Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34   #106
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
Alright guys, back in business. Took the head for a second opinion yesterday, that guy couldn't do it but directed me to a race car engine building shop, long story short, so long as it's not cracked I'm all set.

Which means I'm back to the exhaust manifold and cleaning everything else up. Moving forward!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
There ya go !!!

Keep us updated... It would be awesome if you got this thing back together in the $500 range...
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:58   #107
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
Alright guys, back in business. Took the head for a second opinion yesterday, that guy couldn't do it but directed me to a race car engine building shop, long story short, so long as it's not cracked I'm all set.

Which means I'm back to the exhaust manifold and cleaning everything else up. Moving forward!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I guess I don't get it.... did the race car shop have a magical way of fixing the deteriorated combustion chamber?
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40   #108
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess I don't get it.... did the race car shop have a magical way of fixing the deteriorated combustion chamber?

The combustion chamber is fine, it's the valve seats and exhaust port that were bad. I guess the first guy didn't trust his own work enough. Funny for a place called "cylinder head depot."

Race shop said need to clean up exhaust port, reseat exhaust valve, grind or reseat intake valve, and it's good to go. Dependent on all sorts of variables, of course


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51   #109
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,649
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Keep in mind that many race car engines only need to last for 1/4-mile.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:54   #110
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Keep in mind that many race car engines only need to last for 1/4-mile.

Kinda like how mine only needs to get me to the inlet. So, perfect!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:08   #111
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

I don't know how a "deteriorated" valve seat can be fixed unless it was just slightly pitted and can be ground out.
However, valve seats can be replaced entirely on a lot of engines.... anyway... hopefully you are on the road to success! did anyone check for leaks/cracks?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18   #112
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't know how a "deteriorated" valve seat can be fixed unless it was just slightly pitted and can be ground out.
However, valve seats can be replaced entirely on a lot of engines.... anyway... hopefully you are on the road to success! did anyone check for leaks/cracks?

Spot on. The one is getting replaced, he said he thinks the other can still be machined slightly and work in situ, otherwise that's getting replaced as well. They're pressure testing it before anything else gets done and well move forward from there


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 17:01   #113
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Diesel Struggles Under Load

Tested the exhaust manifold, definitely leaking into the exhaust gas chamber. Gonna take it apart tomorrow and see if it's the manifold or just the gasket.

Something a bit funny came up today. As far as I can tell, this motor doesn't exist. I was looking at replacement manifolds and the parts book shows a different style manifold completely. Mine has a threaded female insert in the end cap that a pipe threads into. The book shows one with a flange that couples to an also completely different mixing elbow.

I classified my engine originally going off of pictures of the motors. There's a stamp in the block,

K3D
.979 L

So, its a 3 cylinder westerbeke with a displacement of .98 liters. According to their website, there were only three models that meet those specs, and none of then are my prime candidate. Wildly different in appearance in fact.

And the only motor that seems to match mine? (By the way, I'm basing this on the fact the alternator is on the starboard side.)

1.1 L.

I'm confounded


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 18:10   #114
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,205
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Someone may have converted a generator motor to use as the auxiliary drive. Check that, Also go to Gallery Marine web site in Seattle, give them a call.

They are the best with Westerbeke.


Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
Tested the exhaust manifold, definitely leaking into the exhaust gas chamber. Gonna take it apart tomorrow and see if it's the manifold or just the gasket.

Something a bit funny came up today. As far as I can tell, this motor doesn't exist. I was looking at replacement manifolds and the parts book shows a different style manifold completely. Mine has a threaded female insert in the end cap that a pipe threads into. The book shows one with a flange that couples to an also completely different mixing elbow.

I classified my engine originally going off of pictures of the motors. There's a stamp in the block,

K3D
.979 L

So, its a 3 cylinder westerbeke with a displacement of .98 liters. According to their website, there were only three models that meet those specs, and none of then are my prime candidate. Wildly different in appearance in fact.

And the only motor that seems to match mine? (By the way, I'm basing this on the fact the alternator is on the starboard side.)

1.1 L.

I'm confounded


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 05:12   #115
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Someone may have...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to keep their number for future help. Got it figured out though, it's a second gen model of the 21, so all of the literature showed pictures of the first gen unit, ergo I never recognized it. Nice and easy now though!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:48   #116
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quick update: head tested a-ok, they're moving forward with the new seats. Manifold looks good upon initial inspection, another round of cleaning and testing tomorrow on that to verify


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, loa

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M12 black smoke under load bmiller Engines and Propulsion Systems 27 06-08-2012 16:43
Somaliland Struggles To Fight Piracy sneuman Cruising News & Events 5 15-04-2011 11:00
Formosa 41 Engine Revs Under Load Alan B Monohull Sailboats 3 18-11-2010 01:14
Engine Won't Idle Under Load Tiki 38' Propellers & Drive Systems 37 25-02-2010 01:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.