Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2008, 08:30   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Diesel injector pump

I just found out that the previous owner of our boat had never changed out the oil in our diesel injector pump(Ford Lehman 80hp).
We bought her last year and are going through a refit in Port Townsend. Being new to the diesel world, I didn't know either until I took a diesel class last week. When I drained her--supposed to hold 12 ounces, about 24 came out. Lots of black and the consistancy of diesel fuel with the same odor.
I refilled it with 30wt. oil and the engine started right up with no problems. I've put abut 120 hours on her since we bought her last year with never a problem on the engine.
Anyone have any idea what problems I'm looking at in the future because of this? It is recommended that the oil be changed after every 50 hours and there has to be at least 2000+ hours and 12 years of use.
I plan to change it every 10 hours for the next few times and see what comes out.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 10:52   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
It might be a nagging concern for you but I'll guarantee that you don't need to worry about it if your engine runs fine. My experience and opinion is that if your diesel starts and runs fine don't try to fix it. As you know fuel injection pumps have very close tolerances and each cylinder matches each pump very closely. If it is getting enough fuel to the injectors then it is probably still within tolerances. Unfortunately there might be some extra wear in your pump and you may want to shop around for a rebuilt at one point or another but while it is running well don't mess with it. My last rebuild on the pump cost me $850. At your next change see how much diesel fuel is in the mix and you can tell if there might be some bleed by.
Caveat - I am not an expert.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 12:28   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don't know if you posted twice or my response did not get posted. But we have the same engine and the injector pump adds fuel if you do not change outside the 50 hours. There is not much sense in changing every 10 hours since this is not going to tell you much. If it is working fine wait for the 50 hours and change again unless you notice a problem before then. If you still have twice as much in the pump then it is time for a re-build. A little extra is normal. That is why you change it in 50 hours so the oil is not too diluted. Any questions on that engine can be answered by American Diesel at American Diesel Corporation and they are happy to answer. Great engine, good luck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, injector pump