Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 12:04   #1

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Diesel Day Tank

After a year of ownership, my boat is finally in the water. While getting things ready, I motored around the marina from the boat yard dock to the fuel dock to the slip. While in the slip, I discovered a slow leak from around the sides of the fuel tank.

I told the yard and they drained the fuel tank. So to keep from hauling the boat and going through the trouble of replacing the tank, I'm looking at putting together a day tank that will work with the diesel inboard (Yanmar 2GM).

I want to know if something like this would work:
3 Gallon Fuel Tank w/Gauge : Attwood Marine

I believe because I have a diesel that I would need to add a fitting to the tank for fuel return and another one for venting, although venting is possible from the cap.

I do have a 5gal can, but I'm thinking that I would still need to add fittings for fuel return and venting, in addition to a feed line to the engine.

I'm trying to keep it small so I can still use my boat for this year and next year that will fit in the lazarette. I'm already planning to haul out next fall for a work related move which I'll do a long list of refit projects the following few years.

Am I right in how I'm thinking about this? Anyone know of other sources for small day tanks, fittings? Other suggestions or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 13:01   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Diesel Day Tank

West Marine..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 13:09   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

Or there's this, with many others like it

4 Gallon RCI Fuel Cell Gas Tank Aluminum Heavy Duty Street Racing New RCI 2040A | eBay
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:18   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Would work, has worked!
While I was sorting out my fuel line problems (elusive air leak), a number of years ago, I installed a similiar day tank on my Yanmar 3GM. Was a regular outboard motor tank with vent in cap. Thinking it was run of the mill Tempo tank. Connected to primary Racor filter. Worked great for several years, although return still fed into main tank and I used to refill day tank from main tank.
Looks like cap is made to vent leaving only return to deal with.
How much fuel do use use annually? Use your 5 gallon can(or 2)to refuel day tank. I cruised several-several hundred mile
round trips with above set up.
Sounds like you put some work into your boat and deserve
some sailing time. Should be a trip to West Marine and a easy
afternoon. Secure tank well.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:40   #5

It'll work or many like it. You can also get ones (at west marine etc) that are rated to be installed in a boat... but look like that red material. You dont need much with your usage, but I would go 5-10 so it's not going to be a pain. How buried is your tank? Another option is to cut the top off the tank if you can get to it and put the biggest plastic tank that will fit inside the old tank....
This is such a common thing and has been mentioned so many times on this forum... yet we all hope "not my boat". It seems to happen a lot.... really doesnt matter if it's an Oyster or a Hunter.... a lot of the stuff that fails is pretty much the same....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:06   #6

I went ahead and ordered a 3gal. I don't think I'll need much as it doesn't take long to get out of the marina into the lake. I can always have the 5gal on standby to refill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How buried is your tank?
The tank on a Nor'sea 27 is buried in the keel area right under the engine. It's said by other owners that a tank replacement is the hardest job to do on an NS27 as it requires removal of the engine and very likely, part of the floor.

Hopefully the attached photo will give you an idea of its placement. Where the hoses are is the front of the tank, goes under the engine all the way to the stuffing box. So, about 6 ft long (I haven't measured it) and about 2 feet deep shaped like the keel.

Hopefully this will allow me to enjoy some sailing time before doing some major work on my refit project list. I put a rush order on the items and will work on it this weekend and see how it goes. I'll post a follow up on this thread whether it's successful or not, along with a post on my blog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0285[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	63198  
Old 25-06-2013, 19:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Worked great for several years, although return still fed into main tank and I used to refill day tank from main tank.
I don't want to feed back into the main tank since it seems I have a leak and I was told by the boat yard that they drained it for me to keep it safe (from being discharged overboard).

I'll still have to clean up the bilge.

It'll be an interesting weekend.
Old 25-06-2013, 19:39   #8

Boat: Pearson 424

Spent last summer using a 5 gal. jerry jug strapped into the lazarette until we could get our tank replaced. Used the same jugs that I used to get a boat from Atlantic City to Oriental NC previously that had a bad fuel problem. Just fed the in and out hoses through the pouring spout. This time I made it fancy, drilled holes through the cap and fitted brass hose fittings with a short return hose and a longer pickup hose inside. Strapped it in place so I wouldn't shift and went sailing. Never spilled a drop.
Dalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 06:19   #9

I received a 3 gal tank. It's a sturdy little thing. Unlike most jerry cans I've seen, the sides on this doesn't give at all.

I drilled a hole and installed a brass fitting for the return line and waiting for a quick disconnect that will go on the connector to the left for the feed line.

I'll work on this project this weekend and hope it goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0287[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	63280  
Old 30-06-2013, 21:11   #10

I got the new tank installed and inline with the engine. I was able to move it to my slip. So far, it's working pretty good. I also cleaned up corrosion from the water pump">raw water pump during the weekend too.

Rhapsody: Weekend Work
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11   #11

If you pull your original tank, (It's aluminium? looks greyish in your pic) then take it to a rotational moulding company that makes fuel tanks, some of them can pour the plastic base into the tank and plug the filler and openings, then pop it in the moulder cradle and run it into an autoclave. You end up with a fuel grade plastic liner lining the original tank.

Not all places do, but I know of it being done here in NZ by at least one company.

then you can just trim the openings and re-install your tank.
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05   #12

or if the leaks are on the bottom as they often are you can just have a new bottom welded on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel