Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 16:23   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Questions ( and Rant ) for the Day

In 30 years, I've run the gas out of a carb 3 times; each time, I simply forgot to open the fuel valve. So I have my reasons for believing that's urban legend. You don't run your car out. IF you run a carb out, but not truly drained, you only make certain that the remainder will dry.

Expect to clean the carb bowl every 3-5 years. It's easy.

Get the factory manual (not an aftermarket manual) and learn simple small engine repair. It's part of being a sailor. You can either fight it or learn it.

Does the motor have a real in-line fuel filter (some small engines have only a crude strainer--can't guess why)? Add one.

Ethanol treatment is only for storage. It actually can ADD gum other times.

Do close the tank vent EVERY TIME. In Florida the tank will suck enough water from the air to cause trouble with the passage of a single storm. Been there. Also close the fuel valve.

Carry ether; it can help. And learn to play with the choke. I have to run my engines from 20F to 100F with water temperatures from 32F to 85F; I promise you the settings are different and that starting them requires more skill and inner calm in the winter.

I'm mindful of never going further than I COULD row, though I have never had to go any distance.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:38   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I finally chucked the Seagull in a fit of passion when it quit one too many times.

Wonder how many have done that with their Seagulls.

Mine was buried at sea.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:10   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Questions ( and Rant ) for the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Wonder how many have done that with their Seagulls.

Mine was buried at sea.

I tossed one in a dumpster without regret. "AMF!"

The worst I ever had was an "ESKA" air-cooled POS. Very similar to the OP's Honda only harder to start and less reliable. Almost got me killed.

I have a little Merc 2 stroke now but once it's stolen, I won't replace it. It lives on a 9' glass dink that rows well and is easy to fish from.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:28   #19

As some one once told me, outboards are designed to be unreliable.

After 37 years of getting tof know two strokes and there design faults. I am wrecked if they do not force four strokes on us.

Maybe I should keep to oars and sail lol...
Onesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34   #20

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Question(s) and rant for the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Maybe they're like redneck girls, down deep they like to be treated bad.
Ouch.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

This Link has a list of gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel. I only burn "real" gasoline on my dinghy, generator, mower, chainsaw, and motorcycle.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:08   #22

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Dinghy Outboard Questions (and Rant)

I bet if you quit running it out of gas most of yur problems will be solved. Only run it out for storage. Learn your choke. I use two outboards choke settings are different, and make a day and night difference in starting ease.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Question(s) and rant for the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
You wouldn't like this, but ........... the past 2 seasons I didn't even take the old gas out of the tank. 6 months later the outboard started right up.

Maybe they're like redneck girls, down deep they like to be treated bad.
Ouch indeed. This bothered me as well. Almost sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Glad you didn't let it slide, Feral. Probably meant as a joke but didn't come across that way. He's from Salem, MA, where they know a lot about how to treat women. Note to non-US readers: Salem is a town where women were humiliated, tortured, stoned, and put to death for being witches. In these modern times, many now just call them "bitches".

We already know how many yachtsmen are too busy/important/plain ol lubberly to care for equipment properly. Here's one: I had a transiting yachtsman from up north here in Beaufort give me a 4 stroke Tohatsu 6 because he couldn't get it running right. He apparently had headed south without checking it out. He then took a cab to We$t Marine and bought another engine. The Tohatsu carb was full of varnish. I could smell it when he gave it to me. I even told him how to fix it. Took me an hour to get it running right, and a day to sell it for $800.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57   #24

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Question(s) and rant for the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Ouch indeed. This bothered me as well. Glad you didn't let it slide, Feral. Probably meant as a joke but didn't come across that way.
Nobody wants to be treated bad.

Not redneck girls.
Not 4 stroke outboards.
Not you, not me.

Back to sailing stuff - anyone ever try an electric trolling motor?

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05   #25

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant

Wait till the 15% ethanol hits the market! Say 'thanks' to the farm lobby but remember, it's for your own good. Lets see if 10% = 12% less gas mileage in a car, then 15% = hey, maybe we should row our cars too

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33   #26
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501

Flex-fuel and diesel engines
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37   #27

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminijimini View Post
Flex-fuel and diesel engines
well flex fuel and diesel back at ya........but we're talking outboards
FWIW as near as I can tell the only difference between a flex fuel engine and a regular gas engine is the software and the hoses/tank.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35   #28

If it doesnt start by pull 2 every time, get another motor! (Yamaha, Johnson etc) Personally I was never impressed with the Hondas... other than them being heavy and quiet! REALLY quiet when they dont run! :>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50   #29

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I bet if you quit running it out of gas most of yur problems will be solved. Only run it out for storage. Learn your choke. I use two outboards choke settings are different, and make a day and night difference in starting ease.
I agree....as a Sea Tow captain in NJ I've lived with ethanol gas for at least 2 years now. Most boaters aren't having a problem any more...I have never had a problem with it...long term storage of it or a water contaminated tank are real issues...most of the time it's not that big of a deal...with a dingy outboard...it should never be an issue. Clean out the outboard and tank..use less than 3 month old fuel and a decent small filtering system (even though I don't have one on my 6hp yammie) and you shouldn't have a problem...if you do...it's your outboard or operator error.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:16   #30
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I have a 2Hp Johnson I bought in 1980 new. It always starts on the 2nd or third pull when I don't run the gas out of it, and on the 5th or 6th pull when I do. Usually I run the gas out of it because I don't want gas sitting in the carb and lines and I store it in a bin on my motorhome, lying on its side, I have bad dreams of gasoline leaking and setting the MH on fire. Anyway the only work done on that engine was replacing the fuel shut off valve, which froze up, and replacing the choke handle that you pull out for choke or push in for no choke. It broke off after about twenty years of use. I have to full choke it when its cold but after a few minutes it warms up and runs fine with no choke. When its warm it doesn't have to be choked. I have even dropped it in a lake and after blowing the water out it started right up.

It is sensitive to where the throttle is positioned when trying to start. It has two knobs connected to the carb for High speed setting and Idle setting and is very sensitive to those, but once set they never need to be changed unless some doofus (usually me) fiddles with them.

It's only drawback is it is noisy as all get out, but when the noise gets to me I just shut it off and use the oars.

Tags
dinghy, outboard