Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 13:04   #16

Re: cutless bearing, I'm in deep trouble...

Is that threaded connection structural ?

My stern tube seals with O rings. I just had it out, to replace the ones up by the stuffing box.

The tube is between the two ends in open air.

Are you sure yours hasn't slipped up, into the hull.

PS: I slice the bearing and collapse it. I don't remove the housing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 13:44   #17

@dsanduril, female housing, I already drilled approx. 3 mm off the female housing. It is easily seen on the picture. These where damaged in the process of removing the bearing. STUPID! I now ordered the new female housing 250 US and I will see if it will go on. When I tried to put it on in the last attempt and after removing 3 mm of the housing tread it feels like it bites on and falls off after one round. I only assume that the tube tread is damaged. However that is what the engineer said. The situation can also be that the tread on the female housing can not go on and a new housing will solve the case. I¨m also concerned about the pink colour! I¨m also considering to find a steel pipe with a proper diameter and cut a tread on the inside of the pipe and try to see if it will go on. The hard and sharp tread might also repair the first couple of windings if they were damaged. I talked to HR and they confirmed that it needs to be cut off from outside. The boat is in Southampton UK, and if any of you can appoint a company or a professional who could come with second opinion, both on the pink stuff but also for re instalation of the tube, I would appreciate to get contact info

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 13:56   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

Sorry, don't know anyone on that side of the pond. Dockhead, Atoll, and Boatman on this forum (and probably some others I don't know) are relatively local and might be able to make recommendations.

I did like the suggestion above that it could be the cutless bearing itself holding things slightly out of alignment. When you get the new housing try the installation first without the cutless bearing in place, that should allow a little but more latitude in alignment. Might even want to try that with the current unit (if you can get the bearing back out). If you can install it without the cutless bearing you might want to investigate alignment, or see of you can get a little play in the shaft by disconnecting inside the boat, installing the bearing housing, then re-connecting the shaft.

I only have a small amount of experience with de-zinced bronze, what I have seen is usually quite red/pink all the way through. You might hit the very end of the stern tube with some sanding to expose a fresh surface and see what it looks like. From the picture doesn't look terrible, but I am not a metallurgist.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 14:03   #19

@jimbunyard you are right about the decentralising with the new rubber inside. Maybe I will try with the new housing without the bearing inside...

Old 12-04-2016, 14:05   #20

Boat: Outremer 50S

You might have a look here:

Brass and Bronze

If you scroll down to about the middle of the page there is a good discussion on dezincification and lots of sample photos. And the general recommendation seems to be to expose fresh metal to make a real determination if the extent is large or just surface. This shot seems the most telling:

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 14:30   #21

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

What about replacing stern tube with G-10. Available from McMaster Carr. No more de-sinking issues. No threads. Just epoxy in place
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:09   #22

“The thread on the bearing housing is badly damaged and a new housing should be fitted. The stern tube thread is also damaged and is pink due to dezincification and is weak and spongy.

Bring your fitting to a plumber to try and match a die. Probably has a tap and die to clean and straighten the threads.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:43   #23

Re: Cutless Bearing, I'm In Deep Trouble...

Thanks for all input, /the new housing arrived and it went on with no probs. One question more, Do I need to pack&seal the thread or is it going on without anything_

Old 25-04-2016, 09:53   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarf View Post
Thanks for all input, /the new housing arrived and it went on with no probs. One question more, Do I need to pack&seal the thread or is it going on without anything_

GOod news! Now invoice yourself $1000 for services rendered, dispute the charge and go spend the money thus saved!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 14:14   #25

They should be tight and sealed.

Tight so vibration doesn't wear the threads.

Sealed so it don't leak water.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote