Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 18:10   #16

Re: Discontinued MD17D Cooling Pump YIKES

Change the pump and all the weird special pipes that go with it. I will now look to find the gaskets/seals or a shop to rebuild the one I got which leaks. At least I have a pulley so the engine can be used albeit topping off the lost coolant every once in a while. Messy and a pain in the butt... but OK until I can find a solution which may wait till winter lay up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000290.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	105235  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 18:34   #17

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

If all else fails, it should be fairly easy to fabricate a bracket for suitable generic pump.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 19:16   #18

Boden... This may be a work around... using another current pump and modifying the mounting bracket and use tubing with the existing pipes. Aside from matching the flow rate/capacity which should be similar for similar size pumps... all this involves is measurements, and modifying the bracket to accept the new pump... and of course pulley alignment.
Old 12-07-2015, 19:47   #19

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Another thing I did with mine was fabricate a steel plate that bolted onto the front of the engine block. It had a substantial steel post welded to it and threaded so that an alternator could be bolted on. This allowed me to run a second alternator and was really easy to make.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 20:05   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Change the pump and all the weird special pipes that go with it. I will now look to find the gaskets/seals or a shop to rebuild the one I got which leaks. At least I have a pulley so the engine can be used albeit topping off the lost coolant every once in a while. Messy and a pain in the butt... but OK until I can find a solution which may wait till winter lay up.
Nice clean looking engine

The only problem with running with a leak is that it may stuff up the bearings and you will be back to square one....
Old 14-07-2015, 05:39   #21

Pump comes off and to a shop that does rebuilds and can do the lip seal. We'll see. Stay tuned.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:24   #22

The re built pump came back with the pulley balanced and painted gun metal gray. Installed and changed a hose and the main v belt for the engine, which drives the circulation pump and the alternator. No leaks... for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_160833.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	105608  
Old 19-07-2015, 10:16   #23

Well done! She should be good for another 30 years.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:24   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

Good news Sandero.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 17:55   #25

Thanks guys. This cost a lot less than a re power but WOW was this an expensive experience.

In retrospect... I could have gotten towed to a mooring... order the pump and pup it in and then when it leaked had it repaired and saved a lot of money. Mechanic was nice and careful but I was charged too much because I was there when he did the work... So they padded the bill and not unexpected... and why I end up doing it all myself. Anyway I found a great source for some super mechanics who can rebuild engine parts. And they are not expensive and turned it around it 2 days!
Old 17-08-2015, 13:54   #26

I would like to give a little PR to the guys who fixed this pump. The company is called Arthur Gould in Kings Park, LI, NY 631 269 0093. They now have the old pump in pieces and I am expecting an estimate to rebuild it... and if it's reasonable I will do it and keep it for a spare or sell it as they can fetch $600 or more and these pumps are no longer available. Very nice guys, very reasonable prices, very good work and very fast turn around. win win win win.
Old 26-10-2015, 17:18   #27

Update... I brought the old OEM pump to Arthur Gould for a re build and so now I have a spare.... Considering the pump lasted 30 years.... I am thinking to sell this pump as they are very very very hard to come by and people are looking all over for them.

I got the last one which leaked and was fixed... I don't know of it was sitting on shelf for ages or was a (poor) rebuild and had to have a new lip seal installed. I paid $595 for the pump and $150 for the seal...

Keep or sell?
Old 28-10-2015, 16:17   #28

Boat: 34' wood custom sailing cruiser

are the volvo mb water pumps interchangeable? I am going to be parting out my volvo md3b 30 hp model..and I have a spare or 2 on the boat, as well as 2 spare transmissions and a rebuilt alternator, and a ton of spare volvo parts......I am replacing it with another brand
retired2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 16:40   #29

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Update...
Keep or sell?
It would be hard to part with but how much can you carry? There is no end to the spares you might want to carry. It would be nice to have a repository somewhere that you store spare parts while you are out cruising. Then some friend could fly good parts to you when they quit
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 17:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2015 View Post
are the volvo mb water pumps interchangeable? I am going to be parting out my volvo md3b 30 hp model..and I have a spare or 2 on the boat, as well as 2 spare transmissions and a rebuilt alternator, and a ton of spare volvo parts......I am replacing it with another brand
You could search through a site like this with your part numbers and see what fits what... Keypart

Tags
cooling