Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2016, 06:08   #1

Cutless Bearing, I'm In Deep Trouble...

Hi,

While removing the bearing from the cutless housing I damaged the tread. Once I tried to put it back on the stern tube (see pictures) it turns couple of times and then it falls off. It wonít bite. Now I had an engineer to have a look and I got this answer: ďThe thread on the bearing housing is badly damaged and a new housing should be fitted. The stern tube thread is also damaged and is pink due to dezincification and is weak and spongy. To carry out a permanent repair this would involve cutting the old stern tube from the boat and fitting new tube and housing. The cost for this will be 6000 US.Ē

Iíll buy a new housing (not sure if it will work?), but do any of you have any proposals how to repair that bearing on the stern tube without cutting it out?

the boat is HR42e
Thanks in advance for any inputs

Old 12-04-2016, 06:18   #2

Re: cutless bearing, I'm in deep trouble...

[IMG]C:\Users\RFI\Desktop\ama\waterfool\IMG_0474_ok.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\RFI\Desktop\ama\waterfool\IMG_0476_ok.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\RFI\Desktop\ama\waterfool\IMG_0479_ok.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\RFI\Desktop\ama\waterfool\cutlessbearing. jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2016, 06:25   #3

Boat: searching...

Hi, there is long conversation (among others) in the HR Yahoo Group. Maybe worth checking there for details with your boat ...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/6238

Good Luck
M.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:53   #4

And now with the picturesClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460465543.662571.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	122523Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460465556.269226.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	122524Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460465567.391789.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	122525Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460465591.852274.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	122526

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-04-2016, 07:56   #5

Can that be helicoiled?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-04-2016, 08:32   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

The inner end of that stern tube may be threaded into a bearing/shaft seal housing. Could it be unscrewed a little from that so that more threaded area is then available on the outside to screw the cutlass housing on, maybe with an extra layer of thread sealant tape?

I do not see how it would be necessary to 'cut' the old tube free to replace it as it simply screws in place surely, so remove inner housing push tube out, push new tube in thread into inner housing and screw into place, screw on new outer cutlass housing. That is from someone who has no specific work experience on HRs but would work on all my previous boats., in fact I did a similar job on a Westerly
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34   #7

How much thread is available on the stern tube? If the endmost threads are shot but there are deeper intact threads you may be able to have the threaded section of the bearing tube extended by a good machine shop (non marine!!) They would put the tube in a lathe, slice off say half of the threaded section and then braze on an extension piece and thread the extension to match old threads. Or completely make a new bearing with longer threads. Strictly speaking only three threads need to be engaged to provide full strength in tension loading, yours are longer to provide solid support against side loads, from the prop walk, and to ensure tube-bearing alignment. The price of boat repairs is staggering, got an old Porsche that can suck up a boat-buck/grand without blinking. Taught me to see what a good machinist can do before sourcing fresh OEM/repro parts.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:47   #8

Can you not drill and tap one sizer larger?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:04   #9

I would be very surprised if it really had to be cut out and I would try drifting out the old tube, in which case replacing the tube isnít that costly, just irritating. As it appears to have begun de-zincifying, maybe that is the best thing.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:32   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

Two problems:
  • The bearing housing - I'd take it to a machine shop and see if they can clean up the threads for you. Looking at the photos it is likely only the first couple of threads that are damaged. This presumes you and your engineer are correct and it is the threads on the bearing housing side that are damaged, as opposed the the threads on the end of the stern tube. If the threads can't be fixed then a new housing is in order (sourcing it may be a pain, but installing should be pretty straightforward). If it is actually the threads on the stern tube, well, the pictures look like it is almost impossible to get in there and clean things up.
  • The de-zincing of the stern tube. I'd get a second opinion on that before proceeding. It can be a significant problem, and isn't a simple repair. Get a second opinion on the remaining quality of the stern tube. If the opinion confirms the first engineer then you have a major task at hand in getting the old tube out and replacing it.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:52   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

I took the liberty of marking up a couple of photos to make sure we're all on the same page. Amarf, can you confirm?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Male threads.PNG
Views:	180
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	122531
Click image for larger version

Name:	Female threads.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	122532
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

A little bit of work but no where near the $6 g estimate;

1) remove your shaft - should have a flange connection on the inside before the transmission
2) Get a piece of pipe close to the diameter of the stern tube shell and punch the tube out. It will most likely be easier to do this from outside since you can get a better swing at the pipe/drift. If this prove difficult, use a reciprocal saw to cut a stem to stern slice out of the stern tube and then use a chisel to collapse the tube and pull it out.
3) Take the external cutlass bearing housing along with a new cutlass bearing and a new stern tube to a machine shop.
4) Have the machine shop clean up the threads on the cutlass bearing housing and if necessary rebuild or cut off the damaged thread area - whatever is required to get a good solid fit between the new stern tube and the external housing.
5) When you fit the new stern tube into your shaft tunnel, keep in mind any deviation in length that was made by the machining, ie if it was necessary to remove 1/4 inch from the threaded portion of the external housing, then the stern tube will have to be fitted so that its final mounted position is 1/4 inch further astern then the original was. Thixo or other epoxy repair/bonding can be used to fill the minor space as well as secure the new stern tube in place.
6) Dry fit everything together. If it looks good, install the shaft, slide the new stern tube over shaft, coat the stern tube and mating surface on the stern tunnel with suitable epoxy cement, lightly grease the shaft and slide the stern tube in place. While the cement is still workable, mount the external cutlass bearing housing and screw the external threads into the stern tube. Snug up then back off 1/4 turn and secure the housing with the upper and lower bolts.
7) Allow ample time for the cement to cure. Then move the external housing back on the shaft and grease the shaft. Clean up any excess cement. Reassemble the external bearing housing to the stern tube snugging the screw together coupling with a drop of anaerobic thread sealant. Do not overtighten, snug is good.
8) Pat yourself on the back for doing the job right and saving at least $5 G
Old 12-04-2016, 10:22   #13

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

If just the threads were buggered a sharp tap/die would chase them. The pink to me is the detriment. I would check Buck-Algonquin...for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-04-2016, 10:46   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

MCOS is right, there's a bit of work here but nowhere near the 6K mark. Different boat, of course, but have done something very similar. We did major structural work that required us to remove and replace a countertimber so this meant also remove and replace the 3"x3' bronze shaft log (this is bored through the countertimber of the wood boat) as well as external cutlass bearing. The shaft log had to be trashed to get it out -- it was pink. We had some pinking on the inside stuffing box as well. We went to a machine shop with the stuffing box, had it re threaded (getting rid of the pinking, had a shaft log made from a bronze tube we bought for the purpose (just threaded both ends really), bought a new Buck-Algonquin housing (stern tube) for the cutlass bearing since the old one was a little pink as well.

We used a marine machine shop (that happened to be doing our 1-3/4" prop shaft) to do the threading on the shaft log to match the new Buck-Algonquin stern tube and re-threading on the interior bronze stuffing box to get rid of the pink. Cost of machining was maybe $200 max (2009) and then there was the 3' bronze shaft log and the Buck-Algonquin bronze housing/stern tube for the cutlass bearing. The on-boat labor we did all ourselves--the removal was a couple hours max, the drilling of a new 3" dia x 3ft long shaft for the bronze shaft log through the wood countertimber (you won't do this) was hairy and took better part of a day. Screwing inside/outside together and bolts/fasteners maybe a couple hours at the end. Your situation is different of course, but this seems no where near 6K to me.

Best of luck in getting what you need together nicely--and in an affordable manner.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:45   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Seems odd that the inner housing (male thread part) dezinced and the outer one looks good...but stranger things have happened. The female threads look a long way from 'badly damaged' to me, you should be able to clean it up enough with a wire brush and some type of sharp pointed metal tool, or if absolutely necessary a bottom tap (though that may be hard to come by). If you can pull the shaft, it may help to re-thread the housing on, the new cutlass brg is probably a little off center, keeping the outer housing from getting a good start because the shaft is holding it a little cockeyed. Sometimes a little force is needed, it may be necessary to get an experienced mechanic to help.

If the inner housing is truly dezinced, then of course it should be replaced, but not for 6000.00...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: