Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2014, 10:40   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Carefully inspect the mating surfaces of the head and block. You might want to get some Dynaflux or some like solution and check for cracks in the head and block. How do the valves look? Maybe want to send the head out to have it rebuilt. The machine shop will also be able to check for cracks in the head. Also check the block and head mating surfaces to ensure that they are true.

Is there any sign of coolant leaking into any of the cylinders? Any wet carbon buildup? Maybe post some pictures of the mating surfaces before and after cleaning.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Yes, get a good light to shine on those surfaces. Look very carefully for any discoloration or different surface appearance. Then when you clean all the surfaces preparing for reassembly... look super close for any hairline cracks etc. and why not have the head checked while it's off....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49   #77

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get some pictures up after work today when I set in on cleaning the block, I'm gonna take the head to my diesel guy and have him go over it, might as well as long as it's off already. Fingers crossed for minimal valve work. I'll check the cooling system as best I can while it's apart like this.

Also think I figured out the "overheating" issue, found a wire that got pulled off my thermostat assembly somehow, doh....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 10:55   #78

Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
Westerbeke marinise engines and somewhere along the line you'll discover what the base motor is and be able to source direct for cheaper genuine spares.
I completely forgot about this, I know it's a Mitsubishi block from previous investigations, I'll have to double check my numbers. Would I be right in thinking that the two motors are basically the same with the exception of the raw water system? (Including heat exchanger, etc)

I'm thinking I can order the gaskets I need all for the base motor: head, exhaust, and thermostat

Old 08-12-2014, 16:58   #79

No real work done today, gave a little more inspection though and noticed some real bad pitting on my cylinder three valve seat. I don't feel like pulling everything apart again, but I believe the piston had some similar, but less severe pitting on the same cylinder

Pic of cyl 3 valve seat and 2 for comparison Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418083081.416986.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	93251
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418083114.849355.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	93252

Old 08-12-2014, 17:03   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Valve "seat" is the area under the tapered surface of the valve.
If those are really pits.. and not carbon build up you show... on the Combustion Chamber of the head that's pretty bad. Hopefully just carbon.
Also.. are my eyes deceiving me.... one valve set looks unequal in size but the other looks equal in size! HUH? Maybe this has previously been "saved" /repaired...?
Never mind... I think it's just an optical delusion... haha.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 18:27   #81
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
After 4 months of screwing around, you say the engine is now worse than when you started. Have you thought of hiring a diesel mechanic?
And the poor guy has to fix everything that was screwed up and then find the original problem.

Hiring a mechanic is often cheaper than replacing part after part until the problem goes away.
Old 08-12-2014, 18:32   #82
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
........... I respect those people who try to figure out problems by themselves instead of just throwing money at someone else ..
Yes but the first rule of repairing things is to troubleshoot the problem. In simple terms, think of what might cause the problem and make some tests, not just to start replacing expensive parts or getting unrelated systems out of adjustment.

He has been randomly replacing and adjusting everything from the fuel system to the prop. Now he has a pile of parts when the original problem may have been (and may still be) external to the engine.
Old 09-12-2014, 00:05   #83

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Most marine gasket sets cannot be replaced by standard duty. At the very least the head gasket is usually not compatible.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:23   #84

I'm gonna get on the horn and try and figure out some specs for the gasket, the picture at least looks the dead same

Old 09-12-2014, 05:32   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
No real work done today, gave a little more inspection though and noticed some real bad pitting on my cylinder three valve seat. I don't feel like pulling everything apart again, but I believe the piston had some similar, but less severe pitting on the same cylinder

Pic of cyl 3 valve seat and 2 for comparison Attachment 93251
Attachment 93252

That looks like something went through the engine, some small part, you'll know when the shop cleans it.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:18   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post

Pic of cyl 3 valve seat and 2 for comparison Attachment 93251
Attachment 93252

That my friend is severe water erosion... #3 has been leaking for a bit... Post some pics of the gasket/head and deck around hole #3 so maybe one of us can see if the water got into the hole that way... Time to check the head for sure... We'll need to do some thorough block inspecting if the head or gasket don't appear to be the culprit... If the valve seats still have enough head meat around them to dissipate the heat, you'll be OK. If not, the shop can fix this...

The good news is you know WHY you have a loss of power, smoke, and overheat... Now we need to figure out the HOW...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:59   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That my friend is severe water erosion... #3 has been leaking for a bit... Post some pics of the gasket/head and deck around hole #3 so maybe one of us can see if the water got into the hole that way... Time to check the head for sure... We'll need to do some thorough block inspecting if the head or gasket don't appear to be the culprit... If the valve seats still have enough head meat around them to dissipate the heat, you'll be OK. If not, the shop can fix this...

The good news is you know WHY you have a loss of power, smoke, and overheat... Now we need to figure out the HOW...
I had wondered that, but thought surely the cylinder bore would be so rusted and polished out that he would have little compression, from what I've seen before water in a cylinder cleans it nearly perfectly, steam cleans it I guess.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:31   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had wondered that, but thought surely the cylinder bore would be so rusted and polished out that he would have little compression, from what I've seen before water in a cylinder cleans it nearly perfectly, steam cleans it I guess.
I know right???

Just about every time I've taken apart a gas engine with a blown hole... It's like...

"Why can't you leak in every hole so they are all nice and pretty?"

My take is with gas it's a low flash solvent and water steam thing... With diesel, I think it's just too dirty...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:42   #89

Here's a picture of the head, I won't be able to get one of the gasket and block until I get home later, nothing looks too obviously wrong, except it appears to have worn out between cylinders 1 and 2. Or it just got left on the deckClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418139752.814067.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	93274

Also, if the valve seat is the area just underneath the valve, what's the name for that whole cylindrical inset?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:51   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking at the new picture, it could be just a heavy carbon layer.

Does it scrape off? Don't scratch the head, but see if it just scrapes off.

Tags
diesel, loa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: