Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 23:01   #1

Boat: Dufour 310
Diesel Volvo 2040 With The Hippy Hippy Shakes

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable assistance.

Volvo 2040 with 2000 hours.

I am getting abnormal vibration between 1200 and 1800 revs. Same in drive and neutral. Have just replaced engine mounts to Polyflex mounts which has not really helped. Starts easily, does not smoke. Idles ok. Once past 1800 rpm seems to level out ok.

Motor has been constantly serviced, never been overly smooth and this just seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas where to start?? My mechanic (a family friend) is scratching his head. In Pittwater area AU.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 00:24   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Diesel Volvo 2040 With The Hippy Hippy Shakes

Without more information, sounds like an injector problem. Have you tried, when it's in shake mode, cracking the injector nuts one at a time to see if you can isolate it? The engine may die if you crack a good cylinder, I've seen 4 cylinder engines run on 2 before...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 00:26   #3

have you changed the fuel filters? ... mine got the shakes after bad fuel clogged up the filters.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:15   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable assistance.

Volvo 2040 with 2000 hours.

I am getting abnormal vibration between 1200 and 1800 revs. Same in drive and neutral. Have just replaced engine mounts to Polyflex mounts which has not really helped. Starts easily, does not smoke. Idles ok. Once past 1800 rpm seems to level out ok.

Motor has been constantly serviced, never been overly smooth and this just seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas where to start?? My mechanic (a family friend) is scratching his head. In Pittwater area AU.
I suggest a different mechanic. One who is certified in Volvo engines. You have already spent a bunch of money replacing something that didn't need to be replaced. Hiring a qualified mechanic will be cheaper in the long run than replacing parts until the problem goes away.
Old 20-11-2014, 09:14   #5

Boat: (none)

I agree with the previous poster; sounds like an injector. You might want to try some SeaFoam or Lucas injector cleaner (if it's available where you are). Read the label on the SeaFoam, or any product before you use it to make sure it's safe for Diesel and won't harm plastic components. I can't remember if SeaFoam is safe or not...
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:14   #6

Thanks for the help with this. I have had some advice that the tappets should be checked and I have found that the 5th valve did not seem to have any clearance. Adjusted and it is a fair bit better although not perfect. I will get into the injectors next. Hope this feedback may help someone else. Less of the hippy hippy shakes.

Sent from my G630-U251 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40   #7

I will be swapping out the injectors next week from a similar motor that is running well. I am hoping this will fix the vibration that seems to be getting worse. Any tips for doing this. I have never changed injectors before?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41   #8

Boat: Monk 36

I have a MD2030 so it is close enough. I had the injectors rebuilt last year. Prior to pulling them I made sure the area was VERY clean and free from anything that might drop into the injector threaded hole or the injector pump. Several of the injectors had burnt tips from the PO never having had them checked.

If you are not going to replace the injectors right away cover the area with clean rags or a towel - keeps it clean.

Be very careful of the injector lines. You kink one, figuring on replacing it. You'll have to loosen the nuts on both ends to remove the lines.

Do you have the service manual?

Replace the copper packing under each injector - not worth taking a chance on a leak.

Check the torque specs for the injectors - you may need a special deep socket for getting over the injector.

Have fun. It sounds like the injectors have never been serviced and that could be your problem.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 14:13   #9

Thanks dpddj really hoping it is the injectors. So you undid both sides of the lines and removed before taking out the injectors? Could I ask what the cost was to have the 3 injectors serviced please. I don't own a torque wrench I was thinking of using a spanner and thanks for the tip on the copper packing I will get new ones.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:19   #10

Boat: Monk 36

Hippy Hippy.
Yes, I undid the nuts at both ends of the delivery lines. I don't recall the order but at the pump you have to remove outer ones in order to get a wrench on inner ones. Also loosen the strap clamp going across the delivery lines - makes it easier. They should lift off as a unit. Then remove the fuel return line assembly at the top of the injectors.
Two of the delivery lines cost about 28USD each and one of them was about 98USD. They all look similar sized and no one could explain why the one was so expensive. I replaced them because they were very rusty and I did not want to develop pinholes.
The injectors cost about 200USD for three to be rebuilt at a local shop. When you pull them, if the injector nozzle tip is burnt, time for a rebuild.
Clean everything before you replace.
Do you have the workshop manual? That lists the injector tightening torque as 60-70 Nm (44.3-51.6 ft lbs)
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:00   #11

Just an update. I have now had the injectors rebuilt with new nozzles. The motor goes much better, smoother, more power and the vibration has reduced. However, vibration is still present between 1300 and 1800 revs. Considering if I should remove the pump and and have it serviced also?

Tags
diesel, volvo