Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 20:43   #1
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Diesel Fuel

I was surprised the other day to discover that at least locally, the Boat US towboats will bring gasoline out to a boat, but not diesel.

Does anyone know why this is so? Would it be unsafe to carry a jerrycan of diesel fuel onboard?
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:53   #2
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Diesel fuel

Diesel fuel is much safer than gasoline. Perhaps the towboats don't carry diesel because diesel-engined boats are better captained and don't run out of fuel.
__________________

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:56   #3
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Diesel fuel is much safer than gasoline. Perhaps the towboats don't carry diesel because diesel-engined boats are better captained and don't run out of fuel.

Uh-huh ...
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 21:28   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bundaberg, Australia
Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Posts: 173
Re: Diesel fuel

Maybe its the technical aspects.

Run out of petrol - Fill tank up and start engine again. Drive off.
Run out of diesel - Fill tank up Bleed fuel system, deal with owners who may have zero idea what this involves etc.
__________________
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 21:36   #5
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Diesel fuel

I turn this valve (and a couple of others) and let the fuel-polishing pump prime the engine.

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 22:21   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Maybe its the technical aspects.

Run out of petrol - Fill tank up and start engine again. Drive off.
Run out of diesel - Fill tank up Bleed fuel system, deal with owners who may have zero idea what this involves etc.
Then they would have to start carrying tools too.
I'm sure this is the case. They are not mechanics or want to be. They get paid for towing or assistance, not repairs/maintenance.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 22:41   #7
Registered User
 
Ocean Roads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cape Coral-Fort Myers Beach, FL
Boat: Westsail 28
Posts: 277
Images: 9
Re: Diesel fuel

As a current TowBoatUS Captain in Fort Myers Beach, FL I can tell you that as far as my fleet goes, our diesel boats carry 10 gal of gas and 10 gal of diesel, but our gas boats only carry 10 gal of gas.

I think in all the tows/jobs I have done over the years, I have brought diesel to a boat less then five times. In my diesel tow boat I cycle the 10 gal of diesel into my main tank every month so it does not go bad.

When you run out of diesel you have to prime your system again, but unless you are a sailboat with a relatively small tank, 10 gal of diesel will not do much in a power boat.

Every franchise does things a little different.
__________________
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15   #8
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
As a current TowBoatUS Captain in Fort Myers Beach, FL I can tell you that as far as my fleet goes, our diesel boats carry 10 gal of gas and 10 gal of diesel, but our gas boats only carry 10 gal of gas.

I think in all the tows/jobs I have done over the years, I have brought diesel to a boat less then five times. In my diesel tow boat I cycle the 10 gal of diesel into my main tank every month so it does not go bad.

When you run out of diesel you have to prime your system again, but unless you are a sailboat with a relatively small tank, 10 gal of diesel will not do much in a power boat.

Every franchise does things a little different.

Thank you for all the answers. They made sense.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Bladder for an Interim Diesel Tank Patrick_DeepPlaya Engines and Propulsion Systems 20 06-02-2014 14:22
Diesel Fuel in Panama? EvermanJ Pacific & South China Sea 2 27-02-2012 15:00
Diesel Fuel in Crankcase Oil casual Engines and Propulsion Systems 23 01-12-2011 15:30
Diesel Fuel Tanks Capt Allan Engines and Propulsion Systems 28 08-11-2011 05:39
For Sale: Yanmar 4230-000 Diesel Fuel Filter and Groco Sea Strainer SA-750 New Bronze One-Inch captsam54 Classifieds Archive 0 05-10-2011 09:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.