so I suspect that was the source). To be safe I am replacing all four of the lines as there's no point in going through this exercise and still having any leakage. Had I done the rebuild myself, there is no way that I could have done such a hig-pressure test.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21   #36

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
It's not that it can't be done; the question would be is why, when it can be done cheaper, better with more reliability by somebody else. You'll have your injector pump "fun" just getting it off and on the engine, along with the added amusement of getting the engine to restart once reinstalled.
Cheaper?
500-1000$ for a rebuild or 2,200$ that westerbeke quotes you for a new injection pump. It might be all relative, but to me its a ripoff.
Tools are not that expensive and large....we tend to think of it that way cause we don't know whats involved. Precisely why mechanics, shops etc. can charge that much, cause people will pay b/c they don't know how.

For for my IP re-build project i have spent 30$ for re-build kit on ebay, and $200 for used injection pump on ebay. Pump was re-built professionally 20 years ago but was never used. Same model as mine. Back when I had Atomic 4, I had two starters, 2 alternators 2 carburetors.
Well with diesel I think 2 Injection pumps is a must.

This thread is for people that wanna re-build it themselves,
I am hoping to find experiences from others that are going through this process, links to information and pricing for tools, parts, bench testing, calibration, governor settings etc. But its mostly warnings about how it can never be done, or I shouldn't do it.
Unfortunately even on tractor forums all you find the same thing. Don't do it don't do it.
I am not done yet, and I wont know for sure how I did until I test run the engine, but when its all said and done, Ill be sure to share absolute bare minimum in tools, re-build and calibration needed to have the pump running.
phorvati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:28   #37

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Again!!!! make SURE you use a chisel to mark the current installed position of the pump!!and watch the rotation as its removed !! Ive had folks remove them and have to Pay to have someone reinstall the pump!! the perks are wonderfull long lived engines,but are oldfashioned and a little hard to repair with out proper testing tools !! so save yourself some bucks and get it done right the first time !!
How very true.
I spent almost two days putting the pump on one of my personal diesel vehicles in. Something was not perfectly aligned. The machining is to very tight specs and they do not have wiggle room. When everything is properly set and aligned, a couple of minutes to slide it in.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41   #38

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Cheaper?
500-1000$ for a rebuild or 2,200$ that westerbeke quotes you for a new injection pump. It might be all relative, but to me its a ripoff.
Tools are not that expensive and large....we tend to think of it that way cause we don't know whats involved. Precisely why mechanics, shops etc. can charge that much, cause people will pay b/c they don't know how.

For for my IP re-build project i have spent 30$ for re-build kit on ebay, and $200 for used injection pump on ebay. Pump was re-built professionally 20 years ago but was never used. Same model as mine. Back when I had Atomic 4, I had two starters, 2 alternators 2 carburetors.

I am hoping to find experiences from others that are going through this process, links to information and pricing for tools, parts, bench testing, calibration, governor settings etc. But its mostly warnings about how it can never be done, or I shouldn't do it.
Unfortunately even on tractor forums all you find the same thing. Don't do it don't do it.
I am not done yet, and I wont know for sure how I did until I test run the engine, but when its all said and done, Ill be sure to share absolute bare minimum in tools, re-build and calibration needed to have the pump running.
If I were in my 20's or 30's, I give it a go myself. But having worked on machinery for over 40 years now I've learned to take advice form people that have done it, and find that some things are best left to the pro's.

As a kid I use to take watches apart just to see why they stopped. Now I just hit'm with a hammer and go buy a cheep one.
The moral of the story; Learning is a process!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29   #39

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
This thread is for people that wanna re-build it themselves.....

.....But its mostly warnings about how it can never be done, or I shouldn't do it.
Actually, the OP started the thread asking about risks and if he should do it.

He decided to have it rebuilt professionally.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Has anybody ever successfully rebuilt an injector pump or injectors themselves? I know they sell kits and that a proper rebuild takes some special equipment. I am going to have to do it for my Perkins 4108 IP and will do injectors at same time to be on the safe side. What are the risks?
Thanks....
Rich
Actually, he asked several questions, only one of which was about risks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:57   #41

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If I were in my 20's or 30's, I give it a go myself. But having worked on machinery for over 40 years now I've learned to take advice form people that have done it, and find that some things are best left to the pro's.

As a kid I use to take watches apart just to see why they stopped. Now I just hit'm with a hammer and go buy a cheep one.
The moral of the story; Learning is a process!
And there is no better lesson then trying it yourself and failing. And if i end up screwing this pump up, I will know not to touch it ever again . I'll just carry a spare and have them professionally serviced from time to time.
But if it works.....my cruising kitty just got a heck of a whole lot better, I can move that allowance from diesel service and parts, to rum and beer!!!
Not to mention being able to help a fellow cruiser, or farmer for that matter. These CAV pumps are everywhere.
phorvati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00   #42
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

past the grave yard.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 13:12   #43

Quote:
Nonsense. You could have 2 of everything and not be ready.
Quote:
Really? I thought it was about a guy seeking advice?
Quote:
I take it you have a shop onboard? Perhaps the warnings are based on a bit of experience, not "damned the torpedoes, I can fix anything and I don't need your advice" attitude.
Quote:
I am not done yet,
Yes you are.
Quote:
and I wont know for sure how I did until I test run the engine, but when its all said and done, Ill be sure to share absolute bare minimum in tools, re-build and calibration needed to have the pump running.
I'm sure your upcoming advise will be sage, however the thread was about should I do it or not. Again, in my view, $600 spent on a rebuild and the loss of a little DNA pulling and remounting ones injector pump is the way to go.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 14:43   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yikes!!!...That was a little harsh
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06   #45

Hi
I have a Perkins so maybe not the same. Helped a friend who was having desiel in the oil. We did not rebuild the whole pump. There are seals you can get to and replace without taking the whole thing down. Settings are not disturbed so you do not need the big tools. You might check the factory drawings or a shop that does the rebuilds. Maybe save some bucks. Also the shop I use will replace seals without a rebuild which is cheaper. But then maybe you are going somewhere far away and should rebuild to be sure. If you remove the pump, mark the position before removing.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild