Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Diesel Tank Installation

Hi all,

I am replacing the fuel tank on an Albin Vega. It is positioned in the starboard locker and is above the lift pump pickup. The new tank has the supply pickup on top of the tank.

Do I have to create a new supply at the bottom of the tank? I can't see how it could possibly be bled otherwise. If so any recommendations for a suitable fitting?

Cheers, Pete

Old 01-09-2014, 07:42   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Diesel Tank Installation

I'm not sure what you mean by, "bled."

The lift pump will draw from the new tank, and if the lift pump is lower than the level of fuel in the new tank, a siphon will continue to feed the pump.

I have a Vega as well, (two boat owner!), and I have the keel tank.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I believe the AYBC prohibits fuel lines emerging from the bottom of tanks. But, hey, that's just the American way of doing stuff.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40   #4
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

The pick up tube would extend from the top of the tank down to just above the bottom on the inside. You will need to come up with fittings or solder up some copper tube and a brass fitting to do the job. As long as you don't run out of fuel, the height of the tank should not matter.
Old 01-09-2014, 14:55   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27

OK guys thats great news. Thanks for the info saves me whole loada trouble.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As Guy said. My copper tube stops about 1/2" from the bottom, and is cut at a 45 degree angle to prevent anything in the bottom one inch from entering the intake tube. This reduces the chances of slurping up some goo or water.

The first pic shows the pickup tube and float switch for the fuel gauge. The tank is made of plywood, fiberglass and epoxy resin with graphite powder. Easy to clean out via the large access holes seen in the next pic. The holes are placed on either side of the perforated plate that reduces the force of the tank contents from surging back and forth.

The second pic shows the right-angled plumbing fitting mounted in a plate at the top of the pickup tube. The other fittings include the dipstick (yellow handle), the fuel gauge switch, the 1/2" vent hose, and the fuel fill hose. Not shown is the fuel return hose which tees into the fill pipe. The vent hose connects to an overflow preventer, then to the vent, located just beneath the fuel fill fitting on the cabintop. I use this arrangement to provide a clear drop to the tank for rapid filling of fuel and no chance of spilling diesel when refueling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06192.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	87549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06195.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	87550  

Old 02-09-2014, 17:03   #7

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Why graphite powder? Makes it potentially electro conductive which does not seem beneficial. FYI- the senders all have a similar bolt pattern, it is an SAE standard; making a hole with a blocking plate when it is readily accessible makes a lot of sense even if you are not installing a gauge now.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Graphite powder made it black. Black is cool. As far as electroconductivity, you're free to experiment, though, short of a lightning bolt, I think it will be inconclusive. Actually, when I built the boat, in the mid-seventies, I used graphite powder on every exterior surface below the waterline, because it dramatically improved the abrasion resistance of the hull. I was thinking, at the time, that I might need to beach the boat from time to time for servicing. That didn't turn out to be very common, but I am greatly reassured if it ever happens. I once recoated the bottom of some surf rescue dories the lifeguards used in San Diego. The idea was that dragging the boats up on the sand scratched the fiberglass and slowed them down. The graphite powder in epoxy did the trick. That year, the life guard teams swept the Southern California relay championships. Then, they replaced surf dories with inflatables and jet skis. Oh well. But I had a lot of graphite powder so I used it as a colorant in some projects. Oh, and when I built the tank, also many years ago, there was no standard gauge. I was lucky, though, because the one I installed a few years later, was standard. Before that, I used the yellow handled dip stick. In the old days (where did I leave my cane and buggy whip???) things were more unique, few boats built with plywood and epoxy, and most sailors were skeptical about the longevity of the multihull fad. No one even conceived of carbon fiber masts and hulls, foils, and forty-knot America's Cups. Time marches on, but some things become icons.

Tags
diesel, installation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: