Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23   #61

Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Given the extensive list of symptoms, I think you may be right...

Get a loaner coolant pressure tester, or devise a makeshift one yourself...

edit: There's no harm making a Mai Tai and pouring a few sips into the coolant reservoir... At least you'll have most of tasty cocktail to ponder with...

Ten steps ahead of you on the drink, at least my floating apartment is by the beach. I've got a bike pump I can rig up to test the system later, then hopefully order a gasket tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19   #62

Definitely losing pressure somewhere in the cooling system, pressurized it to 10 psi, 2.5 hours later the systems around 6-7 psi

Old 07-12-2014, 09:29   #63

For all the time a goofing around, just take the head off! Should take you about 1/2 hour if you've done it before. An hour if not. Heck in the time it takes to post here and wait for responses it'll be off!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05   #64

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

After 4 months of screwing around, you say the engine is now worse than when you started. Have you thought of hiring a diesel mechanic?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:18   #65

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For all the time a goofing around, just take the head off! Should take you about 1/2 hour if you've done it before. An hour if not. Heck in the time it takes to post here and wait for responses it'll be off!
I pretty much have to agree here. I went back to the first page and reread the first post where the first symptom was when the engine was under power and then it suddenly started belching smoke. Since then there has been a bit of time and money spent here and nothing has really changed (do not take this to be criticism, and it looks so far that the money spent was not wasted on needless stuff).

However, before I could pull this head with a clear conscience I'd at least check valve clearances and also do a compression test. Problem is the tools are pricey for a one time use, so either see if you can borrow some or at least pull the injectors and then hire a mechanic to do it and show you how it is done. Should be only an hour if the injectors are already pulled and the engine is easy to get to.

If you don't have it already, here's the manual for a 35b:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja

Good luck, I know it seems like a ball and chain at this point but hang in there!
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38   #66

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
After 4 months of screwing around, you say the engine is now worse than when you started. Have you thought of hiring a diesel mechanic?
I somewhat agree here, but at the same time I respect those people who try to figure out problems by themselves instead of just throwing money at someone else (AKA the phrase "My toolbox consists of a checkbook").

Sometimes the hardest struggles we make for ourselves are the ones we learn the most from.

Another way to look at it is Mr. V8 has pretty much done everything else except pull the head, so he might as well finish the job himself!

Anyway, I think he should be commended for hanging in there and not throwing in the towel, it can only make him a better and more confident person as far as life is concerned. I could only wish that all of life's problems were as simple as a crappy running motor.....
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38   #67

Yeah a compression test would be nice.... but will take a few days to find a fitting or have one made.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:27   #68

Hey guys, thanks for all the support and recommendations, I appreciate it. I did hire a mechanic to come compression test the motor, and he also gave it a once over while he was here. He said my compression was fine but I have my doubts he performed it correctly in retrospect, I don't think a man can hold a nozzle against ~400psi. I definitely know when I'm over my head and need some help, so far I'm just slugging along though. And I've learned a ton about my motor!

I'm getting ready to take the head off today, like someone mentioned it's really about the last thing to check, and my favorite part, it's free to look!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02   #69

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Just be methodical and take one problem at a time, first fix the coolant leak to ascertain it's not a head gasket. If she's black smoking it's either excess unburnt fuel or a blocked/restricted air flow. Light grey/white smoke could be air. First fix the coolant, next get it timed perfectly and see how you stand then.
The rev drop can be sorted out when the engines running perfect.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 15:58   #70

As close as I could tell the leak was coming from somewhere in the head/block/ exhaust manifold junction.

Pulled the head, no glaring tears in the gasket. I've only done a head gasket once before a while ago, is it possible there was a small crack or leak under all this crap? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1417996695.948731.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	93182

Now I've just got to track down a new gasket and reassemble, anybody got anything to test, try, or clean as long as it's apart?

Old 07-12-2014, 17:09   #71

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
...I respect those people who try to figure out problems by themselves instead of just throwing money at someone else...
Me too. But having a pro troubleshoot it, first, the OP might have immediately gone on to effect a repair. Now it will be much more work to diagnose.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 17:18   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Carefully inspect the mating surfaces of the head and block. You might want to get some Dynaflux or some like solution and check for cracks in the head and block. How do the valves look? Maybe want to send the head out to have it rebuilt. The machine shop will also be able to check for cracks in the head. Also check the block and head mating surfaces to ensure that they are true.

Is there any sign of coolant leaking into any of the cylinders? Any wet carbon buildup? Maybe post some pictures of the mating surfaces before and after cleaning.

That should keep you busy for a while.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 18:43   #73

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Look for any visual difference of one piston top/ cylinder/ combustion chamber compared to the other two.

That would be a clue as to where to focus cardful exmination.

Cracks can be especially hard to find. Use one light source shined from all angles possible.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Carefully inspect the mating surfaces of the head and block. You might want to get some Dynaflux or some like solution and check for cracks in the head and block. How do the valves look? Maybe want to send the head out to have it rebuilt. The machine shop will also be able to check for cracks in the head. Also check the block and head mating surfaces to ensure that they are true.

Is there any sign of coolant leaking into any of the cylinders? Any wet carbon buildup? Maybe post some pictures of the mating surfaces before and after cleaning.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Look for any visual difference of one piston top/ cylinder/ combustion chamber compared to the other two.

That would be a clue as to where to focus cardful exmination.

Cracks can be especially hard to find. Use one light source shined from all angles possible.
Drop the head off at a HEAD REBUILDING or DIESEL shop..... NOT a regular machine shop...

Tell them you're on a limited budget and would rather not do a valve job if they don't think it's necessary...

Ask them to:
1. Check for a crack
2. Clean up the deck (but not take too much off)

You'll get your head back all shiny and pretty, as they'll dunk it first... With one super nice mating surface... Under $100...

Get a straight edge and check your block surface (google checking a block for warpage)

Install posts to come as we progress...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08   #75

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hang in there V8,
We all have to learn sometime and by the time your done you'll have learnt about your motor. Westerbeke marinise engines and somewhere along the line you'll discover what the base motor is and be able to source direct for cheaper genuine spares.
Among all the sound advice I would respectfully add that when the engine is rebuilt and ready to fire you check all the seawater coolant valves, pipes, impeller for wear blockages etc. backflush if possible to clear any debris caught at the cooling stacks, (it's possible the engine may have been overheated to cause the head to get distorted or crack).
Boy will you enjoy a cold one when all's done and dusted.
Good Luck.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, loa