Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 11:57   #46

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: Damaged from non use?

+10 To Originally Posted by fryewe
What I recommend:..
My boat had a 10yr refit. 3gm30f/ KM3p
Did similar on recommission.
Was not winterised, or run during 10yrs.
Have just put 30 hrs on it, now needs tailshaft oil seal as misting the bilge,
and a re-align drive train as hull settles.
Changing oils & saltwater impeller is a must. I also serviced anything that looked dodgy, ie new engine mounts, heat exchanger flush,rusty external oil lines, fuel lift pump, exhaust elbow & blast/paint ; may have got away with not doing most of it.
Cost about a boat buck in parts- $1000
YMMV.

lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:58   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rawson 30PH

In the last year I have completed 2 engine replacements in an older sailboat - one Yanmar and one Beta. The engine and systems quality, ease of maintenance and distribution /dealer network competence & service quality was night and day different... the Beta experience was much better - for over 30% less total cost!

Yanmar seems to be focused on the new boat market, with a very expensive/difficult dealer network that you are forced to deal with to avoid warranty issues.

Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:00   #48

If your boat is in the caribbean and has not had the engine sealed or turned over regularly there is a very good chance the motor will be seized up due to highly humid air entering through exhaust/air intake depending on how it has been left. I too would look around for a second marina quote and see if you can do all the disconnections as mentioned above. I bought a boat with a seized Yanmar engine and despite taking the head off and pouring loads of release agent/ diesel fuel into pot only managed to free it after I had dropped the sump,removed the crankshaft and hammered hell out of the piston from the top (with big hammer and piece of wood)
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:11   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Could you possibly hire an independent mechanical surveyor to check the engine for you? I would assume (I know, wrong to assume) that the marina allows surveyors in the yard. A surveyor should be able to tell you the state of the engine and advise on next step. You could explain to the marina that you want a survey as second opinion. This is probably what I would do as I have little knowledge of diesel mechanics. I think that I'd trust a reputable surveyor over a yard manager. I'd agree that if the surveyor says the engine is toast that I'd arrange a splash an tow to another yard.
Old 14-01-2017, 12:27   #50

I forgot one thing on my previous post:

- after the engine and transmission have been run alongside the pier, change the oil and transmission fluid again, including the oil filter.

- change all that again after about 25 hours of operation, then return to the normal interval for lubrication servicing.

Again, good luck.

Don't be frightened by the seeming complexity of all this if you are new to boats and engines. When I started, I didn't know nothing, as they say (otherwise, I wouldn't have abused my engine), and would never have continued boating if I had to pay for every little maintenance item. My budget would have been busted quickly (still would be!).

If you can afford to pay someone to do everything, and don't have time or energy to do things yourself, that's okay...but someday, underway, when the marina folks are unavailable, if you learn to do things yourself the knowledge you will have gained will let you avoid an existing or impending unsafe condition that otherwise could cause you or your crew or your boat great harm. I think we all have experienced at least one or two of those situations if we've sailed for any length of time, and you are not likely to be exempt from having to run that gauntlet if you continue sailing.

One last thought: I haven't had any experience with yards doing maintenance on my boat, only lifting her in and out and pressure washing her, but my dockmates' experiences that I have observed have been frustrating and costly for them. One diesel mechanic took more than a year to install a new engine in one boat nearly. Yard personnel, especially those that work outside on the more menial tasks, are sometimes transients with little experience at the tasks they are sometimes assigned. Significant oversight is often not provided. How will you evaluate the quality of maintenance and service provided by your marina without a basic understanding of your systems?
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:02   #51

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Yard personnel, especially those that work outside on the more menial tasks, are sometimes transients with little experience at the tasks they are sometimes assigned. Significant oversight is often not provided. How will you evaluate the quality of maintenance and service provided by your marina without a basic understanding of your systems?
^^^ This.

Two issues. First, guys on the lower rungs, transient or no, often make mistakes, or are sloppy, or rush a job, even in the best yards. When I first bought my current boat I had the yard do a few things as I was pressed for time to move the boat. It was a Brewer yard with possibly the best reputation on Long Island Sound. I had them install new batteries and a new domestic water pump. A very nice young man, seemingly earnest and competent did the work. The batteries were misfired and the pressure pump was actually connected backwards, blowing bubbles into the tank, lol.

Up the ladder, it's a matter of how good the individual worker is, and just because the yard has a good overall reputation does not mean the guy working on your boat is good. He/she might be slow (resulting in inflated hours billed), mistake prone, or just not very good. A lot of work requires problem solving and diagnosis, and some people are just not very good at that. Some workers are set in their ways ("This is the way we've always done it." etc). Pick individuals to work on your boat, based on references, not whole yards.

This has been true at every yard I've been to. You get pretty good at figuring out who's good and who's not, and adjusting your work order accordingly.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:12   #52

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg37yawl View Post
Thanks Peter O.,

The 30 to 40 hours he quoted was to pull the old engine and drop in a new Yanmar complete unit. I am not allowed to work on the boat so what ever I decide they must complete all of the work.

Thanks
Whether or not you want/need to replace engine/transmission, get a tow out of that marina. Any marina that won't let you work on your own boat would not get any of my business. I guess what gets tolerated gains a hold in our way of thinking and therefore gains acceptance. I know boat yards that deny entry to tradespeople that will directly compete with their own staff, but never heard of yards/marinas that won't even let the owner work his own property. Sheesh... guess "down under" things are just different than "topside".
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:36   #53

Boat: 1972 WHITBY BOAT WORKS 37 ALBERG MK II YAWL

I did get this picture from the yard. Thought it might add a bit more information.
Alberg37yawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:46   #54

I am not sure why I cant post a picture on here Lets try this again. I relieved this picture from the boat yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16113257_1629062487397887_6104112698365376188_o.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	139628  
Old 14-01-2017, 14:54   #55

Boat: Valiant 40

That picture doesn't really tell you anything. While it's not confidence inspiring, a diesel can look like &^$% and run like a champ. Hoses look newer, FWIW. Alternator looks pretty sketch but you never know.

If it turns out it does run and you end up keeping it you'll want to clean it up and give it some cans of paint, but that's for later.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:17   #56

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Some older Mercedes, left for decades in a field. Valve adjustment, filter and fluid change. Removed from field, under its own power. Not surgically clean but, shows what's possible.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:24   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes,

That engine had a raw water leak, and then the water evaporated, leaving behind some salt. Easy to clean, but may well have been running okay when shut down. When the drips get on the fan belt, it throws them all over the place. And, it can be a very minor leak.

Ann
Old 14-01-2017, 16:11   #58

Thanks again everyone. I will do my very best not to be an askhole. Lots of helpful advise.
Old 14-01-2017, 16:19   #59

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg37yawl View Post
Hello everyone, I am in the process of working on a 1973 37 ALBERG MK II YAWL. I don't have a lot of history on this boat but have been told by a surveyor the boat is in great condition, and though it needs a bottom job it is water ready. That being said he did not check the engine or transmission. The boat is on the hard and has been there for 4 years. I spoke to the marina about having the engines oil changed, and the fuel system serviced. The manager told me I should have the engine swapped out because the transmission has been "dry" for so many years. Does this make any sense? Or should I look elsewhere for a marina? Thanks.

BTW the engine is a Perkins Perama m35 again I do not know the service history or hours of this engine. I only know it is not original to the Alberg.

I would change the oil, make sure it has adequate cooling, make sure the engine turns over alright, drain, clean and refill the fuel system and bleed the pump, then see if it will start. The gearbox, unless full of water, should be just fine.

Perkins are good engines and all parts should still be available. If there is a problem after years of idleness it may well be the rubber seals in the water pumps.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 17:02   #60

Have seen a 25 year old diesel engine start up on the first go after all those years sitting at the docks at the Kaneohe Yacht Club. double ender named "Faith" , wooden ketch. Ugly as sin. But some intrepid buyer bought her and she fired right up. To the amazement of all, especially me who sat right across the ways from her.

reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote