Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 13:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Diesel tank leak - a bit unsure what to do

Fuel senders are designed to lift out of the tank leaving nothing behind. So no issue unscrewing fitting bases. Go to a auto parts store and buy a sealer made to work with the type of fuel you use - gas or diesel. Then you can use the existing gaskets and will solve your leaks.
If the tanks are common, better parts stores will have the gaskets. Take them with you.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 15:19   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Diesel tank leak - a bit unsure what to do

I had a similar problem on my Beneteau 423. The leak was from the sender until. The leak ended up being from one of the self tapping screws. I replaced it with the next size up. I would have drilled out the ring with a bigger size but didn't have a drill at the time. Now that the leak has stopped I think I will leave well enough alone. Longer term that may mean another leak. The leaked fuel ended up in our bilge. We sopped it up with spill pads. We also sent a few passes of bilge cleaner down from the tank end to get rid of the fuel odor.

We did notice that the leak happened when the tank was topped of to max capacity. Without the extra pressure from a full tank we didn't have a leak problem, even when healed over. You may not be so lucky, but keeping the tank down a bit from full may help you make it until you have time to repair.

You might check with the Beneteau 393, 423, or 473 groups on Yahoo. Those fittings and tanks look like the same.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel