Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 18:41   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Diesel availability on west coast of Vancouver Island

I just finished my most ambitious excursion so far. Not much in the overall scheme of things but for me, 300 km is a huge step. Unfortunately I seem to have run into a little snag - all the harbours past Victoria seem to have no diesel available. Sooke has diesel but I can't get to it because of my 6 ft draft. Port Renfrew has no diesel and looking at Active Captain there is no diesel at Tofino or Ucluelet which are the next 'major' harbours going north.
Sometimes the winds just do not cooperate and motoring is the only way to go. How do people explore Barkley Sound or even further north given that their fuel supply is probably not enough to motor back down to Victoria ?
I was under the impression that wherever there is a fishing fleet, there is a source for diesel .... but apparently this is not so

I hold 95 litres of diesel, enough to get me to Barkley sound but not enough to bring me back
I hate to think what the west side of the island is like.
People circumnavigate Vancouver Island but how do they deal with the lack of fuel?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 18:50   #2

Boat: C&C 25
Re: Diesel availability on west coast of Vancouver Island

There is a fuel dock in Ucluelet that has diesel for sure.
RunningLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 18:51   #3

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

typically sailboats go north through johnstone strait past port hardy and down the back side to take advantage of summer northwesterlies.
fuel and water availability this route is plentiful i was just up port hardy this june. there is fuel in winter harbor and looks like in tofino and ucluelet not sure about bamfield.
Tofino Gas Station / Fuel Dock Tofino, BC - TOFINO-UCLUELET.COM
Ucluelet Gas Stations / Fuel Dock Ucluelet, BC - TOFINO-UCLUELET.COM
Old 23-08-2013, 18:52   #4

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

looks like bamfield (barclay sound) has marine fuel as well
Local Services | Bamfield Community School Association
Old 23-08-2013, 19:44   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Bamfield used to have fuel (diesel) next to where the Princess Patricia used to come in. I recall fuelling up in Tofino as well but that was in the 60's and 70's. Most every logging camp on the west coast used to have a diesel tank and they would sell it to you in 5 gallon amounts but you had to pack the gerry cans to the tank and back.
The native settlement in Friendly Cove had a diesel generator for the village and if you knew the Chief there or his family, they would trade for fuel. Fuel came from the government so it was no skin off their backside to sell or trade it... really fine folks I might add. Many good memories of that part of the country. When they had manned lighthouses, all had diesel genny's to keep the lights working but I'm goin' back to the fifties now. Jeez I'm gettin' old! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 19:48   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I just finished my most ambitious excursion so far. Not much in the overall scheme of things but for me, 300 km is a huge step. Unfortunately I seem to have run into a little snag - all the harbours past Victoria seem to have no diesel available. Sooke has diesel but I can't get to it because of my 6 ft draft. Port Renfrew has no diesel and looking at Active Captain there is no diesel at Tofino or Ucluelet which are the next 'major' harbours going north.
Sometimes the winds just do not cooperate and motoring is the only way to go. How do people explore Barkley Sound or even further north given that their fuel supply is probably not enough to motor back down to Victoria ?
I was under the impression that wherever there is a fishing fleet, there is a source for diesel .... but apparently this is not so

I hold 95 litres of diesel, enough to get me to Barkley sound but not enough to bring me back
I hate to think what the west side of the island is like.
People circumnavigate Vancouver Island but how do they deal with the lack of fuel?
Active Captain is confused. There is fuel, from memory, in Bamfield, Ucluelet, Tofino, Winter Harbor, and I really can't remember about Clayquot or Kyoquot. And you should be able to get into Sooke. I can with 7 1/2' draft, and my Cape George drew 6' and I recall getting some fuel there. Once you get to the east side of the island, there is lots of fuel.
Old 23-08-2013, 20:16   #7
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear that Tofino/Ucluelet have diesel available.
I am not sure about the Sooke basin - I suppose if you are real careful to only attempt it at high high tide. I have had my share (and then some) of groundings so I don't think I will try it.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:41   #8

There is also diesel in Bamfield: Diesel fuel is now available again in Bamfield. The old Kingfisher fuel dock remains closed but Harbourside Lodge (1-250-728-3330 - requests@harbourside.com) is now supplying diesel.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:46   #9

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear that Tofino/Ucluelet have diesel available.
I am not sure about the Sooke basin - I suppose if you are real careful to only attempt it at high high tide. I have had my share (and then some) of groundings so I don't think I will try it.
The range markers will keep you out of trouble, and if you go in at something other than low tide, you'd be fine.
Old 24-08-2013, 06:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The range markers will keep you out of trouble, and if you go in at something other than low tide, you'd be fine.
There are no range marks to get into the back basin where the fuel is located.

It is well marked, but I would only go in and out around high tide.

I have been around the Island 12 times. On the east side, no problems. On the west side I have refueled at Winter Harbour, and Ucluelet. I have also been into the fuel dock at Sooke.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, west coast