Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2014, 06:09   #1

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta
Cutless Bearing In Fiberglass Shaft Tube

Has anyone here installed one into a fiberglass shaft tube?

When I removed the old one I needed to apply heat and bang like hell with a pipe and hammer to get it out. The new one I can almost push in by hand! Thinking when old bearing was installed they used either 4200 or 5200 type sealant to bond it into the shaft tube. There are two set screws that where threaded thru the fiberglass tube but would not trust them to hold bearing in place.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:24   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Cutless Bearing In Fiberglass Shaft Tube

If you can almost but not quite push it by hand then it sounds like a pretty snug fit. I used the set screws and then packed some epoxy just where it exits the tube only. This epoxy can easily be chipped out when time to replace next time. I would not want to coat it with 5200 as next time will be a bear. One tip, before you tighten the set screws and apply epoxy slide your shaft in and center in the tube where it enters the engine room. You would be surprised how a cutlass bearing that seems tight can be off enough to cause the shaft to be off center at the other end of the tube.

Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern View Post
Has anyone here installed one into a fiberglass shaft tube?

When I removed the old one I needed to apply heat and bang like hell with a pipe and hammer to get it out. The new one I can almost push in by hand! Thinking when old bearing was installed they used either 4200 or 5200 type sealant to bond it into the shaft tube. There are two set screws that where threaded thru the fiberglass tube but would not trust them to hold bearing in place.

Appreciate any thoughts.

hi noreastern
the way you removed the old one is common problem , scale and "rust" from the brass cylinder of the cutlass bearing is causing this.
sometimes if i see that needs too much force to remove it i put Descalex , it is an industrial chemical and comes out more easy , or if it a bronze bracket heat it up and will come out.
Remember don't apply any locking sealant.

don;t be afraid about how the bearing is holding into place , those 2 screws are enough to hold it very tight.just drill and thread also the brass.
About how it fits it is correct it must go easy in.

M.E
Old 11-06-2014, 21:01   #4

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

All responses here and on other forums say to use no sealant or adhesive for bearing. Guess set screws even thru fiberglass are enough to keep bearing in place. I would have never thought so but all have said it is so, sooooo.....??

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-06-2014, 17:40   #5

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

We did exactly what Dave852 said, last spring. A bit of 5200 and two set screws seems to have done the trick.

When the wife and I first started the job it seemed quite daunting put proved to be quite simple. You are doing OK my friend.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:57   #6

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Next time, try this. Cutless-Bearing Replacement Cut a lengthwise slot in the side wall of the brass. I used a long blade on a saws-all reciprocating saw. It took all of 5 minutes. The bearing easily is removed once the tube can collapse. One change to the picture however, if your shaft support is outboard, cut up towards the strut. The met5al will be thickest here in case you nick the bearing holder. Use a piece of all-thread to fashion a puller either for removal or installation. I would avoid hammering on any of the parts if possible.
Old 12-06-2014, 18:31   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I researched this problem a while ago and the best solution I found, imo, is to use an epoxy that has a low temperature at which it softens. There are some epoxies that soften as low as 60 deg Celcius. To remove the bearing later is simply a matter of heating the bearing until the epoxy softens enough to extract the bearing from it's housing.
Old 12-06-2014, 20:41   #8

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I researched this problem a while ago and the best solution I found, imo, is to use an epoxy that has a low temperature at which it softens. There are some epoxies that soften as low as 60 deg Celcius. To remove the bearing later is simply a matter of heating the bearing until the epoxy softens enough to extract the bearing from it's housing.
Based on that, perhaps urethane hot melt glue?
Old 12-06-2014, 20:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I recently fitted a resin cased cutlass bearing. It was cheap !! And 6 months later its doing just fine. Never understood why they have to be encased in brass or bronze.. And infinately easier to chip out. For a 1 3/4 in shaft it worked out at 22USD and I have 3 spares. They use them on a lot of fishing boats and dive boats around hear so they must work !

Tags
fiberglass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: