Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 12:40   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Dickenson Cook Stoves

I have no experience with these heaters, however, my brother had oil furnaces in 2 homes. He had to use a heater tape in both houses on the fuel line to keep his furnaces running properly. It seems that although several people have talked about their fuel source/lines being in a heated environment you have not experimented with that idea, even though your stove appears to work better in warmer temps.

Heating Tapes
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 15:56   #92

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have no experience with these heaters, however, my brother had oil furnaces in 2 homes. He had to use a heater tape in both houses on the fuel line to keep his furnaces running properly. It seems that although several people have talked about their fuel source/lines being in a heated environment you have not experimented with that idea, even though your stove appears to work better in warmer temps.

Heating Tapes
One of the oft touted reasons for using this kind of stove or heater is that it requires no power. If you're going to use power anyway then something like a Webasto is less work.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 16:14   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
One of the oft touted reasons for using this kind of stove or heater is that it requires no power. If you're going to use power anyway then something like a Webasto is less work.
I agree. I was only showing him what someone else had to do. Also a reminder that others who have posted have their fuel supply in a heated space.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:00   #94

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Don't take this personally but I'm going to play devils advocate...

You bought a "new" 40 year old stove that was recalled by the original Dickenson company a few years after it was made? You've done some good experimenting with different home made superheaters ect. But did you ever order and buy the ones made by the current company? The width, size, shape, and thickness gauge are all going to have effects on heat retention and ulitmately the burn. I'd try buying all the current baffles the new company recommends for the burners. They've probably gone through all the testing to make it work it's best.

It also sounds like they also strongly recommend the dampner which I'd have been more than happy to try after cleaning the cabin just once.

I'd be curious as to why the originals were recalled and what is dangerous about them? Do they leak exhaust gasses (smells and ache eyes), or have air leaks into the combustion chambe not allowing good burns? Or if running properly will the burner top get too hot for the aluminum and will it then melt or bet distourted?

I don't think you should be so quick write off all "new" dickenson heaters and stoves because you're trying to make something work that the original company gave up on, recalled, and presumably sent their customers a different unit. I wouldn't expect any really helpful support from the company that didn't make, test for a solutions, and ultimately recall the product. If it's been recalled there is probably a good chance it's dangerous and there may be some liability in helping you get a recalled product working.

Say they tell you to do x and y, and you do it. Then the issue, why it was recalled, pops up fills the cabin with CO2ect and kills you. Now they told you how to fix it so they were saying it was safe now they are liable, and out of business...

I know you probably paid a pretty good price for the unit, but it doesn't seem the you're at all concerned with why they were recalled. I'm cheap too, I've got an old shipmate heater that I cut new leather seals for the pump from an old pair of shoes (now thats cheap!). I buy second hand as often as I can, but sometimes you get burned. You've got every right to be peeved at whomever sold it to you I didn't see any mention of do you have the proper amount of head (height about the burner) on the supply tank?That being said I hope you can get it running reliably, and kudos to all who've offered up suggestions. Don't forget a good carbon monoxide detector in the cabin as a part of any combustion heater install.

Vino, you're a far more patient man than I good luck!
Old 25-04-2014, 18:09   #95

Boat: CT-41

appick,

According to the current Dickenson the aluminum top stoves were not recalled.
The only statement to that having happened came from Lloyd. He may be correct, but no one else has stated that to be fact and the current Dickenson claimed it is not correct.

After talking with Don Parry and Michelle Parry from the current Dickenson company, I have no reason to believe they know anything at all about the stoves they produce. The most convincing technical thing I was told by Michelle, is that they got drawings from the 1950s of the burners which they bought at auction when the old Dickenson company went bankrupt in 1984.

It appears that the original Dickinson company has been gone since before my stove was manufactured, and the current "Dickenson" company is owned by a sheet metal company owned by the Parry family. Records show they are a 3-5 million dollar per year company that produces HVAC products, and the Dickenson line is but one of their revenue stream.

I personally have no confidence in the Parry family and found no indication that they know or care anything about the stoves they produce. I will not do business with them. That, of course is just me. There are plenty of people to keep them in the money, and I will figure out how to modify the stove I have or throw it out.

If others find something of value in my experience, that is good. If not, anyone is welcome to ignore it. I know many people like these stoves and I will learn more about them as time goes on, but at the moment, it is warm enough not to use it and I have other things to get done on the boat.

thanks for your comments.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote