Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54   #31

Re: Diesel Struggles Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
When you had the transmission uncoupled, how hard was it to turn the prop shaft?
Was there a certain spot that felt like it was binding? The shaft should turn easily all the way around. Do you have a packing-type stuffing box? Is it adjusted correctly?

I didn't check, but it was spinning easily by hand(wrench) when it was coupled. I didn't have the time to do anything but run it once and see what happened. It's adjusted fine, if anything a tad too loose. I can always run it though and check the temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16   #32

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Make sure that the electric fuel pump is working properly and that the filter there is clean. My W27 has a small 12 v pump with integral filter. I would think that an excessive load ( fouled prop, bound shaft etc ) would cause an excess of black smoke. If you don't have any smoke clues ( black or white or blue ) I would suspect fuel starvation.

Good luck keep us posted!
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Make sure that the electric fuel pump is working properly and that the filter there is clean. My W27 has a small 12 v pump with integral filter. I would think that an excessive load ( fouled prop, bound shaft etc ) would cause an excess of black smoke. If you don't have any smoke clues ( black or white or blue ) I would suspect fuel starvation.

Good luck keep us posted!

Mine is a sealed unit so I have no way to check it other than replace it. Chances are, it needs it anyways even if it's not the problem here. I have white smoke in startup that gradually lessens, but comes back if I get on the throttle hard, especially in gear. Never blue or black though, and no fuel or oil in exhaust water

Old 12-09-2014, 16:25   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by strqaightv8 View Post
Mine is a sealed unit so I have no way to check it other than replace it. Chances are, it needs it anyways even if it's not the problem here. I have white smoke in startup that gradually lessens, but comes back if I get on the throttle hard, especially in gear. Never blue or black though, and no fuel or oil in exhaust water

White smoke is coolant and would a head gasket issue. light grey smoke would be unburnt fuel, caused by dirty injectors, bad IP, or bad rings. If it starts easy, it's not generally rings.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 16:30   #35

It's quite possible it's a light gray, it's hard to place it. Being colorblind doesn't help either

Old 20-09-2014, 09:50   #36

Ok y'all, I'm back. Gave the prop a spin and it turns freely, no noticeable difference in any particular spot. Hooked the shaft back up, now I'm wrestling with the propeller, I figure if I can take it off and the boat works fine, it's the prop. If it doesn't work, it's the shaft. Maybe.

Old 22-09-2014, 07:00   #37
Marine Service Provider

How rough was the water last time you were out? Maybe water or crud was stirred from the tank bottom, made it past the filters and are lurking around til you rev up. Do you have a filter bowl valve you can open to drain and check or shine a flashlight thru it? Has the injector pump been cleaned or drained, maybe it is self cleaning or has a low spot for gunk to settle?
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 07:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLawrence View Post
How rough was the water last time you were out? Maybe water or crud was stirred from the tank bottom, made it past the filters and are lurking around til you rev up. Do you have a filter bowl valve you can open to drain and check or shine a flashlight thru it? Has the injector pump been cleaned or drained, maybe it is self cleaning or has a low spot for gunk to settle?

Water was no rougher than usual, fairly calm seas. I drained the filter then replaced it with no effect. I haven't touched the injector pump yet, or the governor, those are both next on the list.

Haven't messed with the prop anymore, got myself a gear puller, and wouldn't you know it, the bolt is too long to fit between the shaft and the rudder. So I'm searching for another puller with a smaller one. Also, my AC went out and had to be messed with. Good fun

Old 22-09-2014, 07:37   #39

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Water was no rougher than usual, fairly calm seas. I drained the filter then replaced it with no effect. I haven't touched the injector pump yet, or the governor, those are both next on the list.

Haven't messed with the prop anymore, got myself a gear puller, and wouldn't you know it, the bolt is too long to fit between the shaft and the rudder. So I'm searching for another puller with a smaller one. Also, my AC went out and had to be messed with. Good fun

I'm assuming you have a folding or feathering prop? Do you have a fixed blade you can get your hands on to make a test run with?

My concern is the engine problem may be load related. if you have no load on the end of the shaft the problem may disappear leaving you to think it's the prop when in reality it only occurs when there is an actual load and not just reving.
Old 22-09-2014, 07:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I'm assuming you have a folding or feathering prop? Do you have a fixed blade you can get your hands on to make a test run with?

My concern is the engine problem may be load related. if you have no load on the end of the shaft the problem may disappear leaving you to think it's the prop when in reality it only occurs when there is an actual load and not just reving.

It's a fixed blade, and it all appears to be fine, all I'm trying to verify by pulling it is that it's not the shaft, if that makes sense. If it still has the problem, it's the shaft. if it's all fine, then it's either the prop or something further back the line

Old 22-09-2014, 07:48   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

Oh ok. Sorry I was missing that part of the equation. Let us know how this test turns out. At least you are covering all of your bases and if this passes then you can confidently start your progress on the engine itself.
Old 22-09-2014, 07:53   #42

That's the plan. At this point all of the "obvious" stuff has been ruled out, now it's just trial and error. I'll be back cranking on her after work today, I'll let y'all know what happens

Old 26-09-2014, 07:45   #43

Update time. The gear puller I rented had a bolt too long to fit between the shaft and the rudder. After searching for a smaller bolt, then another set from a different shop, it doesn't appear to exist in my are. So before I drive all over the state (or buy the $250 worst marine one) I'm back on the fuel system. Got my rails and fuel lines all removed yesterday, gonna take the injectors out and soak em in paint thinner overnight, and tear apart my lift pump. Injector pump and governor will have to wait until after the weekend, the boat shows coming into town soon and I'm getting forced off my dock, so I need to be able to at least limp a mile to my new slip

Old 26-09-2014, 08:24   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Update time. The gear puller I rented had a bolt too long to fit between the shaft and the rudder. After searching for a smaller bolt, then another set from a different shop, it doesn't appear to exist in my are. So before I drive all over the state (or buy the $250 worst marine one) I'm back on the fuel system. Got my rails and fuel lines all removed yesterday, gonna take the injectors out and soak em in paint thinner overnight, and tear apart my lift pump. Injector pump and governor will have to wait until after the weekend, the boat shows coming into town soon and I'm getting forced off my dock, so I need to be able to at least limp a mile to my new slip

Awful ambitious knowing you need to limp in a few days!
You don't double down on soft 7's do you???

Still not convinced it isn't a return line problem..

We'll gett'r figgerd out man...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 08:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Awful ambitious knowing you need to limp in a few days!
You don't double down on soft 7's do you???

Still not convinced it isn't a return line problem..

We'll gett'r figgerd out man...

I'm more of a craps guy myself...

I'm gonna check the return line tomorrow when it all gets put back together, I've got some extra hose, gonna bypass all my filters on the way and and hook directly to the lift pump, and directly out of the injector pump overflow on the backside

Tags
diesel, loa