Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 20:41   #16

Re: Diesel Engine Oil Help

Here is my opinion on oil
multi viscosity oils are good in cold climates
straight weight oils are better in temperate climates, the more it uses the higher the weight 30-40
change your oil and you don't need synthetic
fact! its all made from the same crude oil
is synthetic refined more,yes ! will it last longer ? why test that?
its rare to find an engine failure due to oil failure! the lack of, yes many !
back in the day oils would (go bad ) standards are much better now
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 01:19   #17
cruiser

Digging through a compartment under a berth today, you'll never guess what I found? A five liter jug of Shell Rimula R4 15w 40, that I must have purchased last year in Spain when I was looking ahead. I'd forgotten all about it, then stumbled on it while looking for a work safety harness to be used buffing the hull.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 02:00   #18

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Digging through a compartment under a berth today, you'll never guess what I found? A five liter jug of Shell Rimula R4 15w 40, that I must have purchased last year in Spain when I was looking ahead. I'd forgotten all about it, then stumbled on it while looking for a work safety harness to be used buffing the hull.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Ken

Use the Shell. It's the one I look for. Don't use the synthetic blend. A good explanation is here:

Oil for yacht engines

Not mentioned in that article is the fact that mineral oil is better than synthetic oil at dissolving and removing combustion by-products. It looks dirtier after use and that's a good thing.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:10   #19

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

I have a similar problem with two diesel engines driving an old catamaran. Mitsubishi/Vetus 16hp (M2.06) recommend Semi synthetic lube oil whilst the other manufacturer, Kubota/Beta 20hp recommend normal mineral oil. It is getting increasingly difficult in parts of NW Europe to source decent mineral oil from the same manufacturer which one can stick with over a number of years.

It would be nice to just carry one spare can around for emergency and to be able to buy the same brand for both engines when changing the oil. A friend recommends changing both to Semi synthetic but Kubota think this might cause a problem if the engine is kept idling for any length of time - presumably, all diesels are better working under load/higher revs anyway?

Naturally, it would be nice not to have to go for the more expensive option if straight mineral oil would suffice for both engines. But what would be the advantages, if any, should I go for the Semi synthetic oil for both engines? Would ordinary mineral oil be a problem with the other engine if I go for that option for both engines?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks, John
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:26   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would suggest that you don't need an oil "for diesels".
That's not good enough!
You have a turbocharged engine, and usually an engine manufacturer will require something more than just a "diesel" rating, in order to properly lubricate the turbine, which may be running at well more than three or four times the maximum rpm of the engine. I don't know which of those oils are rated for use with turbocharged engines, or what Yanmar specifics, but would strongly suggest looking into that aspect.

As to synthetic or not...there are arguments to be made both ways but unless there is a specific problem with synthetics and YOUR specific engine, they tend to be the result of better quality control and to have higher additive loads, as the premium product in any lineup. I'm a firm believer in synthetics, unless there's some problem (i.e. the engine consumes a lot of oil or the seals are incompatible) with a specific engine. I've seen the way synthetics simply shrug off degradation and tarring from heat, and it impresses me.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:19   #21

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

I have a 75 hp Yanmar turbo diesel and a VW TDI turbo diesel and a Audi bi turbo gas engine. Both auto companies recommend synthetic oil only because of the turbos. I use synthetic in the Yanmar also, never use oil and engine always runs great. Ran it for 2000 miles continuously going from the Virgins to Connecticut (no wind - what's new?) and oil still clear.
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:37   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"a VW TDI turbo diesel and a Audi bi turbo gas engine. Both auto companies recommend synthetic oil only "
Read the manuals again! VW/Audi in fact have their own ratings for "turbo" oil and they do NOT recommend all synthetics. SAE/API ratings aren't enough, they have their own "approved" list for warranty purposes. Apparently even some of the synthetics, and some of the additives, don't cut the mustard for turbine use. Or so VW/Audi claim.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 10:05   #23

In my truck engines which were/are turbos and my non turbo tractor engine which is a Yanmar in a JD tractor, I use oil speced per the manual with a dose of common sense. My truck is old enough so that the manual does not mention synthetic and I do use 5w40 or 0w40 oil synthetic and semi synthetic in that engine that meets or exceeds the manual.

Over the years I have used Shell, JD, and Delo oils in my truck and tractor diesels. I do NOT change oil per the manual but based on UOA(used oil analysis) and for years I have been throwing away perfectly good oil with 12-14,000 miles on it even though the manual says to change at 5,000 miles. This is with JD 0w40 or Shell 5w40 oils not regular dino 15w40 oil. The regular dino oil might perform the same mileage wise but I have not done the UOA to know.

JD oil has gotten expensive so I might go back to Shell oil depending on price.

Use an oil the meets the specifications in the engine manual. Brand really does not matter as long as the oil meets the specification and is changed per the manual.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:31   #24

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

Manuals are only good the day they are printed. I have both cars serviced at VW/Audi dealerships and the update from VW and Audi say "Use synthetic oil only." It is not necessarily for the engine, it is for the turbos. In fact, my daughter's 15 A4 states synthetic oil only.
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, oil