Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 01:07   #1

Cut/drill hole for prop shaft?

A thought crossed my mind to replace saildrive with a shaft. But...how do I make the hole for it? Do I need to setup a drill jig, or can I cut out a rectangular piece and fill with epoxy and glass?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Cut/drill hole for prop shaft?

Sheesh, do you like living in a board yard? I would leave well alone or even buy a new sail drive if needed rather than muck about changing to a shaft.

If you do, make sure the shaft is offset slightly so that the shaft can be drawn out past the rudder.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 02:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cut/drill hole for prop shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
A thought crossed my mind to replace saildrive with a shaft. But...how do I make the hole for it? Do I need to setup a drill jig, or can I cut out a rectangular piece and fill with epoxy and glass?
as the boat is a trimaran i am assuming the boat has no keel,and barn door type rudder arrangement.

then the prop shaft will be exiting the underside of the hull in front of the rudder and skeg arrangement.

for engine alignment without having to use a CV joint and thrust bearing arrangement the prop shaft is best aligned between 8-12 degrees from horizontal.

so you will probably will be cutting a long oval hole in the boat,inserting a fiberglass tube then laminating this in position.
depending on how you intend on supporting the shaft you may also need a "P" or "Y" bracket.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote