Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-03-2010, 14:02   #46

There is certainly plenty of coolant. Any ideas as to why it would be overheating?

Old 16-03-2010, 14:04   #47

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good Idea...get that packing glad tightened so you don't sink..but don't reef on it..a drip now and then is normal...as was said running it awhile will help it out and you may want to loosen it back up a tad as it warms and expands after a few minutes running...you can actually burn your prop shaft by having it to tight.

I would pull the thermostat as well and change it out now..I never trust them after an overheat..you can test them by placing them in a pan on the stove top and measure the opening temp with a meat or candy thermometer...so Im not saying its bad but I would want to know its opening as #2 test...water flow was 1#...heat exchanger restriction is 3#

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 14:10   #48

So it has water flow, and coolant, but is still overheating. Heat exchanger not working? I really don't know how these systems are set up. It did take quite a long time to warm up though.

Also, where is a good place to get parts for this engine?
Old 16-03-2010, 14:27   #49

Also, how do you energize the glow plugs? I found the manual for this engine online and it says there is a separate glow plug switch. I thought the glow plugs were energized when I turned the key to the on position but apparently that is just the oil pressure buzzer. There are two switches on the ignition control panel but they are very worn and I can't tell what they are. One of them has something to do with the battery and I assume the other one starts the glow plugs.
Old 16-03-2010, 15:00   #50

Usually one of two ways...a momentary ( Spring loaded side to your ignition switch, usually in the opposite direction)...or a separate momentary switch...usually a push button at the control panel... When you figure that out...have some one hold it while you check for 12volts going to each preheater...at least you will know it they are getting current.

If I remember I thought you said they were on some sort of timer?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 16-03-2010, 15:13   #51

Back to your cooling issue:

Because you said you have good exhaust water flow

1) pull the thermostat make sure its opening and not all plugged up...look at the condition of the passage way as best you can...is there a bunch of jelled up gooey salty looking crap in there or is it nice and clear?

2) Pull off the ends of your heat exchanger to expose the "Bundle" a grouping of copper lines in your heat exchanger...make sure the holes are unobstructed and they look clean and not all corroded.

if these are ok

3) Inspect your impeller...even though you said you have good flow is it good enough...replace it if in doubt.

Another possibility is You may need to burp your engine as well...depending on how it is plumbed it can trap air and not alow proper circulation of water.

Here is the bundel end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundel.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	13904  

Old 16-03-2010, 17:37   #52

Is there a Manual for this engine I can buy? I'm really not familiar with it and where things are.
Old 16-03-2010, 22:05   #53

So the leak coming from the driveshaft is actually started starting to become significant. I would estimate it's on the order of 10-15 gals per hour. What exactly do I have to tighten to fix this?
Old 16-03-2010, 23:06   #54
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If there is hot water coming out..there may be a petcock or block drain that is open.

What does you packing gland look like?

Two big nuts or a flange with two 9/16 nuts
Old 17-03-2010, 09:39   #55

The packing gland is a rubber tube with clamps at either end and a large flange at the end that the driveshaft runs into. The space between the flange and the driveshaft is where it's leaking from. I tried tightening the clamps but that made no difference since they are not leaking. I don't see any other way I can adjust it to stop the leaking.
Old 17-03-2010, 09:43   #56

Boat: ODAY 28
Seems like we are dealing with two problems,
As the other repleys suggest, check the packing on the gland, there is a adjustment, however from the amount of water coming in, might need packing replaced.
overheating, is your engine fresh water cooled, if so might check that the fresh water pump is working, I also had a cooler pluged on the fresh waer side.. from what you said you are getting water out of the exhaust.
also I have found most engine manufactures, have engine manuals on line free of charge...
hope that helps
Old 17-03-2010, 09:44   #57

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Can you take a picture and post?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: