Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 07:05   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Dealing with Foley Engines

The input shaft of my hurth transmission froze up requiring a quick swap out prior to a big weekend (I do not have the tools a likly the skills to rebuild)
Everything when well as it is a surprisingly easy process. I have a universal model 50 with a hurth HBW 10.
My issue is the that I was subjected to a lot of games such a bait and switch and surprise charges. Is this typical from Foley?
Examples:
I called to get a quote and was required to give my CC # before they would give me a complete quote.
I was told and quoted a rebuild and when I called again to order they said they had only new for $500 more.
I placed an order but was required to confirm the invoice that now included a core charge ($500) and a incoming freight (from the factory to Foley) charge of $90.
They would not use my UPS # so they had to pay their inflated shipping charge $400.
I was on the road heading to the boat at the time and had committed to getting the transmission shipped next day from Foley. I read the invoice the best I could using my cell phone on the side of the road and decided I had no choice at that time.
I was in a rush and should have done a better job pinning these guys down (clearly my fault) but I have not experienced this with other companies in the marine industry.
All worked out , put I would never deal with Foley again. Is this typical of these guys?
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 07:17   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Dealing with Foley Engines

When I called Foley about replacing my transmission the person on other end was rude,and hung up!I ordered through Marinepartsexpress,in Maine.Brand new Hurth,shipped to Canada for less than $1100.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 07:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have not heard good things about Foley on this forum. A google custom search might turn up some pertinent info. Although to late for the PO this may help others in the future.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 07:54   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I am surprised anybody still deals with this sociopath.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 08:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
The input shaft of my hurth transmission froze up requiring a quick swap out prior to a big weekend (I do not have the tools a likly the skills to rebuild)
Everything when well as it is a surprisingly easy process. I have a universal model 50 with a hurth HBW 10.
My issue is the that I was subjected to a lot of games such a bait and switch and surprise charges. Is this typical from Foley?
Examples:
I called to get a quote and was required to give my CC # before they would give me a complete quote.
I was told and quoted a rebuild and when I called again to order they said they had only new for $500 more.
I placed an order but was required to confirm the invoice that now included a core charge ($500) and a incoming freight (from the factory to Foley) charge of $90.
They would not use my UPS # so they had to pay their inflated shipping charge $400.
I was on the road heading to the boat at the time and had committed to getting the transmission shipped next day from Foley. I read the invoice the best I could using my cell phone on the side of the road and decided I had no choice at that time.
I was in a rush and should have done a better job pinning these guys down (clearly my fault) but I have not experienced this with other companies in the marine industry.
All worked out , put I would never deal with Foley again. Is this typical of these guys?
You're very lucky it all worked out. Others have not been so fortunate.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 11:05   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I have had similar dealings with that sociopath "Dr Diesel". I have yet to talk to a single person who has had a good experience with him.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:27   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I have had similar dealings with that sociopath "Dr Diesel". I have yet to talk to a single person who has had a good experience with him.

Mark
Yep X 2
Old 22-07-2014, 05:38   #8

Boat: center console

Liar and thief in person as well
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 07:30   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Gee, am I understated or what?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 16:18   #10

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Thanks for the heads up on this outfit, I have Hurth hbw-450s and Foley was on my list for parts when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 16:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If someone asked me to give a credit card number just to get a quote from them I would run away so fast the road runner would not keep up.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 10:08   #12

They did the same thing to me! Sent my Hurth tranny for rebuild, then they tried to sell me new one, with all kinds of add-on pricing, including import charge from Italy! Ended up buying new from someone in Wash State, for less than their rebuild quote! Also demanded they send me back my tranny. Opened it up, and only problem was input/output bearings, which I bought for 18 bucks from local auto store, and replaced. Now I have a backup tranny. Replacing those bearings is pretty easy process, just like wheel bearings on a car axle!
BTW, talking to a guy who calls himself Dr. Diesel, and refuses to give you his name is ridiculous! If I lived near them I woudl have punched him in nose!
Rettsie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:32   #13
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If someone asked me to give a credit card number just to get a quote from them I would run away so fast the road runner would not keep up.
I was not clear on that. It's not that he says first give me your credit card then I'll give you a price, It's just that after you get a price and commit to the purchase, he then says that he will email the invoice and you must approve prior to shipping. It's at that time you get the additional charges like $95 inbound freight and $500 core deposit.

Surprise , I just got a thank-you note from Doctor Diesel. Wow such misdirected energy. Someone needs to help this guy deal with humans.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:39   #14

We used Foley once and they charged us a 20% "restock fee" on a returned n-i-b item. Never again.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine