Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 06:34   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
Alright guys, back in business. Took the head for a second opinion yesterday, that guy couldn't do it but directed me to a race car engine building shop, long story short, so long as it's not cracked I'm all set.

Which means I'm back to the exhaust manifold and cleaning everything else up. Moving forward!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
There ya go !!!

Keep us updated... It would be awesome if you got this thing back together in the $500 range...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58   #107

Quote:
Alright guys, back in business. Took the head for a second opinion yesterday, that guy couldn't do it but directed me to a race car engine building shop, long story short, so long as it's not cracked I'm all set.

Which means I'm back to the exhaust manifold and cleaning everything else up. Moving forward!

I guess I don't get it.... did the race car shop have a magical way of fixing the deteriorated combustion chamber?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:40   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess I don't get it.... did the race car shop have a magical way of fixing the deteriorated combustion chamber?

The combustion chamber is fine, it's the valve seats and exhaust port that were bad. I guess the first guy didn't trust his own work enough. Funny for a place called "cylinder head depot."

Race shop said need to clean up exhaust port, reseat exhaust valve, grind or reseat intake valve, and it's good to go. Dependent on all sorts of variables, of course

strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51   #109

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Keep in mind that many race car engines only need to last for 1/4-mile.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Keep in mind that many race car engines only need to last for 1/4-mile.

Kinda like how mine only needs to get me to the inlet. So, perfect!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:08   #111

I don't know how a "deteriorated" valve seat can be fixed unless it was just slightly pitted and can be ground out.
However, valve seats can be replaced entirely on a lot of engines.... anyway... hopefully you are on the road to success! did anyone check for leaks/cracks?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:18   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't know how a "deteriorated" valve seat can be fixed unless it was just slightly pitted and can be ground out.
However, valve seats can be replaced entirely on a lot of engines.... anyway... hopefully you are on the road to success! did anyone check for leaks/cracks?

Spot on. The one is getting replaced, he said he thinks the other can still be machined slightly and work in situ, otherwise that's getting replaced as well. They're pressure testing it before anything else gets done and well move forward from there

Old 16-12-2014, 16:01   #113

Diesel Struggles Under Load

Tested the exhaust manifold, definitely leaking into the exhaust gas chamber. Gonna take it apart tomorrow and see if it's the manifold or just the gasket.

Something a bit funny came up today. As far as I can tell, this motor doesn't exist. I was looking at replacement manifolds and the parts book shows a different style manifold completely. Mine has a threaded female insert in the end cap that a pipe threads into. The book shows one with a flange that couples to an also completely different mixing elbow.

I classified my engine originally going off of pictures of the motors. There's a stamp in the block,

K3D
.979 L

So, its a 3 cylinder westerbeke with a displacement of .98 liters. According to their website, there were only three models that meet those specs, and none of then are my prime candidate. Wildly different in appearance in fact.

And the only motor that seems to match mine? (By the way, I'm basing this on the fact the alternator is on the starboard side.)

1.1 L.

I'm confounded

Old 16-12-2014, 17:10   #114
Marine Service Provider

Someone may have converted a generator motor to use as the auxiliary drive. Check that, Also go to Gallery Marine web site in Seattle, give them a call.

They are the best with Westerbeke.

Lloyd

Quote:
Tested the exhaust manifold, definitely leaking into the exhaust gas chamber. Gonna take it apart tomorrow and see if it's the manifold or just the gasket.

Something a bit funny came up today. As far as I can tell, this motor doesn't exist. I was looking at replacement manifolds and the parts book shows a different style manifold completely. Mine has a threaded female insert in the end cap that a pipe threads into. The book shows one with a flange that couples to an also completely different mixing elbow.

I classified my engine originally going off of pictures of the motors. There's a stamp in the block,

K3D
.979 L

So, its a 3 cylinder westerbeke with a displacement of .98 liters. According to their website, there were only three models that meet those specs, and none of then are my prime candidate. Wildly different in appearance in fact.

And the only motor that seems to match mine? (By the way, I'm basing this on the fact the alternator is on the starboard side.)

1.1 L.

I'm confounded

FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 04:12   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Someone may have...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to keep their number for future help. Got it figured out though, it's a second gen model of the 21, so all of the literature showed pictures of the first gen unit, ergo I never recognized it. Nice and easy now though!

Old 17-12-2014, 13:48   #116

Quick update: head tested a-ok, they're moving forward with the new seats. Manifold looks good upon initial inspection, another round of cleaning and testing tomorrow on that to verify

Tags
diesel, loa